Mikel Arteta: Serial Trophy Winner?

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by OnlyOne, Dec 20, 2019.

1. KrissKringle

KrissKringle Well-Known Member

That's the point. Unless we get rid of all the bums here, any new CB will eventually drink the Kool-Aid and become a headless chicken too.

We sorely lack a defensive foundation. That's why I'd like Simeone here for 2 seasons to teach them how to defend and then you can bring whoever you want to play champagne football again.

Remember when Di Matteo won the CL with Chelski? The team still had that mentality that was hammered all those years by Mourinho, so it was just a matter of right place at the right time.
    He didn't do anything special for them to win. They already knew everything they needed to win.

Red London likes this.
  2. Emeryates

Emeryates Heccy Regret

I disagree. Had we got VVD, he would have fixed the defence because he's a leader. We have not signed a single top leader to lead the defence since.... forever.

3. KrissKringle

You're too optimistic. Van Dijk would have been as much of a headless chicken as any of our CBs.
    You need experienced players who can teach the kids how to behave on the pitch and coaches who give them the tactical know how.
    We have none of those, so Van Dijk's leadership skills wouldn't have done much.

4. squallman

squallman Still Pining for Wenger

If we had players worth a damn, they would look out for the kid and make sure he doesn't get overwhelmed. The only player who I think would have tried to do that was Mertesacker, but he's gone now.

Any team worth its salt could slide in a Henri Lansbury any where in the XI and have him not look totally out of his depth with the right tactics and players taking an extra bit of responsibility. It would also require a lot of extra coaching on the pitch to make up for the kids lack of experience.

If you ask me, we're throwing games right now with those two in defence, as it is. I just want Arteta to be ruthless and show them that the kind of **** they have been serving up isn't good enough.

Emeryates likes this.
  5. Riou

Riou Non-Stop Nostalgia

It was probably Per in 2011, and even you said he came with physical limitations...have to go back to ****ing 2001 really in Sol Campbell, for us to have signed a absolute top drawer defender.

People shouldn't underestimate what a impact that level of player can do, Virgil at Liverpool, but Sol for us made a massive difference.

The season before Sol signed, our legendary backline of the 90s was starting to show it's age...we lost 6-1 to United away and 4-0 to Liverpool away, signed Sol that summer and won both those games the next season, The Double too...don't think we go unbeaten without Sol either.

People forget how amazing that Campbell transfer was, we basically replaced our best ever defender in Tony Adams for free, and we had the same level of performance as a team, amazing...a contender for Arsène's best ever signing was Campbell imo.

Could also argue that even though he was past his best in 2005/2006, Sol's nurturing of Kolo and sheer presence, played a part in us reaching our only Champions League final too...he was one of our best performers on that day too, even though his legs had gone.

Haven't been able to identify that player since, and it has shown.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  6. Fewtch

Fewtch Ozil at 10 And Emery Out

He said that he made a switch to 343 because of injuries before the game. It’s definitely just a temporary solution.

7. lomekian

lomekian Well-Known Member

More personnel than coach for me. The crocked Mari and Chambers are the only CB;s at the club that play with composure, and the jury is out on either being good enough. Sadly, its just going to take a while to transition the squad and we need warm bodies in the meantime.

AbouCuéllar likes this.
  8. KrissKringle

How can it be, though? Simeone changed his back line numerous times throughout the years and it's still rock solid. Think about it.

9. lomekian

Firstly you are right about the lack of Mertesackers. I suspect David Luiz would try, but would end up trying to do too much and making things worse because he plays with emotion too often.

That said, there are no kids who play in defence in u23 or u18s who are even close to being Henri Lansbury. He was an incredibly highly rated kid who missed a year via glandular fever and then stagnated, despite occasional brilliance. Our best youth CB is Ballard who's recovering from a cruciate, and is technically limited. Or you've got Medley who has the physical gifts but is just a poor defender even at u23 level. There's nothing there. If we had Mavropanos, I'd be all for giving him a game. But there's no one who could even do a job at the mo.

10. lomekian

A big part of the issue is that Mustafi is the only defender we've spent big club money on in a generation or more.

Wrighty4eva likes this.
  11. Macho

Macho Well-Known Member

Seen a lot of b*tching and moaning today, but I’ve seen nobody credit Mourinho’s defensive set up or point out the fact that’s he’s never lost to Arsenal at home in his entire career.

Our fullbacks were cut off (lost track how many times both Bellerin and Tierney were forced to pass back).
    Our forward 3 had to come deep to collect the ball.
    Another game where we lacked the killer instinct to increase our lead. Or the creativity to keep peppering the goal.
    If it wasn’t for that wonder goal that’s 2-0 really.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  12. Kav

Kav Well-Known Member

Can someone compare Emery's stats for this season to Arteta's. I honestly don't think
    This....even so the scouting could have been better. When other teams can get gems for free but we are paying for david luiz says alot.

13. tactica442

tactica442 Member Trusted

Sad to compare Kolo to this lot of Luiz, Mustafi etc. First 10-meter acceleration, key-moment concentration, agility is really lacking with our defenders.

lomekian likes this.
  14. Ozil'sCloakOfInvisibility

Ozil'sCloakOfInvisibility Not a Closet Spurs Fan

This is such an Emery comment. Bad Mikel

15. L3T5 PL4Y

L3T5 PL4Y Flair Accuser

Xhaka for one more year is understandable but the great problem here is that we will have to continue to readjust with the other players for one single player who is extremely limited. But I agree that we definitely need a senior midfield player who's been here long enough orchestrating the game and as a leader.

What I reckon is the solution here though is getting in Partey but also selling one of Torreira or Xhaka along with Elneny and sending out Willock on loan. With Douzi leaving Willock has a great chance to develop his game and mould him into the Xhaka replacement elsewhere while with the funds from the sales to get a pair of midfielders too. One young with Partey like profile( Ibrahim Sangare) and the other an experienced midfielder with playmaking abilities.

We really missed out on the chance to snap up Leverkusen's Aranguiz for a free. He would've been the perfect highly experienced and balancing player we could've done with. I wonder if with Douzi or Torreira we can snap up a more creative but well rounded midfielder.

Mustafi should still have suitors as despite his brain farts he suits the German way of offensive defending and its very likely Sokratis will bring in some money. If both of them get sold, there's a possibility of us getting in a CB. Its likely that Holding will have suitors as well as Kola can be gotten rid of one way or another. Chambers is unlikely to get a move but I think keeping him around wouldn't be too bad. He is versatile and still has the ability to play cover as well as develop into a good player.

What I'd like to see in defense is loaning a left back from Barcelona or Real Madrid to compete and cover for Tierney and a CB in the mould of Gabriel or Pau Torres. Spending a bit heavy on Ben White might be a great long term investment given he is English as well as good on the ball and can see Saliba and him forming a great long term partnership but its very unlikely. Can see Arteta inclined to snapping up Sarr for free with Mari out and he can cover left back too.

Saliba, Luiz, Mari, Sarr, Chambers and one of Ben White, Gabriel or Pau Torres would be a decent set of options for the way Arteta wants to play I think.

16. bingobob

bingobob Fan of Technicians Who Show Great Character

Arteta waking up knowing drilling and practice can only go so far once the brain stops engaging. Mustafi went from cool and composed to panicked and nervous and with that all the coaching he had went out the window. That's a collapse in mentality. Kolasnic switched off playing the ball back with his weak foot when in reality in should be focused and switched on. No amount of training can train someone to switch on for 90 minutes. Thats down to the individual.

I read earlier posts about Arteta being a yes man. I don't think thats the case he is on record saying we need to spend and strengthen to close the gap. If he was a yes man I'm sure Özil and Guendouzi would be back in the team.

17. EinmalImmerEwig

EinmalImmerEwig Only Wants British Players At Arsenal

when we don't concede in 3 or 4 games in a row everything is really positive

We've never not conceded in 4 games in a row under Arteta.
    Goals conceded list goes like this...
    1,2,0,0,1,1,2,1, then a 3 match run of 0,0,0, against the MIGHTY Burnley, Newcastle, Olympiakos, then 2,2,0,0, corona, 3,2,0,1,0,0,1,2

When you ****s don't concede 4 ****ing goals in a row against someone decent then maybe tweet about it....you can sing it from the rooftops...I'm not holding my breath!

18. yousif_arsenal

yousif_arsenal King of Twitter Rumours Moderator

Arteta will definitely not keep playing 343 next season he doing that at the moment because playing 2 center backs will get exposed because our full backs always high of the pitch.

19. yousif_arsenal

yousif_arsenal King of Twitter Rumours Moderator

I don't understand how you coach these defenders they look solid against Wolves Southampton and even at Leicester then comes Sp**s game and from first6few minutes they already make mistakes under no pressure from the opponent

20. FinnGooner

FinnGooner Well-Known Member

I understand that Arteta tries to emphasize the positives but it’s super annoying when mangers defend the team performance by ball possession. When did that stat become the holy one? So what if we did have more possession when the xG is 1.82 to Sp**s against our bysmal 0.69. Sp**s also win shots on goal by 9 to 4. I guess I better prepare myself to enjoy ball posession more than winning...