• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

goonergaz

With Arteta's comments about last 10-15 minutes drop in energy levels, you would think he would address this with earlier substitutions. It was a reminder of Arsène reluctance to use subs at appropriate time or only after 70-th minute.

Willock should have been brought on, as he has good levels of stamina and can run with the ball.

Retrospect is great isn't it.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Nobody is hating on Arteta. Some of us are just not being deceived by what some call drastic improvement when in fact theres not a lot to show that things have improved that much.

The games we have played have been winnable and we have led in them however bad mistakes have cost us. People can blame var or refs and that is an influence but this team is good enough to win at home to likes of Sheffield. Away is different.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Surprised at how quickly we’ve seen an improvement in defence, thought it was going to be the other way.

Fine margins between winning and drawing. Chelsea, Palace and Sheffield could easily have been wins if not for the lack of VAR being applied correctly or deflections.

You can say that we shouldn’t need these to win games but the fact is that we’re a low confidence side trying to rebuild. You need these things to go in your favour.

Imagine how much confidence could be in the side right now if Jorginho gets sent off at 1-0 and we go on to win.

Or if Pepe gets the penalty call and we win 2-0.

Last edited:

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
I have a lot of patience for Arteta.

The points we've been dropping now, I know I used to be furious when Emery often dropped points from winning positions.
But with Arteta, there is a visible improvement in our tactical planning. He has a lot of things to improve and get rid of the rut that has set itself deep during the disastrous Emery era.
Starting with improving the physical preparedness of our team, as they're gassed out so quick in second half.

goonergaz

Nobody is hating on Arteta. Some of us are just not being deceived by what some call drastic improvement when in fact theres not a lot to show that things have improved that much.

The games we have played have been winnable and we have led in them however bad mistakes have cost us. People can blame var or refs and that is an influence but this team is good enough to win at home to likes of Sheffield. Away is different.

Whilst I don't disagree, please check Sheffield United league position, they are not there by accident.

I totally agree we should have been winning by more before then, but again, please remember this is Emerys team, with injuries and just ~a month in.

goonergaz

Surprised at how quickly we’ve seen an improvement in defence, thought it was going to be the other way.

Fine margins between winning and drawing. Chelsea, Palace and Sheffield could easily have been wins if not for the lack of VAR being applied correctly or deflections.

You can say that we shouldn’t need these to win games but the fact is that we’re a low confidence side trying to rebuild. You need these things to go in your favour.

Imagine how much confidence could be in the side right now if Jorginho gets sent off at 1-0 and we go on to win.

Or if Pepe gets the penalty call and we win 2-0.
This is what I mean. We're so close and have (frankly) been robbed and unlucky.

I have a lot of patience for Arteta.

The points we've been dropping now, I know I used to be furious when Emery often dropped points from winning positions.
But with Arteta, there is a visible improvement in our tactical planning. He has a lot of things to improve and get rid of the rut that has set itself deep during the disastrous Emery era.
Starting with improving the physical preparedness of our team, as they're gassed out so quick in second half.
Again, this is what I'm saying - you can see the improvements to fitness but it takes time...does anyone remember Klopps first season at Liverpool? I'm not saying he's the next Klopp, just that we need to understand, this season is a write-off and next season we can start to form a better idea.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Whilst I don't disagree, please check Sheffield United league position, they are not there by accident.

I totally agree we should have been winning by more before then, but again, please remember this is Emerys team, with injuries and just ~a month in.

What about Watford, Everton, Newcastle even West Ham under Moyes they have all seen a noticeable and very obvious improvement in results. However we are still drawing games that we should be winning.

And as every week passes the opportunity to finish higher in the league passes. When are we as a club gonna grab a few games by the balls and win while the others around us drop points?

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
So this idea that Arteta should have a free hit this 5 months is wrong. Players are coachable. And that needs to be shown soon.

yeah free passes just doesn’t make sense, Arteta should be judged on what he can do this season too..

goonergaz

What about Watford, Everton, Newcastle even West Ham under Moyes they have all seen a noticeable and very obvious improvement in results. However we are still drawing games that we should be winning.

And as every week passes the opportunity to finish higher in the league passes. When are we as a club gonna grab a few games by the balls and win while the others around us drop points?

Ok, so it's Artetas fault that VAR is screwing us over? Have you seen Mike Deans stats? Someone mentioned 5 pens in 20 years!

Personally I've seen an improvement in the team, results - well as I said, without VAR we'd be doing better...and we did beat Manure in a must win match and (FWIW) Emery's last 7 games saw no wins and we've already seen 2 in less...

Vantastico

Because Arteta still has to learn the ropes of being a top-level manager, but he seems to possess the right profile of someone who can lead us back to the top whilst providing attractive, attacking-based football for the fans, judging by the praise he received for his contributions as an assistent at Man City's (from Pep Guardiola and some of their players alike).

Obviously, being a head-coach is a completely different animal than being an assistant, and he has to be held accountable to some degree. But then again, I don't actually expect us to finish 9th place three times in a row, so that part of what I wrote was a bit of hyperbole on my behalf, and to be taken with a grain of salt.

There are just a lot of things to be optimistic about with Mikel. But, and I might sound quite like a pessimist for saying this: I in fact am genuinely expecting a few rough-patch seasons ahead for us, looking at the current state of our squad; varying from deadwood players and talented youngsters to some solid contributors and overpaid stars. So naturally it will take a while for us to become a top-4 challenging side again. And I hope our fans are ready to accept us underperforming relative to historic expectations, and let's not put all of the blame on the manager if things do go south, or not excellent soon enough to our liking. Because in my view, the most important thing we need right now as a club is stability and a strong dressing room culture, and keeping our manager on board is an integral part of that vision.

All of this goes for a pretty short-term window however, of around 3 seasons. After that it's free hunting season because by then he would have been given proper time to mold the squad to his wishes.

Lastly, Arteta has witnessed up close the mentality it takes to be a top club in recent times. He also carries some of Arsène's gentlemanly DNA with him, which is the type of personality I want our gaffer to possess.

So, to summarize, I rate Arteta very highly and I want him to become a legendary manager for us. But I don't want to set unrealistic measures of success for him in the short run. His profile convinced the board (and myself) that he was the right man to lead the ship sailing to success for us. So, lets back the man and trust the process for a while, and let us as not get impatient and hostile as fans because we probably won't be the second coming of Man City by the year 2023.

jgirolami

Ok, so it's Artetas fault that VAR is screwing us over? Have you seen Mike Deans stats? Someone mentioned 5 pens in 20 years!

Personally I've seen an improvement in the team, results - well as I said, without VAR we'd be doing better...and we did beat Manure in a must win match and (FWIW) Emery's last 7 games saw no wins and we've already seen 2 in less...
Remember we only had something like a 5% win rate with him as a ref between 06/14. Bearing in mind we usually finished each season with a 60% win rate. Very strange all that. But realistically all these blinking refs have it in for us. Only way to nullify this impartiality is to out blast other teams to avoid the ineptitude of refs/var.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Those stats are damming. 72 games is a statistically relevant sample. He clearly is biased against us. Not that one needed to know those stats to draw that conclusion. God I cannot stand him as a referee.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Remember we only had something like a 5% win rate with him as a ref between 06/14. Bearing in mind we usually finished each season with a 60% win rate. Very strange all that. But realistically all these blinking refs have it in for us. Only way to nullify this impartiality is to out blast other teams to avoid the ineptitude of refs/var.
He will try his best to not make us win. Honestly think he is actively and consciously trying to make us lose if he can. Pepe penalty not given is a clear example. If that had been us doing this in our penalty box he would have given it no question whatsoever.

Top Bottom