• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
Key difference is we are seeing improvements under Arteta. There's a base now - we are compact and harder to create chances against. And that's with dogshit players.

Under Emery, there was nothing of any sort.
See that is you judging arteta. Ofc you can judge him.

Absolute nonsense that you can't judge him unless he gets 11 new players into the club lol.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

"Results-wise" I mean. Get players in that suit his vision, then judge. This season has been in the bin since September.

Don't underestimate how crap our team is.
But Emery didn't get his players. Surely we can't judge him either then?

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

He had a full pre-season, and an entire season before that. Arteta has walked into a diarrhoea mess of a situation.
You argued the players though. Not pre-season. You can't add arguments after, thats not what we discussed.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
You argued the players though. Not pre-season. You can't add arguments after, thats not what we discussed.
The players aren't good enough, but we are seeing what could be once we get better ones.

Under Emery, we didn't see any positives by way of a plan or style on the pitch. Simple really.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
It's cos I've seen it all before, being an Arsenal fan seems like people just telling you it's gonna be good one day. How long should I be patient for?

I wanted to give Emery a chance but I feel like he faced the same problems Arsène did and Arteta will. Until we start signing players in positions we actually need, some cohesion to our transfers, maybe buy some players that make us better? Bellerin has been our only RB for years and he hasn't played in over a year with no replacement or anything.

It's just hopeless I can't handle it anymore, how did we spend so much in the summer just to get worse? We did the same thing in the Xhaka/Mustafi window.
Top post.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Think Arteta has 5 players who should be sticking around in the starting 11.

Leno
Tierney
Torreira (with caveats)
Pepe
Auba (assuming he stays)

Theres a distinct lack of spine there. We have a lot we need to improve on. The way we plan on developing our spine is with Saliba and Upamecano. Both young and inexperienced so next season would be full of issues.

Then there's CM. A gaping hole in quality. Torreira with the game in front of him at the base I rate. We need to buy a long term CM solution.

Of course then Arteta needs to decide what to do with midfield. Replace Özil or move to 3 CMs.

Theres a lot of smart transfers and proper planning that needs to happen

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

The players aren't good enough, but we are seeing what could be once we get better ones.

Under Emery, we didn't see any positives by way of a plan or style on the pitch. Simple really.
Yeah I agree. But you said you can't judge him with these players. And i say you can. And it seems you can too. So we agree we can judge a manager even if he has these players?

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I'm looking at Leicester's lineup right now and I'm genuinely thinking they have a better team than us. Better starting 11 and better bench. It's not better by much but it's a lot more balanced. We need to accept that we've regressed in order to move forward. We've been on a cycle of taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back. Sometimes you need to take 1 step back to take 2 steps forward.

Take away this "balanced" term and judge it as it is.

Player for player they are better. It's not balance or tactics or fitness. It's just quality.

Perreria is a great right back who can tackle and both defend and attack.

Soyuncu is looking relatively solid alongside an experience pro in Evans who fans didnt want here because he played at West Brom.

Ndidi is exactly what we need. Not because he is more mobile than Xhaka but because he is physical, quicker, agile, can tackle the list goes on.

Maddison offers creativity every single match and even when he isnt playing that well he isnt afraid to tackle and put himself about.

Vardy presses from the front never gives defences a minute. He seems quicker than Auba and can actually take a player on and beat him for pace if there abit of space in behind. Auba cant seem to do that.

Other than Leno (which is debatable) and Auba who gets in the team? Probably nobody else. Pepe if he sorted himself out may come in for Perez but at the minute nope.

Leciester identified players who show they had talent to play in the premier league. They came in and hit the ground running. They also signed players with premier league experience or English football experience. Which I think is something we have been missing.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Yeah I agree. But you said you can't judge him with these players. And i say you can. And it seems you can too. So we agree we can judge a manager even if he has these players?

You can always judge a manager even with the same player. It's not like these players are league one level. They probably are realsictally 6/7th in the league level bar a couple.

Arteta has to improve players.

I harped on yesterday about it but look at Mourinho. Same players as Poch took to the final of the champions league and Mourinho hasnt really improved them.

Pearson walked into watford who are by all respects brutal. Maybe better than their current position but a poor team. And instantly he has them all playing better.

So this idea that Arteta should have a free hit this 5 months is wrong. Players are coachable. And that needs to be shown soon.

Vantastico

Let's just do ONE thing and not turn our backs on him of all people at the club. Do not care if we finish 9th 3 times in a row. Don't sack the f*cking manager who sets the tone of the dressing room culture, like he said in the media he would try to. He is inexperienced in this field of work and he will probably make his share of mistakes, just like young people often do in life. But I believe in his abilities and his overall intelligence, and I just love to watch a former player like him managing a club of Arsenal Football Club's magnitude. Makes me feel proud to watch him learning the ropes, hoping and quietly praying he will succeed.

Anyhow, results are just part of the manager's responsibilities, but they are also heavily influenced by several other deciding factors, including players not giving a ****. If he doesn't back someone after spending resources on them, sell them. Don't give a sh*t about the business side of things, even if it meant losing 30m on Pepe (just using him as an example, I do actually believe that Pepe will turn out great).

In a case like that, you maybe fire someone else, like the scout or whomever backed him the heaviest. And you have someone tell Pepe (again, just using his name as a hypothetical example in this scenario) in no uncertain terms that his motivation is being questioned by the manager and if he doesn't prove himself he will find himself riding the coattails of the bench and fighting for his chance at one last pay-check for some scrub team, because he ain't getting it at Arsenal.

We royally screwed things up with Mesut Özil too. H*ly ****. We still have that going on actually. You kind of have to discount all of the seasons in which he is at the club because he is of complete zero value as a footballer yet he's still eating away £17.5m of our budget. Freaking black hole (not a Fortnite reference, Mezzy).

Anways just my two cents. If it comes to firing Arteta too soon for my liking, I might ditch supporting Arsenal for a while until I fall back in love with the club again. Probably won't be missed by many of you lot here. :lol: But still hoping it doesn't have to come that far, too soon.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Let's just do ONE thing and not turn our backs on him of all people at the club. Do not care if we finish 9th 3 times in a row. Don't sack the f*cking manager who sets the tone of the dressing room culture, like he said in the media he would try to. He is inexperienced in this field of work and he will probably make his share of mistakes, just like young people often do in life. But I believe in his abilities and his overall intelligence, and I just love to watch a former player like him managing a club of Arsenal Football Club's magnitude. Makes me feel proud to watch him learning the ropes, hoping and quietly praying he will succeed.

Anyhow, results are just part of the manager's responsibilities, but they are also heavily influenced by several other deciding factors, including players not giving a ****. If he doesn't back someone after spending resources on them, sell them. Don't give a sh*t about the business side of things, even if it meant losing 30m on Pepe (just using him as an example, I do actually believe that Pepe will turn out great).

In a case like that, you maybe fire someone else, like the scout or whomever backed him the heaviest. And you have someone tell Pepe (again, just using his name as a hypothetical example in this scenario) in no uncertain terms that his motivation is being questioned by the manager and if he doesn't prove himself he will find himself riding the coattails of the bench and fighting for his chance at one last pay-check for some scrub team, because he ain't getting it at Arsenal.

We royally screwed things up with Mesut Özil too. H*ly ****. We still have that going on actually. You kind of have to discount all of the seasons in which he is at the club because he is of complete zero value as a footballer yet he's still eating away £17.5m of our budget. Freaking black hole (not a Fortnite reference, Mezzy).

Anways just my two cents. If it comes to firing Arteta too soon for my liking, I might ditch supporting Arsenal for a while until I fall back in love with the club again. Probably won't be missed by many of you lot here. :lol: But still hoping it doesn't have to come that far, too soon.

Unfortunately that attitude doesnt work anymore in football of just well your not doing what I ask we are putting you up for sale.

Players have all the power these days and footballers earn so much money than in basically 1 year they are set up for life.

So if you dont fit the managers needs you will find another club who will take you. You may earn less money but it will be huge amounts regardless.

And also if that situation arises that it's clear the club/manager dont want a player teams come in and low ball prices and you end up with significant loses. Something that cant happen when not in the champions league.

You only have to look at Ospina. What did he go for? About 5m. Liverpool got close to 10m for Mingolet who's half the keeper of Ospina.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Watching the post match of Liverpool United they were talking about transfers for Man Utd but it's equally applicable to us:

We're buying players (at a premium because we're Arsenal and the PL) in the hope of them being instant hits. We aren't like Liverpool who have the luxury of getting a Keita or Fabinho and easing them in slowly.

Say we buy Upamecano - it'll be a £50m transfer and he needs to work straight away. Same for any CM we buy. Same for the striker well need to get to replace Aubameyang. But it's asking a lot for non-PL players to just adapt.

My expectations are for 2-3 years before we have anything properly functional. And that's if we plan and do things right. That's not let Arteta off the hook. Just mean from a personnel point of view

TornadoTed

Established Member
I've said before that last summer could go be looked back on as one of our most successful ever windows in a few years time, we could easily get 5-10 years great service from Tierney, Saliba, Pepe and Martinelli.

Unfortunately none of the them were really ready to improve us consistently now through various factors, age, injury, loaning back and adapting to the Premiership.

In hindsight buying four players for the future and only one 'proven' in Luiz probably wasn't quite the right balance. Hopefully this summer we go closer to 50-50, keeping buying the players with potentially high ceilings but also improve the squad with 2-3 players who can walk straight into the team, play 30-40 games and improve us.

Last edited:

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Emery was worth a gamble in 2018, but I wonder how different life would be if Arteta got the job immediately after Arsène left?

Or even if we let go of Emery after the Europa Final disaster, and Arteta had this full season.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
You can always judge a manager even with the same player. It's not like these players are league one level. They probably are realsictally 6/7th in the league level bar a couple.

Arteta has to improve players.

I harped on yesterday about it but look at Mourinho. Same players as Poch took to the final of the champions league and Mourinho hasnt really improved them.

Pearson walked into watford who are by all respects brutal. Maybe better than their current position but a poor team. And instantly he has them all playing better.

So this idea that Arteta should have a free hit this 5 months is wrong. Players are coachable. And that needs to be shown soon.

This guy is an amazing poster, finally someone who sees Arsenal for what it is instead of over-hyping Arteta and all our poor players.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Emery was worth a gamble in 2018, but I wonder how different life would be if Arteta got the job immediately after Arsène left?

Or even if we let go of Emery after the Europa Final disaster, and Arteta had this full season.

Arteta has literally proven nothing why are people going on like he's some prodigy already? What difference would he have made? We finished out of the top 4 and crashed out of Europa with both Arsène and Emery so Arteta would probably perform the same if not worse.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
With Arteta's comments about last 10-15 minutes drop in energy levels, you would think he would address this with earlier substitutions. It was a reminder of Arsène reluctance to use subs at appropriate time or only after 70-th minute.

Willock should have been brought on, as he has good levels of stamina and can run with the ball.

goonergaz

We're hating on Arteta already?

We should hang our heads in shame...VAR robbed us at the weekend, it was a stonewall penalty to make to 2-0 in a game we had largely dominated. He's hardly had any time at all and some key players are out...give him some time.

I've said before that last summer could go be looked back on as one of our most successful ever windows in a few years time, we could easily get 5-10 years great service from Tierney, Saliba, Pepe and Martinelli.

Unfortunately none of the them were really ready to improve us consistently now through various factors, age, injury, loaning back and adapting to the Premiership.

In hindsight buying four players for the future and only one 'proven' in Luiz probably wasn't quite the right balance. Hopefully this summer we go closer to 50-50, keeping buying the players with potentially high ceilings but also improve the squad with 2-3 players who can walk straight into the team, play 30-40 games and improve us.

Great post.

People need to realise this is not going to happen within weeks.

Top Bottom