• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnerShy

So Chelsea have rejected a pay cut from their players, meanwhile Aston Villa agree a 4 month deferral.

Arsenal getting their begging bowl out to their players for a pay cut over ONE YEAR looks pretty off atm, especially when you consider Arsenal champions itself as one of the best run clubs in England.
Reading the Chelsea statement they've rejected the pay cut because they want to come back at a later date and renegotiate a larger one that the 3.3% the players offered presumably based on the (then) known impact. Not unlike Özil's position really.

I agree it's strange we were so quick to agree one given that it may need to be revisited!

say yes

forum master baiter
I think I’m just shocked by how after the club has preached about security and sustainability for years with giant cash reserves we’re apparently up sh*t creek after an unexpected delay.

Our financial position really isn’t as robust as you seem to believe. Guys like SwissRamble on Twitter periodically do fantastic deep dives on this, go and have a read if you don’t believe me. Those cash reserves aren’t at our free disposal, and our finances have been pushed hard by our lack of CL football. Gazidis used to talk about how we had a contingency fund in case we dropped out of the CL for a year. Well we’re now heading to our fourth year out of it.

Also come on, unless I’ve misread you there, it’s absurd to describe the effect of Covid as just an “unexpected delay” ffs.
Ultimately if the club is in trouble then yes pay cuts for survival are acceptable, even if it is a bit of a slap in the face to regular people up and down the country.
I don’t follow you at all here. How’s it a slap in the face to regular people that the club want to temporarily cut footballer wages?
We're in bizarro world here. “I'm your boss, I'd like you and everyone else to take a 10% paycut during coronavirus so that we can hire new people.” In what other industry would that be acceptable?
What’s bizarre is comparing football to other regular industries.

How many other companies base their financial future around winning prize money? Or are limited in their ability to invest (FFP)? Or regularly trade employees to other companies for millions and millions of pounds? I could go on and on here. Simply put, football clubs are not normal businesses, and football players are not normal employees.

Anyway, it seems like we’re miles apart on this, so let’s just agree to disagree.

Reactions: Jae

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Our financial position really isn’t as robust as you seem to believe. Guys like SwissRamble on Twitter periodically do fantastic deep dives on this, go and have a read if you don’t believe me. Those cash reserves aren’t at our free disposal, and our finances have been pushed hard by our lack of CL football. Gazidis used to talk about how we had a contingency fund in case we dropped out of the CL for a year. Well we’re now heading to our fourth year out of it.

Also come on, unless I’ve misread you there, it’s absurd to describe the effect of Covid as just an “unexpected delay” ffs.

I don’t follow you at all here. How’s it a slap in the face to regular people that the club want to temporarily cut footballer wages?

What’s bizarre is comparing football to other regular industries.

How many other companies base their financial future around winning prize money? Or are limited in their ability to invest (FFP)? Or regularly trade employees to other companies for millions and millions of pounds? I could go on and on here. Simply put, football clubs are not normal businesses, and football players are not normal employees.

Anyway, it seems like we’re miles apart on this, so let’s just agree to disagree.

At the end of the day without getting bogged down as I’ll freely admit I don’t know the ins and outs of the football club so really if they need the money that badly, fine go for it. A little shocking but it is what is.

How many other companies base their financial future around winning prize money?

But I’m sorry asking players to fund transfer budgets is laughable and I think deep down you know it is, most businesses need to thrive in order to increase profits. Yes football clubs are orientated towards prize money, but any private enterprise is geared towards securing something that will reward them financially be it market share, contracts or whatever it’s just football clubs are on a much more public stage.

Football clubs don’t operate in a total bubble despite what you seem to be saying, they have unionised employees with contracts and asking them to fund recruitment through garnished wages is beyond parody.

Actually think of the logistics of what you’re suggesting, if someone like Auba wants to leave in the next window what benefit is it to him that we’re docking his wage to fund new signings? Or what about some poor youth player who’s getting booted at the end of the season, doesn’t do him much good either really?

Excusing Kroenke from taking responsibility and dipping into his considerably deeper pockets instead of a squad whip round for a new player is a galaxy brain take. The guy is a literal billionaire but everyone seems to have a hard on for getting the footballers to invest in their employers ffs.

The players should man up an tell the board to **** off. These clubs treat players they want to sell like ****, the moment you got too old after years of loyalty the club send you packing to some **** club with all that 'club needs to move on' talk. Now they want you to take a paycut after all that 'its a business' nonsense. **** out of here.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
I hope all you lot crying over these poor downtrodden footballers earnings also fully backed Cole, Anelka, Nasri and RVP when they left Arsenal to maximise their income.....it’s a very short career after all. :lol::lol:

I dunno man, people are losing their jobs and having salary reduced left right and centre and frontline staff are dying....I’ll be honest, not feeling a great deal of sympathy at the moment, just my personal opinion.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

All the takeaways in North London probably wished we signed Higuain. I personally feel privileged to have watch Özil, absolutely incredible to watch. Not sure I'd have had the same feeling from watching a fat goal-poaching bottler.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
All the takeaways in North London probably wished we signed Higuain. I personally feel privileged to have watch Özil, absolutely incredible to watch. Not sure I'd have had the same feeling from watching a fat goal-poaching bottler.
You're right though.

We signed one bottler. There was no need to sign two
;)

Reactions: roz

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

He was a great player in his prime & would have still been great I'd say if he was being used the right way & in good combos with the right players. Even I'll admit unfortunately he hasn't been at his best for a few years maybe since Emery came aboard or his major wage rise.

scytheavatar

Established Member
He was a great player in his prime & would have still been great I'd say if he was being used the right way & in good combos with the right players. Even I'll admit unfortunately he hasn't been at his best for a few years maybe since Emery came aboard or his major wage rise.

1, maybe 2 good seasons in 7 seasons...... Özil hasn't been at his best since 2015/16. Blaming Emery for Özil is pathetic, let's not pretend Wenger was able to get the best out of Özil.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

1, maybe 2 good seasons in 7 seasons...... Özil hasn't been at his best since 2015/16. Blaming Emery for Özil is pathetic, let's not pretend Wenger was able to get the best out of Özil.
Lets not forget Emery dropped him numerous times from the match day 18 numerous times, thats going to cause players form drop significantly & their confidence down. He certainly wasn't a consistent player at all over his career here though. Arteta has brought it back up slowly I feel but that's not going to mean anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom