• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Let's be realistic for next season, we're probably not challenging for top 4. There is nothing in this team that is consistently performing. Our defense needs fixing. As much as I rate saliba he's just a 20 yrs old kid and I don't think he's gonna improve us enough to make us decent in the back. And then we have too many CB under contract to reastically think we will get another one. We have Luiz Mari Sokratis Mustafi Saliba Holding Chambers. Shkodran isn't going anywhere imo there are no buyers for him. Sokratis might go but we already have signed Mari... I don't see us signing another CB since we have too many.

In midfield it's a disaster. If ceballos leaves we would need 3 midfielders imo. Xhaka even though he's been decent under Arteta, he isn't starting in any top 6 team, let alone in the top 4. He's way too limited. He doesn't excel anywhere. Torreira isn't good enough. Willock same. Özil... :lol:

Attack is the only bright side, saka and Pepe have talent and room for improvement. The problem is we don't know if Aubameyang is staying and if he leaves there's no way we can replace his output.

Unless we get 4/5 very good players which would cost a lot, I don't see how we can close the gap.
And most of our dead wood will still be here next season.

To close the gap and make top 4 we need a CB/CDM/creative player this window.

People are severely underrating what 3 top level signings could do to this squad. Players around them would become better. Saliba and a new CB is a completely new partnership as well, unknown but exciting considering Saliba's traits and stats. We have a fantastic left back, pair of keepers and good enough right backs to make top 4. Our attack, like you say, is very exciting.

So with all things considered as long as things go our way in the window, we'll be right up there. We could be 2 points behind top 4 after this season is up. We can close the gap.

Reactions: roz

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
FFP is completely irrelevant until next year.

The point Mikel is trying to make is we could quite comfortably spend 100-200M this summer if the board give it to him. But its a risk because if we don't make CL next year then FFP could catch up with us and we'd have to make some serious cuts.

Arteta would have to know exactly what he needs and wants, which I'm sure he does.
Just cant see us being one of the clubs to drop that amount of money just because FFP paused. For most clubs it will be about streamlining & adapting. We are the most dependent on matchday income in the league.

MDI.png

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Just cant see us being one of the clubs to drop that amount of money just because FFP paused. For most clubs it will be about streamlining & adapting. We are the most dependent on matchday income in the league.

MDI.png

Because Chelsea and United are going to do it its difficult to not try and keep up.

I know we are heavily reliant on revenue. But if we got the deals we want done with a bit of extra cash from KSE, get them done early on, then we have until October to sell and recoup some money. I'm pretty certain even if Mikel were to spend what he wants the net spend wouldn't even be high by October.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
To close the gap and make top 4 we need a CB/CDM/creative player this window.

People are severely underrating what 3 top level signings could do to this squad. Players around them would become better. Saliba and a new CB is a completely new partnership as well, unknown but exciting considering Saliba's traits and stats. We have a fantastic left back, pair of keepers and good enough right backs to make top 4. Our attack, like you say, is very exciting.

So with all things considered as long as things go our way in the window, we'll be right up there. We could be 2 points behind top 4 after this season is up. We can close the gap.

3 Top players it's minimum 150M in today's market, do you see us spending that much?
Why would the club buy a CB when we have already 7 under contract. 6 if sokratis leaves. Mustafi isn't leaving anywhere. Chambers is injured not leaving. There might be a market for Holding but he hasn't played much to attract buyers and a good fee. Then what? Luiz just signed a contract. Mari has just been signed.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
3 Top players it's minimum 150M in today's market, do you see us spending that much?
Why would the club buy a CB when we have already 7 under contract. 6 if sokratis leaves. Mustafi isn't leaving anywhere. Chambers is injured not leaving. There might be a market for Holding but he hasn't played much to attract buyers and a good fee. Then what? Luiz just signed a contract. Mari has just been signed.

Yep. But that wouldn't be £150m net after the sales we make.

On the CB situation I thought the same thing. But if we were to purchase another you then start pushing that list from the top and forcing players out. Chambers and Holding would have to think about leaving. And regardless of outs this summer Sokratis, Mustafi and Luiz' contracts are up next summer.

I'd rather buy a CB now and bed him in than have to rush around and replace 3 or 4 next summer.

Chambers won't be sold due to injury. Mari is here to stay, Luiz also here to stay for a year but I'm okay with that as he's good to have in the dressing room.

Sokratis and Mavropanos will go and Holding and Mustafi could be sold.

Mari
Saliba
Luiz
Chambers
New CB

Considering Chambers injury keeping Holding or Mustafi wouldn't be a bad thing.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐

MDI.png

His points are based around the owner making a one-off investment this summer (however likely that may be). Revenue streams don’t really come into it.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

CL qualification will be a lottery going forward. I think there are 4 CL winning managers in the EPL. 6 to 9 clubs who genuinely believe they belong there or are challenging to be there. Us, City, Liverpool, Chelsea, United, Sp**s, Leicester, Everton and Wolves. They all believe they are a CL team or willing to spend to be one. Only 4 teams qualify through the league but that could be 3 if 1 English team wins the CL and another win the Europa and actually finish outside the top 4.

there is no point just aiming to finish in a CL spot. The aim has to be to win the league, champions league or Europa League. The days of aiming just to qualify need to go as it's too big a lottery now and all clubs need to be prepared to miss out in the future.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
CL qualification will be a lottery going forward. I think there are 4 CL winning managers in the EPL. 6 to 9 clubs who genuinely believe they belong there or are challenging to be there. Us, City, Liverpool, Chelsea, United, Sp**s, Leicester, Everton and Wolves. They all believe they are a CL team or willing to spend to be one. Only 4 teams qualify through the league but that could be 3 if 1 English team wins the CL and another win the Europa and actually finish outside the top 4.

there is no point just aiming to finish in a CL spot. The aim has to be to win the league, champions league or Europa League. The days of aiming just to qualify need to go as it's too big a lottery now and all clubs need to be prepared to miss out in the future.

Of course the aim is to win the league but first step needs to be sign players to finish inside the top 4. Can't do everything in one summer, maybe 75% of it if we're lucky.

GunnerShy

Looking at the way the government messaging is evolving, come mid September I expect at least a significant number of fans will be going to games. It won't be long before all fans are in barring a relapse with Covid. I'm not as pessimistic about the club revenue as others. I think the club needs to spend.

It has to be spent in midfield. Two class midfielders are the priority. - Guendouzi a possible swap or sale to cover part of this.

If Laca and Auba go you want a new centre forward bit that would be about cost neutral.

It can be done. The real challenge is finding a market for Sokratis, Kolasinac, Mustafi, AMN at respectable prices and getting good $ for Auba/Laca.

field442

Trusted ⭐
Looking at the way the government messaging is evolving, come mid September I expect at least a significant number of fans will be going to games. It won't be long before all fans are in barring a relapse with Covid. I'm not as pessimistic about the club revenue as others. I think the club needs to spend.

It has to be spent in midfield. Two class midfielders are the priority. - Guendouzi a possible swap or sale to cover part of this.

If Laca and Auba go you want a new centre forward bit that would be about cost neutral.

It can be done. The real challenge is finding a market for Sokratis, Kolasinac, Mustafi, AMN at respectable prices and getting good $ for Auba/Laca.

There was a story in the Daily Mail the other day that they’re preparing to allow 25% attendances from the start of the new season. They’ll probably be up to 50% at the end of the year.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
His points are based around the owner making a one-off investment this summer (however likely that may be). Revenue streams don’t really come into it.
When Orny or the pack are talking about a cash investment or redeeming bonds its always about stability + to give the club added flexibility during this time. Not seen added transfer funds or a spending spree mentioned once.

field442

Trusted ⭐
When Orny or the pack are talking about a cash investment or redeeming bonds its always about stability + to give the club added flexibility during this time.

That’s not what @HairSprayGooners means though. He’s saying Josh sits down in a meeting and says “right guys, we realise the economy is a bit ****ty at the minute and revenue streams are down so we decided to give you £100m to spend on players this summer”. They haven’t done it before and it’s probably unlikely they do it now but it’s a unique vet of circumstances currently. We won’t know how it all plays out until the window opens.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

Of course the aim is to win the league but first step needs to be sign players to finish inside the top 4. Can't do everything in one summer, maybe 75% of it if we're lucky.
the aim isnt to win the league then if the first step is to get into the top 4.

I think we need an open appraisal of the league. It's not like it was 10 years ago. And it's not just us that need to say that its clubs and the media. No longer can a player say I want to sign for a CL team. That monopoly is nearly gone for teams.

It's a chance for the league to reinvent domestic competitions increase their relevance and for clubs to show the EL means something. Wolves can win the EL and qualify for the Champions League next season.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
the aim isnt to win the league then if the first step is to get into the top 4.

I think we need an open appraisal of the league. It's not like it was 10 years ago. And it's not just us that need to say that its clubs and the media. No longer can a player say I want to sign for a CL team. That monopoly is nearly gone for teams.

It's a chance for the league to reinvent domestic competitions increase their relevance and for clubs to show the EL means something. Wolves can win the EL and qualify for the Champions League next season.

The aim is to win the league in the next 2 or 3 years. The first window aim will allow us to get top 4. Because you can't do it all in one summer.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
The aim is to win the league in the next 2 or 3 years. The first window aim will allow us to get top 4. Because you can't do it all in one summer.

I'd say win the league in 4-5 years is even an outside chance if everything goes our way. First things first which is to get more balance in our team while improving the overall level of the players. Get Europa league next year and then target champions league qualification the year after. If you qualify for the champion's league within 2 seasons you have good momentum with a settled squad, with more income, the younger players are bedded in and it is much easier to make more additions. Then you need to see where you are the season after and then maybe a title tilt the year after. And that is being optimistic, I just dont think we have the squad for it now and by his comments Arteta feels the same.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I'd say win the league in 4-5 years is even an outside chance if everything goes our way. First things first which is to get more balance in our team while improving the overall level of the players. Get Europa league next year and then target champions league qualification the year after. If you qualify for the champion's league within 2 seasons you have good momentum with a settled squad, with more income, the younger players are bedded in and it is much easier to make more additions. Then you need to see where you are the season after and then maybe a title tilt the year after. And that is being optimistic, I just dont think we have the squad for it now and by his comments Arteta feels the same.

4 to 5 years is way too long.

CL needs to be the next step, we've been in the Europa league for far too long now.

You don't want a scenario where we are adding players who are barely an upgrade on what we currently have. That's a sure fire way to just stand still, its the exact trap Everton have fallen into. Spending monstrous amounts to get them to a certain level but now they can't go higher because elite players wont join them.

So they're stuck in a revolving door of spending on average players and constantly not improving.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Anybody got Klopps first transfer deals as Liverpool manager?

January 2016 and summer 2016.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

that's my point. aiming for top 4 isnt enough. Say United win the EL next year and Chelsea win the CL. they finish 5th and 6th and we finish 4th. We are out. Or say we do brilliantly and finish 5th on goal difference or finish 4th and lose the qualifier? its a lottery now more than it ever has been.

I'd like to see us just be a bit more honest about the difficulties of CL qualification. We can spend hundreds of millions and not make it given the amount of teams trying to qualify and the different ways teams can qualify and what that can mean for other teams.

it doesnt necessary mean the season has been a failure. And as I've said this idea that players only want to play for teams in the CL is dead. 10 years ago United were a CL team as were we. Now weve spent years out of it. No club can guarantee it. City could collapse next season as could Liverpool. Or other teams might get their act together as we have seen United and Chelsea start to do.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
4 to 5 years is way too long.

CL needs to be the next step, we've been in the Europa league for far too long now.

You don't want a scenario where we are adding players who are barely an upgrade on what we currently have. That's a sure fire way to just stand still, its the exact trap Everton have fallen into. Spending monstrous amounts to get them to a certain level but now they can't go higher because elite players wont join them.

So they're stuck in a revolving door of spending on average players and constantly not improving.

I agree for where we should be at its way too long, but looking at where we are right now, the first step is Europa league then champions league. I'm not suggesting we buy players that only improve us slightly, quite the opposite, we buy the players that do make the difference and not just scatter-gun it. Be methodical, improve steadily year on year make the smart purchases for players and build from there, we might get lucky and Martinelli or Saka or someone else turns in to an absolute superstar and that could quicken the process.

Even if we get all the players that can get us Champions league this summer it will take them time to settle. If you look at who you;re competing with Liverpool, City, Chelsea and Utd all their squads are pretty settled and they'll be going at it from day one, we'd have to make up so much ground later in the year I cant see it happening.

Top Bottom