• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Almost three years, btw. Math much?
That’s not a lot considering Özil seems to have been around forever and was lauded in world football from his youth days. Since then he’s played for Real, won everything with Germany, joined Arsenal and won trophies.

De Bruyne, great baller, not that sort of impact though.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Don’t like this culture of ripping down one player to raise another. Think I’m one of the few here who tends to big up all ballers.

Every footballer in their own way deserves respect. You guys especially in here seem to enjoy ripping one apart to raise another. Makes this forum very undesirable to visit, it’s tiring.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Don’t like this culture of ripping down one player to raise another. Think I’m one of the few here who tends to big up all ballers.
Like you slaughtering Laca and bigging up Giroud all season?

Reactions: A_G

Divided_Pie

Why is it a surprise that the board want him gone? So do many Arsenal fans, including me. The board had been trying to deliver on our demands to get him out.
It's not a surprise at all. I don't have a problem with the club wanting to move him on, there are perfectly rational reasons for that, which I have no problem accepting.

However, I do have a problem with the narrative that Özil is somehow managing the situation poorly. He's handling it just fine. The club, however, has IMO been quite shady in how they've gone about it and it hasn't paid off for them or the fans. I think they've underestimated Özil's conviction.

It was the club who was singled out Özil and had it leaked that he didn't accept the pay cut, even when he wasn't the only player to do so. The club did that. People complaining that Özil doing the interview is a PR stunt forget the fact that the club acted first and acted poorly... Özil has every right to explain his side of the story.

Last edited:

Divided_Pie

Arteta switched formation after the break. Özil doesn’t suit the 3-4-3 he is not good enough defensively. Secondly, there were reports that Özil came back for the restart in poor fitness, further disappointing Arteta.

Arteta switched to the 3-4-3 because he didn't have the defenders and midfielders to function in his preferred style. Özil is one of the few who at the club who can thrive in a possession-oriented attack.

Other than the very temporary back issue, what reports exist that Özil came back from the break unfit? Speculation with no source cited doesn't count. Neither does Arteta making blanket statements about "being in the boat."

Guendouzi was removed from training with the team due to his behavior. Özil was not. One can assume then that there was no legitimate behavioral reason to give Özil the same treatment.

Manberg

Predator
It's not a surprise at all. I don't have a problem with the club wanting to move him on, there are perfectly rational reasons for that, which I have no problem accepting.

However, I do have a problem with the narrative that Özil is somehow managing the situation poorly. He's handling it just fine. The club, however, has IMO been quite shady in how they've gone about it and it hasn't paid off for them or the fans. I think they've underestimated Özil's conviction.

It was the club who was singled out Özil and had it leaked that he didn't accept the pay cut, even when he wasn't the only player to do so. The club did that. People complaining that doing the interview is a PR stunt forget the fact that the club acted first and acted poorly... Özil has every right to explain his side of the story.

Özil’s conviction to stay is to collect his remaining £350k per week wages. I’ve no problem with the club trying to be ruthless to force him out, in fact I fully support it. We are Arsenal fans after all. Özil leaving is what’s best for the team and the club. But I do recognise that the ball is in Özil’s court. However, if Özil isn’t fond of being criticised for his decision to stay and being targeted as he has then it’s his own fault for staying when he could force a move out of the club and it all goes away.

Divided_Pie

Özil’s conviction to stay is to collect his remaining £350k per week wages. I’ve no problem with the club trying to be ruthless to force him out, in fact I fully support it. We are Arsenal fans after all. Özil leaving is what’s best for the team and the club. But I do recognise that the ball is in Özil’s court. However, if Özil isn’t fond of being criticised for his decision to stay and being targeted as he has then it’s his own fault for staying when he could force a move out of the club and it all goes away.

So you don't have a problem with the club being ruthless.

Do you have a problem with Özil defending himself?

If not then I think we can close the discussion.

Manberg

Predator
So you don't have a problem with the club being ruthless.

Do you have a problem with Özil defending himself?

If not then I think we can close the discussion.

It’s a losing battle for him. He’s essentially asking Arsenal fans to become Özil fans. Not going to happen.

If he doesn’t want the criticism his way then he has to force the move. Him staying means he has to accept it and we all just wait out his last year.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
We have all seen it before to give him any benefit of doubt.

He sat out every league game after the Wenger announcement yet played in Europa & then joined German camp. Under Emery there were other long periods he just went missing.

Maybe the reason is different now but these weird breaks nothing new. Its bizarre.

Divided_Pie

It’s a losing battle for him. He’s essentially asking Arsenal fans to become Özil fans. Not going to happen.

If he doesn’t want the criticism his way then he has to force the move. Him staying means he has to accept it and we all just wait out his last year.
He's asking no such thing. Do you think that Özil isn't used to criticism? Have you not followed his career? He isn't fond of false narratives about his character that are driven by the club "ruthlessly" running a smear campaign in a misguided effort to to get out of a financial bind that is nobody's fault but their own.

It's not a losing battle for him, have you not seen the scorecard? Emery gone, Raul gone, Freddie's role diminished to close to nothing. You said it about Özil: the ball is in his court.

As far as Arsenal fans becoming Özil fans, you might not realize that away from A-M and other toxic places on the Internet, he still has millions of fans who are also Arsenal fans. JUST LOOK AT THE POLL RESULTS. Seems that even here the majority of people feel that Arteta would play him if not for the club's "ruthlessness" in their unsuccessful attempt to force him out. And he's collecting $350K a week, has a gorgeous wife, a newborn child, and is living in London. Özil is winning.

Manberg

Predator
He's asking no such thing. Do you think that Özil isn't used to criticism? Have you not followed his career? He isn't fond of false narratives about his character that are driven but the club ruthlessly trying to get out of a financial bind that they created by offering him a contract.

It's not a losing battle for him, have you not seen the scorecard? Emery Gone, Raul gone, Freddie's role diminished to close to nothing. You said it about Özil: the ball is in his court.

As far as asking Arsenal fans becoming Özil fans, you might not realize that away from A-M and other toxic places on the Internet, he still has millions of fans who are also Arsenal fans. JUST LOOK AT THE POLL RESULTS. Seems that even here the majority of people feel that Arteta would play him if not for the club's "ruthlessness" in their unsuccessful attempt to force him out. And he's collecting $350K a week, has a gorgeous wife, a newborn child, and is living in London. Özil is winning.

That whole interview was basically him crying about being forced out. The club wanting to force him out was no secret. Most Arsenal fans I know want the same thing.

He is “winning” at Arsenal’s expense on and off the pitch, we’re not going to be smiling about that now are we?
The club is trying to force him out because he’s not good enough. Him deciding to stay is for his own benefit but the club’s downfall. It seems Özil and his legion of fans are asking all of us to be ok with that and sing his praises because of it :lol: :lol:

Divided_Pie

This whole thread is basically you and other Özil haters whining because Özil won't do what you want him to, acting against his own best interests in the process.

Why the **** should he "do what's good for the club" and make a massive personal sacrifice when the club continues to disrespect him?

You don't have to be happy that he won't leave. But I don't have to stay silent when I feel people attack his character unfairly.

Manberg

Predator
This whole thread is basically you and other Özil haters whining because Özil won't do what you want him to, acting against his own best interests in the process.

Why the **** should he "do what's good for the club" and make a massive personal sacrifice when the club continues to disrespect him?

You don't have to be happy that he won't leave. But I don't have to stay silent when I feel people attack his character unfairly.

Just admit you’re an Özil fan then we can move on. Only an Özil fan can be upset when people “attack his character unfairly”.

Divided_Pie

When did I say I wasn't an Özil fan? I thought that was obvious? Did I ever claim I wasn't? That doesn't automatically discredit my opinion or change the facts I've presented. Nor does it mean I am not an Arsenal fan.

Also, please stop saying things like "Özil and his fans want 'us' to be happy and sing his praises." Nobody is asking anything of the sort.

Feel free to be as displeased as you like about it - it's healthy to express your feelings and I fully support it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom