• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Why was Özil so inconsistent even in his madrid/wenger’s days?

Özil was inconsistent for a reason. He is just like walcott. Their overall stats looks impressive, but they are **** if you actually watch their performance on the pitch. This inconsistency is a result of them being limited players.

The problem with them is that they detaches themselves from the build up phase. They just focus on the final assist/finish. Since they are not actively involved in the build up phase, we didn’t have numerical advantage and unable to create in the midfield. Kaka, Silva, kdb, iniesta, modric......they are all heavily involved in the build up phase to help maintain possession and create space in the midfield. Özil would make a simple pass and burst up to the final third, leaving his teammates Cazorla and others to build up.

If our other players are extremely capable/lucky enough to get through the build up phase with numerical disadvantage, then there will be the use of Özil/walcott in the final third (these are matches that they will look good and up their stats). But if not, they will look invisible for the whole match, because we can’t keep possession and unable to progress the ball up, this is why many of you think they are inconsistent.

What actually happened is, their lack of involvement in the build up, would hurt our team from progressing the ball up the pitch. Which limited their chance to shine in the final third. So at the end it’s their own fault for their inconsistency.

Last edited:

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Why the Özil now is the same Özil as 5 years ago, but he is so useless in the current football world?

Because modern tactics has drastically changed, especially in the past 10 years. Despite possessing the same ability, his weaknesses are being magnified more and more as tactics developed over the years. As a result, he is more and more useless as a player, despite having the same padding and first touch ability.

In this tactically detail orientated era, Özil is a huge tactical liability. He can only operates well in one phase of the game (in the final third). And if our team are struggling to get into the final third, he won’t contribute to help our team progressing into this phase. His problem is far from just defending.

These weaknesses of Özil was always there. Even if todays Özil is the same Özil 5 years ago, he will still be out of Arteta’s plan.

Since tactics has started to become more and more complex in the early 2010, there will only be one fate of these kind of players.

(I'm not talking about other #10. Most of them have the dribbling ability and they always helping the team in general play, which makes them still very useful players in todays game. I'm talking about players who focus on just one phase of the game, failing to contribute in other phases.)

Some articles portraits Özil as a victim of traditional #10 in modern football. His fans like to make excuses for him: “It’s the player type that is not suitable anymore in modern football. It’s not Özil to be blamed.”

But this is just not true.

Özil is very different to most #10. Most #10 are not just final third players, they can dribble in tight space for fun, and they involved heavily in the general play. Özil is so unique/limited that he only has himself to blame for not making it in modern football.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Why is that only Özil always being criticised for not defending, when most #10 in the world are not good at defending too?

This is because Özil’s main problem is not even in defending/tracking back. Other #10 would heavily involved in the build up phase, and create the difference in the final third phase. They do hell lots of other stuff when they are not defending. Özil would be invisible in defence and attack, just focus on the last pass in the final third. So if he doesn’t make those pass, he is absolutely nothing on the pitch.

I never rate players who can only operate well in one phase, but being a tactical liability in other phases.

For all of the above (including the last few posts), I am not talking about the “declining” Özil. I am taking about the Özil who he always was. From day one he was here, he has all these flaws in his game.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
:lol:

Quick question: How are you going to find a reason to continue living when your master finally retires (I know he's semi retired already).
Hope you're not suicidal?

Master? That's for slaves like you. It's maestro for me. There will always the steel cage on a concrete patch, where a young immigrant kid takes on the bullies.. and there will always be you trying to sneer.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
Why would Özil make us worse as a team? (both attacking and defending wise) (so our team stats became worse excuse of him)

No one care about his individual stats. He can be invisible for 90 mins helping the team for nothing and then making an assist. That will be counted as a stats.

He is being criticised for not helping the team. You can have someone like Cazorla/Fabregas in the team, even if they score zero goals/make zero assist. They will still be better players because they make their team plays better. They help their team to build up and progress the ball up the pitch.

In attacking, Özil is a tactical liability and hurt the team in the build up phase, which reduced our chances bringing the ball to the final third. In defending, he doesn’t help with pressing, if another midfielder cover his press, we will leave space for the opponent.

Unlike most # 10, he rarely helps the team in general play, that hurts our team stats, as we would create less chances for the forward if we always failed to get the team arriving to the final third because of him not contributing.
This is the reason why many of us criticise Özil for not making our team better.

If our team is not controlling the match, sub-in Özil will not help, as he won’t make our midfield function better. He wouldn’t be the extra man that provide passing options, create spaces, dribble past players that will let our midfield to take more control. Sub-in Cazorla would help, our midfield will link up better, have more possession, create gaps in opponent shape, which will create more chances for the attacking players eventually.

Özil might get better individual stats as he only operates in final third. But what is the point if he is not helping the team to boost the team stats? (his absence in general play lead to our other attackers having less chances, because we couldn’t create in the midfield area)

Because Unai, genius will prevail... When you were fighting for your life, you had to bring him back front and centre... Too bad you let your doozi obsession ruin any chances of things improving

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

just out of interest, does a player have the right to prevent his club revealing an illness, be it physical or mental?
I think so yes, if it falls under non football related injury/illness then the club talking on his condition would be a violation of his privacy.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Özil’s clearly been dropped because of his China comments. It’s obvious.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

If I work in an organization and I was the highest earner and the organization was experiencing a bit of financial crisis and everyone took a voluntary paycut to help the company stay afloat, of course I would take a paycut especially as I'm worth $100m. If I don't, it makes a greedy fücker, yes
Refusing to take a paycut from a corporate when you run a multitude of charitable endeavours doesn’t make you greedy.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Özil’s clearly been dropped because of his China comments. It’s obvious.
Arteta played him though, after those comments. Hasn’t kicked a ball since the pay cut issue during lockdown though.

Think Arteta might have seen that as him not buying into the effort etc, as it was also Arteta who approached the players about the pay cut.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Arteta played him though, after those comments. Hasn’t kicked a ball since the pay cut issue during lockdown though.

Think Arteta might have seen that as him not buying into the effort etc, as it was also Arteta who approached the players about the pay cut.

How are you today?

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

I was trolling.

I think the real answer is (and there are stats that actually support this) our playing style has rendered him inept, he’s not there mentally like he used to but this was actually caused by Emery (and now Arteta’s) playing styles.

Arteta tried to persist with him and realised this but it’s just not working. We’re not dominant enough in possession anymore for Özil to be effective. His linkup play and ball retention is still elite (again backed up by statistics) but he’s nowhere near as dangerous these days due to a lack of dangerous possession.

Amy Lawrence also spoke about this in her article and the athletic article talking about Özil replacements also touched on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom