• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

lomekian

Essays are my thing
You can get credited an assist for passing to someone 30 yards away from goal and they then smack it into the top corner. That’s not creating a big chance.

“A 'big chance created' is defined as providing an opportunity where the receiving player would reasonably be expected to score and manages to get a shot away. These usually occur in one-on-one scenarios or from very close range.”

For comparison De Bruyne has created 30 big chances so far this season, six times more than all our midfielders combined.

The one comfort we can take is that Jose binned off Lukaku, De Bruyne & Salah for no good reason. Imagine how good Chavski would be if they'd kept those guys....

The odd thing is, for all our trouble with this squad, a KDB type would transform this team.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Good post.

I think the key with retaining Xhaka is to make sure whoever we bring in is not just complementary to him, but also can work alongside other options. Its one reason why Partey makes so much sense as a target as he would be a great partner for Xhaka, but also a good alternative (albeit a different sytle).

I don't think we should loan Willock, but thats in part because I don't see that deeper role being the right use of his skillset. I think his goalscoring potential, and ability to carry the ball long distances mean he's much better for us slightly further forward, possibly as one of 2 8's alongside a 6. Obviously there is a lot of room for experimentation there, but as the only central player bar our strikers with any goal potential, I'd like to keep him in a role where that can be utilised.

Re Aranguiz, I don't know if he would have got a UK work permit when he went to Leverkusen, but agree at that time he would have been a nice addition, particularly had we known what was going to happen to Santi.

I deffo see 2 defenders at least leaving this summer, with Sokratis being nailed on as one, which should bring in 15-25m depending on who the second one is.

I like the targets you've outlined, but not sure who you are thinking of as LB loans? I think the loan market is going to be heavy this summer, so there will be opportunities in some roles, but the specifics remain very hard to predict.

I think we are on similar page in terms of desired direction, I just think it will take a wee bit longer to achieve the desired turnover
Yeah, Willocks a great ball career but

Shalmaneser V

Good post.

I think the key with retaining Xhaka is to make sure whoever we bring in is not just complementary to him, but also can work alongside other options. Its one reason why Partey makes so much sense as a target as he would be a great partner for Xhaka, but also a good alternative (albeit a different sytle).

I don't think we should loan Willock, but thats in part because I don't see that deeper role being the right use of his skillset. I think his goalscoring potential, and ability to carry the ball long distances mean he's much better for us slightly further forward, possibly as one of 2 8's alongside a 6. Obviously there is a lot of room for experimentation there, but as the only central player bar our strikers with any goal potential, I'd like to keep him in a role where that can be utilised.

Re Aranguiz, I don't know if he would have got a UK work permit when he went to Leverkusen, but agree at that time he would have been a nice addition, particularly had we known what was going to happen to Santi.

I deffo see 2 defenders at least leaving this summer, with Sokratis being nailed on as one, which should bring in 15-25m depending on who the second one is.

I like the targets you've outlined, but not sure who you are thinking of as LB loans? I think the loan market is going to be heavy this summer, so there will be opportunities in some roles, but the specifics remain very hard to predict.

I think we are on similar page in terms of desired direction, I just think it will take a wee bit longer to achieve the desired turnover

Regarding Aranguiz, I think he means we should have tried to sign him when his contract was up a couple of months ago before he signed a new 3 year deal.

Shalmaneser V

I've reconsidered and Arteta needs a gentle slap across the face.

Yeah I don’t completely buy this “you can’t blame Arteta as the players are ****” argument.

If Chris Wilder and Marcelo Bielsa can get championship level players to consistently play some good, cohesive disciplined and effective football. I don’t see why Arteta after 7 months is still struggling to do something similar with a squad consisting almost entirely of internationals.

TriniGunner

Mental weakness and lack of composure. Luiz tends to want to be the hero in big games which often works against him. Mustafi is just prone to panic against certain opponents (hes so scared of Kane it's painful), and Kola is technically weak and simply incapable of concentrating for any length of time.

All three of these people shouldn't be in the starting 11 for Arsenal.

Manberg

Predator
Yeah I don’t completely buy this “you can’t blame Arteta as the players are ****” argument.

If Chris Wilder and Marcelo Bielsa can get championship level players to consistently play some good, cohesive disciplined and effective football. I don’t see why Arteta after 7 months is still struggling to do something similar with a squad consisting almost entirely of internationals.

Did we not win 3 on the bounce? Including against your fancied Chris Wilder.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Every game we’ve lost under Arteta there have been individual mistakes.

When we took the lead yesterday I honestly thought we were going to rip open Sp**s.

The thing is it happens so much you can hardly blame the rest for mentally giving up after. Players that come to Arsenal leave mentally scarred, it's a horror show.

gamechannel

Then why

When we took the lead yesterday I honestly thought we were going to rip open Sp**s.
Then why is he rewarding players that consistently make mistakes? Where's the accountability?

nick gould

If you can't be bothered to work hard in training, you are not going to work hard in actual matches. It is unclear to me which player Arteta has left out unfairly that would have been a blatant upgrade from the players that played last night.

It doesn't always apply. Players like Tevez for example are renowned for hating training. But his application in actual games was second to none. Just like school, some people contribute during class discussions and homework and stuff. Some wait for the real thing, the exam and smash it.

Arteta knows our defenders are ****. Its why he turned to 3 at the back. And it worked for 3 games, should have won against Leicester too.

I think Arteta also knows this would happen soon enough. He is not stupid.

My main disappointment is that he didnt fight Edu from signing his agent players who are ****. Mari, Luiz and Soares. Dear lord... no manager deserve that.

Shalmaneser V

I think he can.

Based on what?

From what I’ve seen his footballing IQ doesn’t seem to be particularly high. His decision making is poor. His touch isn’t great. His technique is too basic. Lacks composure and his vision and awareness is almost non-existent.

He does have some useful attributes. Athleticism, stamina, goal threat. Etc.

Maybe I’m being a bit harsh. I get that he’s still young and raw. I guess the jury is very much still out for me.

Shalmaneser V

That’s just it. Why are our players continually making these individual mistakes? When far lesser players at clubs like Sheffield Utd and Burnley are not? For me it stems from a lack of leadership, organisation, preparation and a defined philosophy. 3 things Arteta has so far ultimately failed at.

Btw I didn’t think for one moment we were going to rip Sp**s open once Lacazette scored. In fact I was expecting us to find a way to gift them back into the game. I just didn’t expect it to be soo quick.

Arsenal Quotes

The English codified the rules of football just as the French perfected wine. We don't often ask an English person to come over to make Bordeaux.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom