<

Mikel Arteta: Serial Trophy Winning MANAGER

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by OnlyOne, Dec 20, 2019.

1. RunTheTrap

RunTheTrap Well-Known Member

Which is why so many of us are dissatisfied. We know we can do better but we have the tendency to drop points for silly silly reasons. We are better than Olympiakos and they knocked us out of Europa. We are better than Brighton but they done the double over us. It’s not an overreaction, it’s been a theme throughout our season.

Emeryates likes this.
  2. Rex Banter

Rex Banter Got Swerved By Gallas Trusted

I just think with a truncated transfer window and clubs around Europe maybe going to the wall it’ll be hard to shift most of these bums.

Think one or two will leave but a lot of these leeches will still be here next year.

Hunta likes this.
  3. Emeryates

Emeryates Heccy Regret

I think Keane said this quite a few times in his inane punditry stint. Our players are too satisfied with one or two good games, as if they've proved all their critics wrong. You need to do that week in, week out. Two good games does not make Mustafi class, or anywhere near the road of redemption. Neither does it make Luiz good enough. Or even Xhaka (Though he's been doing a lot better and lot more consistently than the two clowns).

Trilly and KrissKringle like this.
  4. RunTheTrap

RunTheTrap Well-Known Member

We do this every time we lose to a Mourinho side. “At least we played football” we shout while he laughs to himself but getting another 3 points. There are different ways to play football, just because we had more possession does not mean we outplayed them. Martinez’s goal was a lot more busy than Lloris’s. Look at the xG if you can. Our goal came from sweet strike from Lacazette, their goals came from another Arsenal error and a set piece. Knowing who and what Mourinho represents this was exactly how he would want things to go and we played directly into his trap. I was more impressed with the Leicester game than this one.

5. Emeryates

Emeryates Heccy Regret

I disagree with this. We usually lose to Mourinho's side because of the huge quality difference between us and Chelsea. This was not the case there. However, we gifted them the win with our mistakes and you can't change that without changing the personnel.

I know Mourinho sits back, and we lose to him by losing the ball up the field and them countering, but was today about that? We literally passed the ball to Son. You do that against any coach and they'll beat you.

In the end, it comes down to quality. Under Emery, it was both quality and lack of intent.

Just saying that if we had similar quality players to Chelsea's, Wenger wouldn't have had such a shocking record against Jose either.

Riou likes this.
  6. Ashybashy86

Ashybashy86 Well-Known Member

Does not mean Kolasinac has been good. Holding is better defensively than Kola, which isn't saying much, but still. Kola is only decent as a LWB.

7. Hunta

Hunta Shivering Right Now Trusted

This is worrying. In the run of games we might not have lost but it was clear for all to see that teams started targeting Kolasinac both on and off the ball. Under no pressure he gives sloppy passes and under pressure he’s an even bigger liability.

Emeryates likes this.
  8. Emeryates

Emeryates Heccy Regret

To be fair to Kolasinac, he's not a central defender, he was a left wingback, not even a leftback at Schalke.

To be fair to all of us fans, he's shocking at LWB too.

El Duderino and Tir Na Nog like this.
  9. AberGooner

AberGooner Well-Known Member

Don't see why, now that Holding is fit we couldn't have gave him a run of games till the end of the season. If he makes mistakes or plays poorly can ship him out in the summer but at least give him a chance. How many chances do Mustafi and Kolasinac need to know these guys aren't the answer?

10. Emeryates

Emeryates Heccy Regret

Also, something to consider.

Pep has lost 3 games out of 4 to Ole's United. Losing to one style because his style requires top defenders as well, which he doesn't have this season. Klopp got whacked 4-0 for attempting his style against City away. But top teams stick to their style nowadays, Mourinho type styles just don't work in the modern game. Look at Simeone, he overperforms with Athletico, but he can't win the league, because his sides are too defensive. We need top defenders, or we can't play an expansive style. Either we play like midtable teams or we attempt an expansive style and suffer defeats like this till we add top defenders.

I'd rather see us attack and lose than what Emery attempted. But unless we get top defenders, it doesn't matter who the manager is.

lomekian, El Duderino and Hunta like this.
  11. Hunta

Hunta Shivering Right Now Trusted

After the Liverpool and City games I’d like to see him revert to 4 at the back. I’m worried he’ll continue this formation next season instead of keeping to his original ideas (which I doubt were 343).

12. DanDare

DanDare Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief

My worry is he's been told how much there is to spend and realised this formation is the most pragmatic with what he'll have next season

13. Emeryates

Emeryates Heccy Regret

Which two defenders at the back would you trust through the middle? Arteta is resorting to a back 3 primarily because there are no two players good enough, nor is Bellerin good enough as a RB for a back four.

14. Manberg

Manberg Predator

Every team drops points for silly reasons. Liverpool lost 3-0 to Watford.

15. Emeryates

Emeryates Heccy Regret

Great teams are more consistent too and good players too. Tierney has far less silly games than Kolasinac, VVD has far less silly games than Mustafi and so on.

16. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Vinai Venkatesham Stan Trusted

Don't know who else could play there, Holding is rubbish on the ball as well.

17. TromsoGooner

TromsoGooner Well-Known Member

Holdi
    Holding one decent game against Southampton and people start to make him out to be the solution. He has generally looked awful whenever given the chance, slow, hesitant and poor on the ball.

18. lomekian

lomekian Well-Known Member

Mustafi he was ambiguous about. Luiz? He took half his wages and is our only defender who can kick the ball straight with both feet. and is still better than most of our other defenders. Plus he's a vocal supporter of Arteta which is important for a new coach in a squad where there is likely to be turnover in the next year. Otherwise you end up being Emery where those who have your back are the minority.

19. Emeryates

Emeryates Heccy Regret

Too bad he can't do the part where you defend

20. lomekian

lomekian Well-Known Member

Yup it was classic Mourinho. Push for the first 20 mins, suck the oxygen out of the game for the whole middle and push for the last 20. Arteta could have been quicker with his subs, and maybe should have changed shape to challenge Sp**s 2nd half lock down of the the flanks, but Willock is the only one who cold have threatened the centre.

Sp**s were v clever defensively, and sadly our defence did its usual thing. If we can have enough competent centrebacks to play a back 4 (Luiz would be fine - not great, but fine - with the right partner if we play a proper DM in front), we could go back to 3 in midfield and get more support progressing the ball.

As you say, the problem is the squad Arteta has inherited is one where the senior players are either not good enough or all play well in different systems with different tactics to each other. The final 2 years of Wenger / Gazidis were a recruitment **** show, and even under Sven, we bought good players, but not good players that would play well with each other. Likewise Pepe - a player who excelled in a system we don't play.

SA Gunner likes this.