• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

say yes

forum master baiter
I still don’t really understand what Kroenke has to do with all this. I’m not a Kroenke fan at all (let’s be honest, he’s a parasite), but his only involvement in this saga so far has been to put money into the club. Quite the opposite of what he is being accused of.

The fact he is brought up on nearly every page of this thread reads like nothing more than classic whataboutery: don’t dare criticise millionaire Özil when billionaire Kroenke could have put more of his own money into the club!

The story, at least as far as I can see, is that Arteta called each player individually to see if they’d consent to a temporary paycut to help solve the club’s (not Kroenke’s) cash flow issues. Every member of the squad was entitled to refuse, but only three did. One of whom is by far our biggest earner. Like Mesut or loathe him, that’s it.

As a fan of the club, I’m disappointed he didn’t accept because it reduces the club’s room to improve the squad in the transfer window. I also think that when you’re already a multi-multi-millionaire, all the games which you’re paid to play in have been cancelled, and the club and it’s new manager have taken the unprecedented step of asking this favour of you - during a global crisis - you probably lose far more than you gain by refusing. And it’s hardly going to play well with the rest of the squad: none of whom are as rich as Mesut, but all of whom (bar the other two) decided to put the team’s interests above their own.

But hey ho. Mesut was entitled to refuse and it’s hardly surprising that he has. He’s never been the type to play for the name on the front of the shirt. Just further underlines what a disaster his contract extension has been.

Last edited:

GDeep™

League is very weak
The story, at least as far as I can see, is that Arteta called each player individually to see if they’d consent to a temporary paycut to help solve the club’s (not Kroenke’s) cash flow issues. Every member of the squad was entitled to refuse, but only three did. One of whom is by far our biggest earner. Like Mesut or loathe him, that’s it.

As a fan of the club, I’m disappointed he didn’t accept because it reduces the club’s room to improve the squad in the transfer window.

No, the story is that half the squad refused and many later felt forced to agree, that’s been reported. Özil is happy to accept a bigger pay cut or deferral as long as the club show more transparency. What’s wrong with that? That’s the story.

Your 2nd paragraph is just you being the Özil hating scumbag we all know you are, you bellened.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Fair play to Özil.

But the guy just donated a fraction of his daily income to the Sierra Leoneans, it's not like it's earth shattering stuff.
How much do you want him to donate?

razörist

No, the story is that half the squad refused and many later felt forced to agree, that’s been reported. Özil is happy to accept a bigger pay cut or deferral as long as the club show more transparency. What’s wrong with that? That’s the story.

Your 2nd paragraph is just you being the Özil hating scumbag we all know you are, you bellened.
Its always the same ****, scumbag journo’s know exactly what to write to get the caveman blood of the internet warriors boiling. I reckon that Özil has taken ****s that have added more value to this world than all these clowns on here in their lifetimes.

say yes

forum master baiter

No, that’s what you’d like the story to be. Typical Özil cult mentality. Sideline the central facts (Özil is one of only three who didn’t accept club’s offer after a personal intervention from Arteta); try and pick oddbits from other reports to weave together a narrative of undue pressure from the club (brave Özil resisting!); and then lob on an obviously idiotic yet tantalising falsehood at the end (Özil is actually willing to give up more than 12.5% if only the club would do XYZ!) to complete the circle. Anything to avoid criticism of Mr Özil. Only thing you missed out is a whAt aBoUt kRoEnke reference.

As for me being an “Özil hating scumbag”, I’ve spent most of my time on this forum defending him and being called the opposite by people like @Jury . I‘m just honest enough to admit that: (i) he’s been a bum for close to three seasons now; (ii) his contract extension was a disaster; and (iii) this refusal is an awful look for him. If that reality winds you and the rest of your little cult up then so be it.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Why doesn’t Kroenke donate a fraction of his wealth then?
The truth is he's not the only one to donate money to charitable cause. It pisses me to see the Özil acolytes make him out to be some sort saviour just because he donated a few thousand quids (a fraction of his daily earnings) to charity. As for Kroenke we don't know how much he has donated because unlike Özil he didn't actually go around crowing about it.

Like @say yes have saud, why is that any argument comes up about Özil, the Özil acolytes point their fingers at Kroenke and result to whataboutery.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

How much do you want him to donate?
He can donate as much as he wants or not donate at all. That's his prerogative. But let's not act like he's giving off a sizable portion of his earnings.

I seem to remember few days ago some Özil cultist were arguing that it was good that Özil didn't take a pay cut because they'd rather Özil gives the money to charity than see the money in Kroenke's pocket.

Now you beloved Özil only gave out about 0.01% of his weekly income to the charity in Sierra Leone. Again, I'm not criticizing him. It's his money and has the right to do what he wants with it.

If he commits and say "hey, I'm going to commit the said 12.5% of my weekly wage to charity" he'd have gone up in my estimation.

It's gone beyond parody now that when you criticize Özil for any reason, his Acolytes quickly points at his charity donation as if he's the only footballer giving to charity

Last edited:

say yes

forum master baiter
Are people like Gabriel Marcotti and Darren Bent etc Özil cultists/acolytes too or just AFC fans on here or twitter?
I don’t follow either of them, but I’m guessing what separates them from cültists like you is that they didn’t come to the story with a pre-conceived conclusion that Özil must be in the right automatically because it’s Mesut Özil, but rather formed their own view on the basis of the evidence before them.

Even though I disagree with their take, it’s a lot more persuasive coming from them than from people like you, who’ve shown time and time again they’d be on here defending Özil for murdering his own mother if they could.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I still don’t really understand what Kroenke has to do with all this. I’m not a Kroenke fan at all (let’s be honest, he’s a parasite), but his only involvement in this saga so far has been to put money into the club. Quite the opposite of what he is being accused of.

The fact he is brought up on nearly every page of this thread reads like nothing more than classic whataboutery: don’t dare criticise millionaire Özil when billionaire Kroenke could have put more of his own money into the club!

As a fan of the club, I’m disappointed he didn’t accept because it reduces the club’s room to improve the squad in the transfer window. I also think that when you’re already a multi-multi-millionaire, all the games which you’re paid to play in have been cancelled, and the club and it’s new manager have taken the unprecedented step of asking this favour of you - during a global crisis - you probably lose far more than you gain by refusing. And it’s hardly going to play well with the rest of the squad: none of whom are as rich as Mesut, but all of whom (bar the other two) decided to put the team’s interests above their own.

But hey ho. Mesut was entitled to refuse and it’s hardly surprising that he has. He’s never been the type to play for the name on the front of the shirt. Just further underlines what a disaster his contract extension has been.

I don’t get how other top clubs have agreed wage cuts with their players with the difference going to charity and other good causes yet we’re pleading poverty and the club survival is on the line if they can’t get 12.5% back.

How poorly a ran club are we ffs? We’re one of the biggest clubs in the world and our future rests on Özil giving his money back while Utd and others are leading the way.

Ultimately he should take a pay cut but all this “protect the club” is laughable, in a time of global crisis with small businesses and ordinary people facing incredibly uncertain futures crisis docking wages of millionaires to bail out football clubs worth 2 billion with an owner who’s one of the richest men in America should be way down the list in priorities.

Ultimately I think the club has been very underhand, using the court of public opinion to try and drive a wage cut through and save themselves some money.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Attacking Özil as a person = Just makes people look stupid, Özil has shown himself to be an amazing person of the field n done more for others than anyone on here will ever do
This is the sort of spazzy thing that you read on Twitter from a 14-year-old. Proportionately I can tell you this, I give more to charity than he does. I can assure you of that. Just because you do **** all doesn’t mean the rest of us don’t.

scytheavatar

Established Member
I don’t get how other top clubs have agreed wage cuts with their players with the difference going to charity and other good causes yet we’re pleading poverty and the club survival is on the line if they can’t get 12.5% back.

How poorly a ran club are we ffs? We’re one of the biggest clubs in the world and our future rests on Özil giving his money back while Utd and others are leading the way.

Ultimately he should take a pay cut but all this “protect the club” is laughable, in a time of global crisis with small businesses and ordinary people facing incredibly uncertain futures crisis docking wages of millionaires to bail out football clubs worth 2 billion with an owner who’s one of the richest men in America should be way down the list in priorities.

Ultimately I think the club has been very underhand, using the court of public opinion to try and drive a wage cut through and save themselves some money.

12.5% is tiny; other clubs are asking for 20-30%. Some like Barca are asking for 50%. You should be asking instead why our players are so selfish that even a tiny 12.5% cut is too much for them. Don't they realize that match day income makes up 25% of our revenues and it's now going to be 0 for probably until next year? We already are being super generous to ask the players to sacrifice so little, don't be surprise to see us ask the players for a second wage cut somewhere down the line.

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
12.5% is tiny; other clubs are asking for 20-30%. Some like Barca are asking for 50%. You should be asking instead why our players are so selfish that even a tiny 12.5% cut is too much for them. Don't they realize that match day income makes up 25% of our revenues and it's now going to be 0 for probably until next year? We already are being super generous to ask the players to sacrifice so little, don't be surprise to see us ask the players for a second wage cut somewhere down the line.
Kroenke is the one who needs to take the hit, not the employees (which includes players). They're on fixed contracts and take a salary in good times and bad. He's the equity holder and has all the upside as well.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

This is what really piss me off.

The Özil followers are all crying that 12.5% of their master's wage is going to be taken away neglecting the fact the club is loosing match day income.

Why is it that other clubs have agreed higher wage cuts with their players?

The excuse initially was that "Özil will take bigger wage cut than 12.5% provided certain conditions were met"

Then it became "The club is strong-arming players into taking a wage cut that's why Özil refused"

Then it was "All the money is going to Kroenke's pocket"

Now the excuse is "But...but the club shouldn't touch Özil's money because the money he earns goes into charity"

On-field excuses and off-field excuses

:rofl:

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

This is what really piss me off.

The Özil followers are all crying that 12.5% of their master's wage is going to be taken away neglecting the fact the club is loosing match day income.

Why is it that other clubs have agreed higher wage cuts with their players?

The excuse initially was that "Özil will take bigger wage cut than 12.5% provided certain conditions were met"

Then it became "The club is strong-arming players into taking a wage cut that's why Özil refused"

Then it was "All the money is going to Kroenke's pocket"

Now the excuse is "But...but the club shouldn't touch Özil's money because the money he earns goes into charity"

On-field excuses and off-field excuses

:rofl:

Shambles of a comment this.

Hardly a devout follower of Özil, was one of the first to call him washed but if you’d rather pipe off the club that doesn’t give a toss about you but still wants it’s 12.5% back then feel free. Mug.

Thats not my point, my point is why is it going back to the club?

It probably should be more than 12.5% but why when there’s a million other more worthy places for it to go is it going straight back to the club?

razörist

He can donate as much as he wants or not donate at all. That's his prerogative. But let's not act like he's giving off a sizable portion of his earnings.

I seem to remember few days some Özil cultist were arguing that it was good that Özil didn't take a pay cut because they'd rather Özil gives the money to charity than see the money in Kroenke's pocket.

Now you beloved Özil only gave out about 0.01% of his weekly income. Again, I'm not criticizing him. It's his money and has the right to do what he wants with it.

If he commits and say "hey, I'm going to commit the said 12.5% of my weekly wage to charity" he'd have gone up in my estimation.

It's gone beyond parody now that when you criticize Özil for any reason, his Acolytes quickly points at his charity donation as if he's the only footballer giving to charity
I don’t give a damn about his donations, you seem to care a lot though since you take a calculation of a random twitterguy as fact and assume that’s all he does. I think it’s pointless to criticize any donation from anybody since they are actually trying to help but hey its arsenal and its mesut Özil so its hot stuff. Don’t hear **** about the fact that Guardiola donated more on his own than the richy rich clubs from Manchester together, but hey, who cares. You guys need to stop feeding into this media circus and attacking your own players.

Kav

Established Member

You do know that there is no rational way for you to make a comparison between the different clubs without knowing the exact details of the terms agreed between the parties?

For example, in chelsea's case they want their players to take a 30% Cut in wages, however this is only for 3 months. So if a player makes 100k per week, he now takes home 70k for roughly 12 weeks. That equates to a loss of $360,000 in earnings over the 3 months.

At Arsenal that same player would be taking home $87,500.00 for an entire year losing $150,000 over the same 3 months and an additional $500,000 for the remainder of the year since the cut at arsenal is for an entire year. So the arsenal player is giving up $650,000 for the year. You can't compare apples and oranges.

We don't know what exactly other clubs are doing so we should not be basing our discussions on whatever rate cuts unless the terms are similar. I have heard that some clubs are mixing deferrals and wage cuts as part of their proposals. It is not that clear cut.

Much of this though is dependent on what the financial state of each club is, i suppose there will be significant variation between the liabilities and cash flow that each club has. Those will be the main factors.

This is why i understand Oil's position which was to get more information about the clubs finances, since they re asking him to take a pay cut in his final year of his contract it is reasonable for him to ask how badly do you need me to take a cut and how will it help the club and the staff if i do. If you can see the numbers it makes a decision a lot easier.

Pepes blue pill

This is the sort of spazzy thing that you read on Twitter from a 14-year-old. Proportionately I can tell you this, I give more to charity than he does. I can assure you of that. Just because you do **** all doesn’t mean the rest of us don’t.

**** man, I didnt know you n Özil are so close you know all about his finances, thats sick tho, you the MAN, imagine calling a comment spazzy and then comming out with what you did, incredible

GDeep™

League is very weak
I don’t follow either of them, but I’m guessing what separates them from cültists like you is that they didn’t come to the story with a pre-conceived conclusion that Özil must be in the right automatically because it’s Mesut Özil, but rather formed their own view on the basis of the evidence before them.

Even though I disagree with their take, it’s a lot more persuasive coming from them than from people like you, who’ve shown time and time again they’d be on here defending Özil for murdering his own mother if they could.
Don’t think this is fair, and actually says a lot about how you’re approaching this situation given my current Özil stance is in line with what I have been saying for weeks - footballers not being pressured into compromising their wages unless there is a clear need with no alternatives.

This has been my stance for weeks in the Covid thread whenever footballer wages have come up, long before this Özil situation.

I don’t give a toss about Özil, think he should be sold now or should’ve been sold last season, Raul and Vinai did say they won’t let players run deals down but we have 4/5 players running deals down after losing Ramsey for free. The real discussion now has to be how long Raul Sanhelli can survive at Arsenal given Arsenal are going backwards on the pitch and there are no improvements off it in terms of recruitment and contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom