Mikel Arteta: Serial Trophy Winner?

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by OnlyOne, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Emeryates

Emeryates Heccy Regret

A ****ty RB

2. Riou

Riou Non-Stop Nostalgia

Toure and Gilberto when Arsène announced Gallas as captain after Henry left...

[​IMG]

...still don't know what was going through Wenger's mind with that decision :lol:

lomekian and AberGooner like this.
  3. lomekian

lomekian Well-Known Member

Not sure we can shed them all because likely buyers for that level have been affected by Coronavirus, but I can guarantee that all have their days numbered. It might take till next summer to shift them. But unless Holding kicks on and surpasses his pre-injury level, they'll all be gone.

With Luiz, Auba, Saka, Xhaka, lately Ceballos, Tierney, his praise has been effusive, almost unequvocal. Everyone else has been getting conditional praise or statements with ambiguity. That tells you who he really wants and who's still got question marks.

4. Emeryates

Emeryates Heccy Regret

That worries me

5. KrissKringle

KrissKringle Well-Known Member

Kolo was one of the fastest CBs I've ever seen. I remember his run in the game against Liverpool:

With pace like that he could have easily played winger in his prime.

lomekian and Riou like this.
  6. KrissKringle

Gallas was a toxic figure in the dressing room. Always shouting and barking orders only to commit howlers when you least expect it.
    Leading by example, indeed.

7. Riou

Riou Non-Stop Nostalgia

I can't remember exactly, but I am 99 percent certain in 2002/2003, he played in every outfield position at some point during the season...what a man :lol:

He's one of my fav ever defenders, brilliant character too.

KrissKringle likes this.
  8. lomekian

Deffo slow, but at least he's a decent distributor. I think the plan next year will be to back 4 it with Luiz and Mari rotating on one side and Saliba and someone else on the other

9. lomekian

Sadly our youth defenders are either returning from long term injury or are very unlikely to ever play at the top level or are just miles off that point.

10. squallman

squallman Still Pining for Wenger

I read this as Kola and was wondering what you were on about until I saw Gallas' name.

Wenger backed the wrong horse in that race. Chelsea really did a number on us with that deal.

11. lomekian

If he sticks with 343 I would be very disappointed, but I don't think it will happen. He leaned into this formation because of the fixtures we had, and until today it matched really well against our opponents. Jose was clever with a few tweaks today and our backline soiled the bed. He might use it sometimes next year, but I'd be shocked if it was his go to.

12. KrissKringle

A swole RB. Hector would never.

13. AberGooner

AberGooner Well-Known Member

At the time I thought as devastating as it was to lose Cole we'd done well to get Gallas out of the deal. He was absolute quality under Mourinho at Chelsea, how wrong I was!

squallman likes this.
  14. lomekian

Going from playing alongside Sol Campbell to playing alongside most other defenders is a come down.

Also was always a bit of headless chicken, but a superb athlete, massively determined and a good guy. But he NEEDED the more solid partner.

15. lomekian

Gallas sadly turned out to be an insane narcissist who massively fell out with all his defensive partners...but he was still for the most part a good defender for us.

16. Lakersgooner24

Lakersgooner24 Well-Known Member

Tbh, I didn't think Gallas played badly for us. Thought he was decent defensively all things considered, the first couple seasons in particular. It's just that shambles of a captaincy decision from Wenger culminating in that infamous Birmingham match.

17. Emeryates

Emeryates Heccy Regret

Don't make me post shirtless Heccyy pics

18. lomekian

Its why I think Mari might actually work. Has a more composed style.

19. lomekian

None of our academy kids in defence could even cope in the Championship at the moment. Its fine idea in principle, but in the reality of the situation it would be incredibly damaging for the kid in question, and would probably effectively be throwing a game.

20. lomekian

Well he started off on the wing for us and looked decent too!