• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
Blaming Özil for the goal. Lol. Seriously??

Remind me didn't Xhaka rightfully get slated for us conceding and later dropping points after his dummy lead directly to a goal vs Wolves? Why are people trying to not blame Özil here?

Hard to take some "Arsenal supporters" in here serious as they defend a player who's mistake played a major role in us dropping points to one of the worst teams in the league.

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
"wItH tWo WoRlD cLaSs StRiKerS in AuBa & LaCa iNsTeAd oF tHe DoNkEy GiRoUd Özil wiLL bE mAkInG 40 AsSisTs a SeAsOn."

Oh_Snap

And his record in big games brings me to the brink of tears. In 41 games against Sp**s, Liverpool, City, United and Chelsea he has 6 goals and 9 assists. When you break it down individually it's even more shocking. Not sure why everyone needs to make special dispensations for Özil, "oh that's just his personality", "that's he's style of play" etc... You leveraged your position as the "biggest" player at the club to get the wage you have, ****ing show it in the "biggest" games. You can't be paid a big boy salary and then expect to be mollycoddled like an infant.

Still has the highest numbers of all our players in those games so your argument kinda sucks. sorry pal, try again.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I mean it was hit and miss, plenty of times we got shredded on the break.
The misses came mostly after Highbury I think. Its rhe comebacks that stick in my mind. No guts,no glory and all that. Sky mostly show us winning but yeah, it was heart in mouth stuff. No nodding off like I have in recent times :)

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
James might have a great shot over Mesut and maybe is a little more agile in tight spaces or even just more likely to use that agility cause Mesut's not exactly a wooden plank himself, but they're basically the same player. Kind of positionally limited rather old fashioned 10s. James isn't faster, he's not really a 1vs1 dribbler, his game can also be quite stationary and neither at Real nor at Bayern does he show "mentality" or leads the team.

Interestingly, Bayern fans that don't like him (it's about 50/50 tied in their fanbase) haul the exact same criticism at James that Özil gets from Arsenal fans. Not suited to modern systems as a rather clear cut 10, not mobile enough, not decisive enough, wasted as a winger. His status and position limits don't allow them to play a 3 man midfield regularly where they have talent like Thiago, Tolisso, Sanches, Goretzka; and even in the centre some would rather play Muller than him, as - even in his worst form - Muller has great chemistry with Lewandowski and albeit he doesn't do much more, he creates space for the CF.

So actually looking at their profiles, style and the criticism they get at their clubs and realizing it's all eerily similar, I don't think getting James makes the utmost sense - even just in theory. Both are even Real outcasts.
Ok then I retract my statement :lol::lol:. I dont watch Bundesliga its just that whatever iv seen from him he has looked electric. I dont want anyone at all simialr to Özil after he leaves. I want an effervescent number 10 who is always at the centre of our attacks

Jae

Think he'll be gone in the summer in all honesty (hopefully). He's class but he hasn't quite cut the mustard for us. Plus the way we set up now he doesn't actually fit into our team anymore.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

When Emery was first announced as manager I was thinking about the role of the number 10 in his teams system thinking to his Sevilla side and I had my doubts whether Özil was suited to the role because it is essentially an "8.5" rather than a number if you say how Banega played there. I honestly question if Özil is the ideal player for it. He's more of a guy who floats around looking for pockets of space in the final third to cause damage, whereas Banega was a guy who helped in terms of controlling games and wasn't at all a traditional number 10.

I'm now wondering if Emery thinks the same and just doesn't fancy Özil at all, certainly not as someone who he's going to build his team around.

HBL

Established Member
When Emery was first announced as manager I was thinking about the role of the number 10 in his teams system thinking to his Sevilla side and I had my doubts whether Özil was suited to the role because it is essentially an "8.5" rather than a number if you say how Banega played there. I honestly question if Özil is the ideal player for it. He's more of a guy who floats around looking for pockets of space in the final third to cause damage, whereas Banega was a guy who helped in terms of controlling games and wasn't at all a traditional number 10.

I'm now wondering if Emery thinks the same and just doesn't fancy Özil at all, certainly not as someone who he's going to build his team around.
Hmm he did try Ramsey before Özil as well and also disliked Ramsey there. Özil hasn't actually played much as number 10 this season so I guess we'll see how it plays out, I'm not writing him off yet but he certainly has to do more than he has so far under Emery.

On a side note, his German counterpart Gundogan is probably one of the most underrated players in the league. I love watching him play, almost every pass is perfectly weighted and his spatial awareness is ridiculous. Should be at a club where he starts every week.

TopCorner

Cazorla was better for us than Özil has been. I would still be starting him over Mkhi and Iwobi however. I think Emery is wanting Özil to become a player he simply cant be but the same can be said for a few in our lineup.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I also agree that Carzorla has been more impactful on the pitch for us than Özil. Haven’t checked the stats, could be preference on my part.

I feel like Özil is done out here and I am defo not mad. Good riddance.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

And his record in big games brings me to the brink of tears. In 41 games against Sp**s, Liverpool, City, United and Chelsea he has 6 goals and 9 assists. When you break it down individually it's even more shocking. Not sure why everyone needs to make special dispensations for Özil, "oh that's just his personality", "that's he's style of play" etc... You leveraged your position as the "biggest" player at the club to get the wage you have, ****ing show it in the "biggest" games. You can't be paid a big boy salary and then expect to be mollycoddled like an infant.
.you're making an observation about his performances in the big games, you should also mention that we haven't troubled the big sides since a long time

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I love how we're not even dressing it up as a made up injury, clearly Emery wants the "tactical reasons" part out there.

What can you say though? He's had one good performance all season and he's probably not adapting to what Emery wants from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom