• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Özil is finished.

running a few metres more will not change that.

He can't shoot. His only asset is his passing and sadly some of them doesn't come off. In his peak, he was undoubtedly the best in his position, but times have changed. We need all round midfielders not an overpaid No 10 who the game has passed by.

Some Arsenal fans are still rooting for him for no other reason than for them to convince themselves that Emery was the only reason Özil was playing ****.

If we want to make our midfield more solid, I think Özil should be dropped and we should get back to a 3 man midfield. I think Long term, that's what Arteta will be playing.
Özil just won't work. I even saw a couple of posters last week saying we should keep him past this summer. 350kpw just to run around and play a couple of great passes a game is a steep price we can't afford to pay especially now that we need all the cash we can get to fund our summer business. Sadly, it will be almost impossible to shift him. He likes it here.

Look at KDB, opponents don't know how to mark him because he's unpredictable. He can shoot and pass with both foot.

Look at Özil, some posters are blaming our CMs for not giving the ball to Özil quick enough. I remember under Wenger, it was giroud that was the problem, he wasn't pacy. Then we got Walcott playing upfront, then it was "oh, he's not a good finisher". Then Auba is here now, "but...but our CMs are holding Özil back"
The few times he got the ball between the lines he played two terrible passes to Marty.

Some of you are blaming xhaka and Torreira, I seem to remember them giving Özil the ball in a few occasions, but he did nothing with it.
The truth is that Özil has a lot of die hards that will always blame other players his underperformance.

He has improved in the last 6 games, but let's face it if this is his "level of improvement" why TF should we keep him around and pay 350kpw.

Thanks Ivan, you really did us a solid. I hope you get what you deserve

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
You guys ever seen Pogba/McTominay shrug off defenders? That's what you need in a CM. A bit of strength.

Özil made a run everytime the CMs got the ball. But they couldn\t pass it because they have to take another touch. By that time, the opportunity is gone. Xhaka cannot shield the ball and Torreiera is meh!

This is not about Özil. This is about Arsenal having such a wek-ass midfield.
I thought it was Emery that was holding him back or giroud

:lol: :rofl:

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
And before the it was Emery, and before that it was because Cazorla had gone, and before that it was because we had no strikers, and before that it was something else etc.. Mate, you must be getting so bored of this? :lol: And now we’re going to create this ‘it’s the midfield who can’t find his runs’ narrative. Wait... Torreira isn’t Pirlo and Xhaka is toilet... Yeah, this one might have legs!
Mate, if you take him out of the team, we are even worse. Prove me wrong.

I am concerned you will just move your attention to any other easy scapegoat and forget the bigger issue. Rinse and repeat.

Emery and OG held the whole club back, not just Özil, unless of course your shole support revolves around hating Özil.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
Mate, if you take him out of the team, we are even worse. Prove me wrong.
Highly debatable, as our results over the last 18 months or so will show or prove to you, if you'd accept that as proof? Anyway, at this point it means very little even if true, because if we took Luiz or Socratis out of it, we'd be worse. What does that mean? Both of them are **** on a stick, right? What other sub-standard/non-performing players would we miss?

I am concerned you will just move your attention to any other easy scapegoat and forget the bigger issue. Rinse and repeat.

Well fear not, lad. No cause for concern, because the attentions of most of the forum are already on the players I mercilessly 'scapegoat'

P.s., It's not even 'scapegoating' by definition. All I'm doing is saying he was sh!t. I 'm not blaming the result or even the 'bigger issue' on Özil.

Give it a few weeks and you'll be blaming Arteta.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Cannot think of one Arsenal player getting away with so many subpar games and as little impact as Özil has over the years. The excuses change, but Özil is never to blame. I must say I am impressed with the patience and inventiveness of his fanboys.

Thankfully his contract runs out 2021. So at worst it is another 18 months of this thread to go. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, although it is still faint.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Highly debatable, as our results over the last 18 months or so will show or prove to you, if you'd accept that as proof? Anyway, at this point it means very little even if true, because if we took Luiz or Socratis out of it, we'd be worse. What does that mean? Both of them are **** on a stick, right? What other sub-standard/non-performing players would we miss
let time decide the matter then.

roz

Fake News Merchant
Cannot think of one Arsenal player getting away with so many subpar games and as little impact as Özil has over the years. The excuses change, but Özil is never to blame. I must say I am impressed with the patience and inventiveness of his fanboys.

Thankfully his contract runs out 2021. So at worst it is another 18 months of this thread to go. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, although it is still faint.
Its mental. In my time as an Arsenal fan I can never quite remember a player taking us to the cleaners as much as Mesut has. But its ok coz he gives to charity ya know

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I do remember those “Özil not getting assists because he has Giroud to pass to” excuses. Is Auba Giroud too?
It's a bit cheap to try and bring up that point now when we all know that this Özil is not the same Özil who was playing with Giroud.

Reactions: A_G

progman07

Established Member

Giroud did hold him back. But he aged a few years since then.

Emery was wrong in the sense that we created nothing without Özil, yet he was so reluctant to try and play him. We don't really have better, Willock is the only fit option who might be replacing him, but I don't see a huge huge potential in there unfortunately, so we might as well rely on Özil until we can replace him finally.

It's quite simple, we used to have 4-5 technically immaculate, mobile players whose primary position was 8/10, now we only have an aging Özil.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
EOug5fvX0AATkdp.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom