• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Agreed, such a shame this mistake came in such a big game but we know this defence has them in them.
This is worrying. In the run of games we might not have lost but it was clear for all to see that teams started targeting Kolasinac both on and off the ball. Under no pressure he gives sloppy passes and under pressure he’s an even bigger liability.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Does not mean Kolasinac has been good. Holding is better defensively than Kola, which isn't saying much, but still. Kola is only decent as a LWB.
Don't see why, now that Holding is fit we couldn't have gave him a run of games till the end of the season. If he makes mistakes or plays poorly can ship him out in the summer but at least give him a chance. How many chances do Mustafi and Kolasinac need to know these guys aren't the answer?

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
Also, something to consider.

Pep has lost 3 games out of 4 to Ole's United. Losing to one style because his style requires top defenders as well, which he doesn't have this season. Klopp got whacked 4-0 for attempting his style against City away. But top teams stick to their style nowadays, Mourinho type styles just don't work in the modern game. Look at Simeone, he overperforms with Athletico, but he can't win the league, because his sides are too defensive. We need top defenders, or we can't play an expansive style. Either we play like midtable teams or we attempt an expansive style and suffer defeats like this till we add top defenders.

I'd rather see us attack and lose than what Emery attempted. But unless we get top defenders, it doesn't matter who the manager is.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

After the Liverpool and City games I’d like to see him revert to 4 at the back. I’m worried he’ll continue this formation next season instead of keeping to his original ideas (which I doubt were 343).

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
After the Liverpool and City games I’d like to see him revert to 4 at the back. I’m worried he’ll continue this formation next season instead of keeping to his original ideas (which I doubt were 343).

My worry is he's been told how much there is to spend and realised this formation is the most pragmatic with what he'll have next season

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
Which two defenders at the back would you trust through the middle? Arteta is resorting to a back 3 primarily because there are no two players good enough, nor is Bellerin good enough as a RB for a back four.

Manberg

Predator
Which is why so many of us are dissatisfied. We know we can do better but we have the tendency to drop points for silly silly reasons. We are better than Olympiakos and they knocked us out of Europa. We are better than Brighton but they done the double over us. It’s not an overreaction, it’s been a theme throughout our season.

Every team drops points for silly reasons. Liverpool lost 3-0 to Watford.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

This is worrying. In the run of games we might not have lost but it was clear for all to see that teams started targeting Kolasinac both on and off the ball. Under no pressure he gives sloppy passes and under pressure he’s an even bigger liability.

Don't know who else could play there, Holding is rubbish on the ball as well.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
Holdi
Does not mean Kolasinac has been good. Holding is better defensively than Kola, which isn't saying much, but still. Kola is only decent as a LWB.
Holding one decent game against Southampton and people start to make him out to be the solution. He has generally looked awful whenever given the chance, slow, hesitant and poor on the ball.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Yeah this is a real worry.. I was hoping it was just standard press talk, but extending these guys is a ****ing joke.

Mustafi he was ambiguous about. Luiz? He took half his wages and is our only defender who can kick the ball straight with both feet. and is still better than most of our other defenders. Plus he's a vocal supporter of Arteta which is important for a new coach in a squad where there is likely to be turnover in the next year. Otherwise you end up being Emery where those who have your back are the minority.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
Mustafi he was ambiguous about. Luiz? He took half his wages and is our only defender who can kick the ball straight with both feet. and is still better than most of our other defenders. Plus he's a vocal supporter of Arteta which is important for a new coach in a squad where there is likely to be turnover in the next year. Otherwise you end up being Emery where those who have your back are the minority.
Too bad he can't do the part where you defend

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Go and rewatch the highlights of this game, particularly the second half when they deliberately sat off us.

Our ability to move the ball efficiently in the middle and final third is taking shape. Xhaka, Ceballos, Tierney and Lacazette from deep today gave us an ability to pull their players out of position numerous times. Doing that to two tightly sitting banks of four is something to take encouragement from.

What's more important here is that we bring in the players to continue the work Arteta is doing. We cannot have players like Kolasinac, Mustafi and even Luiz (if possible) as consistent starting players for us next year.

Yup it was classic Mourinho. Push for the first 20 mins, suck the oxygen out of the game for the whole middle and push for the last 20. Arteta could have been quicker with his subs, and maybe should have changed shape to challenge Sp**s 2nd half lock down of the the flanks, but Willock is the only one who cold have threatened the centre.

Sp**s were v clever defensively, and sadly our defence did its usual thing. If we can have enough competent centrebacks to play a back 4 (Luiz would be fine - not great, but fine - with the right partner if we play a proper DM in front), we could go back to 3 in midfield and get more support progressing the ball.

As you say, the problem is the squad Arteta has inherited is one where the senior players are either not good enough or all play well in different systems with different tactics to each other. The final 2 years of Wenger / Gazidis were a recruitment **** show, and even under Sven, we bought good players, but not good players that would play well with each other. Likewise Pepe - a player who excelled in a system we don't play.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
But unless we get top defenders, it doesn't matter who the manager is.
This is a myth that people here like to believe. We all know that even if we bring the best defenders in the world, in 3 months they'll become circus clowns.

It's the Arsenal way of defending that makes them lose all their knowledge. You've seen it time and time again and it doesn't happen only with defenders.

Rarely do you see players who keep their instincts here over time, like Sanchez or Auba.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
This is a myth that people here like to believe. We all know that even if we bring the best defenders in the world, in 3 months they'll become circus clowns.

It's the Arsenal way of defending that makes them lose all their knowledge. You've seen it time and time again and it doesn't happen only with defenders.

Rarely do you see players who keep their instincts here over time, like Sanchez or Auba.
Which top defenders have we done this to?

lomekian

Essays are my thing
This is the main concern right now

Its not rocket science. Team doesn't score enough goals and is the least fit Arsenal team in years. They are constantly shagged after 65 minutes, unless subs turn it around.

Emery could never get a tune out of them for more than 60 mins either and neither could the last year of Wenger.

Either they aren't athletes, like Xhaka etc. Or they can't maintain intensity like Laca etc. Or they can't retain concentration - Mustafi etc. Or they are kids who don't have man strength yet. Or they are returning from injuries.

I think the only ones who can last 90 mins is Auba, and he's not a player to defend a lead.

Top Bottom