• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

Best season in the history of the club in terms of goal/assist contribution.
Any stat that 'proves' Özil was better for us than Cesc, Cazorla or even Ramsey is not to be trusted.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Doubtful. I don’t know who agreed with who or whether this mass synchronised nod of heads should even mean anything... but in hindsight, nah. Not for me. Hard to compare, and hardly worth doing so either.
You're such a hater it's weird. You now want to retrospectively go back in time just to rag on the guy.

The season I'm talking about was his best goalscoring season for us, I think he even hit double digits in the league.

The thread is archived and my memory is impeccable lol, that was the best Özil we had for Arsenal but the team's decline was shocking.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

@Jury will call this a freak season but would he say the same about Alexis's best season?
Alexis was consistent. he scored 80 goals 45 assists for us in 166 apps. He was the definition of consistent. 16/17 season was by no means a freak season. Özil meanwhile, I could categorize his 15/16 season as freak season because that season, he didn't particularly play better than any other season. But for some reason he just had huge Volume of assists. He did have some nice games that season. Again, it was no different from other season.

There was nothing special about that season watching Özil. His numbers while impressive did distract from the fact that when the team lost Santi and Sanchez to injuries, Özil crumbled under pressure. Even Coquelin was arguably more impressive.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
You're such a hater it's weird. You now want to retrospectively go back in time just to rag on the guy.

The season I'm talking about was his best goalscoring season for us, I think he even hit double digits in the league.

The thread is archived and my memory is impeccable lol, that was the best Özil we had for Arsenal but the team's decline was shocking.
About 85% of the fan base are haters in that case.

I’ve just got a view on how things panned out and I won’t change the exact.. verbatim.. stance that I had since I became a ‘hater’. I’ve remained 100% consistent while the opinions of his fans, supporters or whatever fluctuated.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

He doesn't really contribute to build up play like @Football Manager. He just waits in the final third and when gets the ball he then tries to make the final pass. Compare him to players Iniesta, KDB, Silva and now foden (When he plays in midfield). This hurts us in our transition. We then struggle to move the ball up the pitch. When we had Santi, Ramsey and Wilshere in the team, it wasn't that big a problem but now with Xhaka ( and any other of the midfielders that pairs him) we now struggle massively. The only thing he ever had was the exceptional movement in the final third to receive the ball.

Özil hasn't decline physically or technically.
If you bring a 24 or 25 year old Özil to present time, most top clubs won't touch him. The game has passed such players by. Fernandez or KDB-style AM is now more suited tactically to the modern game.

It's just a myth being peddled by his fans to ram home the narrative that he was ever this great player for us.

Saka will be a better AM for us. While not as talented, he's always eager to join the build up phase and he help us progress play.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Alexis was consistent. he scored 80 goals 45 assists for us in 166 apps. He was the definition of consistent. 16/17 season was by no means a freak season. Özil meanwhile, I could categorize his 15/16 season as freak season because that season, he didn't particularly play better than any other season. But for some reason he just had huge Volume of assists. He did have some nice games that season. Again, it was no different from other season.

There was nothing special about that season watching Özil. His numbers while impressive did distract from the fact that when the team lost Santi and Sanchez to injuries, Özil crumbled under pressure. Even Coquelin was arguably more impressive.
Comparing Özil to Alexis is just ridiculous. Alexis pulled up trees for us every season while he played for us. I would kill to have someone like Alexis back in our team. He was so consistent in his game and attitude. Just the opposite from Özil. No, comparing them doesn't make sense.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
He doesn't really contribute to build up play like @Football Manager. He just waits in the final third and when gets the ball he then tries to make the final pass. Compare him to players Iniesta, KDB, Silva and now foden (When he plays in midfield). This hurts us in our transition. We then struggle to move the ball up the pitch. When we had Santi, Ramsey and Wilshere in the team, it wasn't that big a problem but now with Xhaka ( and any other of the midfielders that pairs him) we now struggle massively. The only thing he ever had was the exceptional movement in the final third to receive the ball.

Özil hasn't decline physically or technically.
If you bring a 24 or 25 year old Özil to present time, most top clubs won't touch him. The game has passed such players by. Fernandez or KDB-style AM is now more suited tactically to the modern game.

It's just a myth being peddled by his fans to ram home the narrative that he was ever this great player for us.

Saka will be a better AM for us. While not as talented, he's always eager to join the build up phase and he help us progress play.
Except Silva, Foden and KDB (until recently) also just “wait” in the final third. They are just as much involved in the build up as Özil is and you would know this if you watched the game instead of regurgitating talking points from bots like football manager.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Except Silva, Foden and KDB (until recently) also just “wait” in the final third. They are just as much involved in the build up as Özil is and you would know this if you watched the game instead of regurgitating talking points from bots like football manager.
Silva, Foden, KDB involves a lot in the build up play. They wait in the final third? Do you even watch football? That’s how they create midfield overload and have so much possession. And that’s how they are able to play beautiful passes, create space and progress the team forward in the build up phase.

Read the first 3 post on this page and you will understand why Özil is always being criticised.

Last edited:

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Silva, Foden, KDB involves a lot in the build up play. They wait in the final third? Do you even watch football? That’s how they create midfield overload and have so much possession. And that’s how they are able to play beautiful passes, create space and progress the team forward in the build up phase.
Yes they wait in the final third and let the CBs and fullbacks do all the build up. That’s their jobs as attacking midfielders. They don’t play deep as a Kroos or a Pogba do

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Özil
13/14: 21 goal contribution in 39 appearances. G/A every 152 mins
14/15: 14 goal contribition in 31 apps. G/A every 188 mins
15/16: 28 goal contribution in 44 apps. G/A. every 137 mins
16/17: 26 goal contribution in 44 apps. G/A every 144 mins
17/18: 19 goal contribution in 35 apps. G/A every 155 mins

Average: G/A every 155 mins.
Best season is +18 minutes more productive than his average.
Worst season: -33 minutes

Those numbers are the model of consistency. His 'freak' season was 2 goals/assists better than the following one and 7 minutes per goal contribution more productive. Wow! What a freak season that is!!

Alexis
14/15 37 goal contribution in 52 games G/A every 116 mins
15/16 28 goal contribution in 41 games G/A every 117 mins
16/17 48 goal contribution in 51 games G/A every 88 mins
17/18 12 goal contribution in 23 games G/A every 142 mins

Average: G/A every 115 mins.
Best season +27 minutes more productive than his average.
Worst season -27 minutes

Summary
I see two consistent attacking players here. One more productive than the other but both similarly consistent. However I have been told that one was consistent his whole time here while the other is an inconsistent mess who only had one good freak season.

Neither of the two had 'freak' seasons but if you had to pick one....well the numbers don't lie do they.

Jury I'm not gonna @ you this time but I used to slap you around in this thread back in the day before @Taylor Gang Gunners came in and finished you and the rest of your cronies. What you and a few others are trying to do is akin to dancing on a mans grave. Don't try to rewrite the past, relax yourself my g.

disclaimer: I'm not including the Emery era because we can agree that wouldn't be fair in this compaison so save it. Same way I'm not going to include the remainder of Alexis's 17/18 season or the rest of his Man United career. Both players experienced heavy drop-offs so lets focus on their best.

Last edited:

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Yes they wait in the final third and let the CBs and fullbacks do all the build up. That’s their jobs as attacking midfielders. They don’t play deep as a Kroos or a Pogba do
Oh god. They do not stay deep but they create a lot of play in the build up phase.

Godwin1

Very well-known
Spot on he doesn't contribute to the build up play, and when given a virtually a free role you expect numbers hence the assists. Meanwhile you have Cesc doing it all from end to end and still getting assists and people have the audacity to compare them.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

You look at his league stats and the 19 assist season it’s just a bit of a freak. Either side of it is pretty much mediocrity.
Agenda cutting off circulation to your brain again, these things happen I suppose.:rofl:

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
What you and a few others are trying to do is akin to dancing on a mans grave.

img-1882418-1-IAMEVILHOMER.gif

@Jury , if he outlives Özil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom