• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malky

Established Member
Emery overcompensating after PSG. Even if he doesn't rate Özil and wants to get rid, his handling of the situation has been shockingly poor.
He's also shown his hand in this situation. Other clubs will now low-ball us in January, unless we get lucky and there's a bidding war, we're losing Özil for a reduced fee.
That along with losing Ramsey on a free is incredibly poor business for a club that's self sufficient.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
From the few games I've got to watch in full this season, I can see why Özil has fallen down the pecking order a bit. A lot of us predicted this when Emery was announced. Our forwards push a really strong press and Özil doesn't have the work ethic or strength to do it effectively. Ramsey and Lacazette are excellent at it and have created goals from turnovers. Equally watching these guys not only press but continue to bust a gut to cover position as well has been an impressive change and beneficial for the team.

I'll admit that it's weird to see Özil not even play a cup game, but my guess is that an argument has broken between him and Emery having not been played as much, and now he's even further down the pecking order/could be sold. Emery clearly likes to rotate even his best players but Özil may not like that transition having been Wenger's golden child.

blaze_of_glory

From the few games I've got to watch in full this season, I can see why Özil has fallen down the pecking order a bit. A lot of us predicted this when Emery was announced. Our forwards push a really strong press and Özil doesn't have the work ethic or strength to do it effectively. Ramsey and Lacazette are excellent at it and have created goals from turnovers. Equally watching these guys not only press but continue to bust a gut to cover position as well has been an impressive change and beneficial for the team.
Özil has pressed well when he's played though, and those two players are frequently dropped as well. So I'm not sure that explains it all.

Özil playing or not on the weekend will be very telling in regards to all of this. No way do we need any special tactics to deal with Burnley at home.

African Flair

Yeah maybe it's time to sell, do love Özil but if it's not gonna work well... A winter transfer might be a tough one although he's not cup tied for a CL team looking for a splash.

Continue the rebuild, of load Özil & Mhiki along with Ramsey and Welbeck might not bring a lot of cash to the chest but free up a boat ton on the wage bill.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
Özil has pressed well when he's played though, and those two players are frequently dropped as well. So I'm not sure that explains it all.

Özil playing or not on the weekend will be very telling in regards to all of this. No way do we need any special tactics to deal with Burnley at home.
Like I said all of our top players have been rotated, particularly attackers. That's not necessarily the issue but maybe Özil's response to this new change is. Mesut has also made less PL appearances than Ramsey, Auba and Laca despite all being rotated, so there's something there.

His pressing may have improved but it's still not on the same level. He lacks the power and upper body strength to be a genuine threat at dispossessing players. People note his improvements and distance covered/game but he's still an average player without the ball at best, and a liability at worst imo. That might have become more of an issue in Emery's high tempo tactics.

Agreed that Burnley is crunch time, maybe he'll play and this will blow over. If he doesn't then I don't expect him here much longer.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Makes sense and in any other case that's definitely how it should be but Özil isn't just any other player. That's 350k per week you're alienating from the squad. Sanllehi and Mislintat simply can't just stand back and ignore the financial ramifications of that. I really don't know how they'll sort this out.

Not to mention his following on social media is equivalent to Arsenal's . There's ramifications if he leaves . This baffles me , because Özil isn't really all that hard to manage.

Think @Rimaal and other have a point about it being a bit personal . He's willing to run Mkhi and Iwobi into the ground instead of playing Özil in a mickey mouse cup game.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
WeveW been on an unbeaten run without Özil, some of our toughest matches were without him where we got a result.

The last two losses have been due to just bad timing, losing 3/4 of our back line and having a make shift defense. I don't think we would've lost either game with mustafi, sokratis and holding at the back.

I'm abolsutely in 100% support with whatever Emery decides to do with Özil. Pep sold ronaldinho because his game and attitude didn't fit in to his philosphy. Fergie got rid of Keane and van nisterooy. Wenger sold Merson and platt.

We have to support the manager on this, either Özil steps up or goes. Özil in terms of talent makes our top then ever players however performances on the pitch he doesn't make our top 50.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Özil has become Arsenal's Neymar for Emery, but I think he's underestimating the fan base Özil has worldwide
I don't think the fans were too up in arms during the unbeaten period. But now I'm seeing them on social media slowly starting turn on Emery for this because of the last 2 results. Constantly starting Iwobi and Mkhitaryan isn't helping his cause either. If he wants the fans on his side, he will need to get this team back to winning ways ASAP.

MikeVinna

Established Member
Emery is pissing me off with his horrible team selection and his handling of Özil. You ****ing cant expect me to believe he thinks Mesut doesnt even deserve to be on the bench. Its ridiculous. And playing Iwobi/Mkhitaryan over him smells an awful lot like he’s just playing the work horses right now and I’m not liking that one bit. You need some kind of creative spark. Mkhitaryan and Iwobi are out there ****ing up all kinds of opportunities but are out there because? They can run a lot? Obviously not working out is it, losing 2 games in a row with Özil out of the team and Xhaka in our defensive line.

scytheavatar

Established Member
He's also shown his hand in this situation. Other clubs will now low-ball us in January, unless we get lucky and there's a bidding war, we're losing Özil for a reduced fee.
That along with losing Ramsey on a free is incredibly poor business for a club that's self sufficient.

Which club will want Özil in the first place? We should count ourselves lucky to be able to get someone to lowball us for Özil. Our best chances of moving Özil on would probably be something like a loan deal with option to buy, from a club like Milan.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I can't think of a single club that could fit Özil into their set up and be willing to pay those wages.

blaze_of_glory

WeveW been on an unbeaten run without Özil, some of our toughest matches were without him where we got a result.

The last two losses have been due to just bad timing, losing 3/4 of our back line and having a make shift defense. I don't think we would've lost either game with mustafi, sokratis and holding at the back.

I'm abolsutely in 100% support with whatever Emery decides to do with Özil. Pep sold ronaldinho because his game and attitude didn't fit in to his philosphy. Fergie got rid of Keane and van nisterooy. Wenger sold Merson and platt.

We have to support the manager on this, either Özil steps up or goes. Özil in terms of talent makes our top then ever players however performances on the pitch he doesn't make our top 50.
He was playing for the bulk of it though. Other than the Sp**s game we looked worse once he wasn't involved. He was a huge part of the game vs Liverpool and we really missed him vs Utd I thought. He wasn't playing badly before his injury at all, he was scoring goals and having a big influence.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
He was playing for the bulk of it though. Other than the Sp**s game we looked worse once he wasn't involved. He was a huge part of the game vs Liverpool and we really missed him vs Utd I thought. He wasn't playing badly before his injury at all, he was scoring goals and having a big influence.
People have short memories. Özil hasn't been great this season but he was wracking up the stats nicely and then suddenly it just went to poopoo

scytheavatar

Established Member
That's still terrible business. Would rather he sit on our bench then because we're not really freeing up the money for adequate replacements.

Problem is Özil might not even be sitting on our bench at the current rate....... according to Emery Iwobi and Miki ARE adequate replacements to Özil. If you are not happy about it then the only option for us is to sack Emery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom