• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
man management

Man management being some of the worst I've ever seen. I know there were communication issues, but how he handled the captain issue was abysmal.

For me he provoked the Crystal Palace incident. Dragged the whole thing out way too long, spoke nonsensical and noncommittal stuff, bought himself an excuse more than anything with the player vote and most of all backed Xhaka 0% during all of it. From captaincy to the attacks/abuse targeted towards his family.

Any decent manager would have erased any doubt about who's captain during the summer break so the team and player could start the season without a giant shadow looming over them.

That, among other reasons, is why Emery lost me during the start of the season.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

Emery “tactical masterclass“, where he breaks down his UEFA cup win - which none of our other managers have managed to do till this day.

This Sevilla was a compact technical side and kind of the team I expected when Emery joined but we never got that.

I wonder how his reign would have looked if we actually got Monchi instead of Edu and if he had Bellerin and Tierney this season. AMN had to learn on the job (we’ve had 4 or more players in rb this season) and lb was a problem until Saka emerged. Let’s not forget Bellerin was on red hot form until his last injury.

You can see he relies on isolating the opponent and hoping something happens with individual quality - which we did see here during his time here and can’t say I was a fan. This meant very few chances created for us and it makes sense that he insisted on Zaha who is a known protagonist.

Alas he was always going to get fired. His English was poor which meant he lost the popularity contest, plus the fans and the squad wasn’t ready for his hostile approach against Özil.

Staggering how different that Liverpool side is from back then compared to now. This was against Klopp.

This game alone was the reason I was very happy about getting Emery in 2018, he destroyed Liverpool in that second half...and he continued that trend in his first season here, how many times where we losing or drawing at halftime then turned it into a big W.

I was satisfied with his first season, up until the last few games...and if we are honest after the Europa League final collapse, he should have been sacked that summer, something was clearly broken between him and the players...think most Arsenal fans would have backed Mikel to get top four last season if he had more time.

Still don't see him as a manager I dislike, despite how bad the last 6 months or so of his reign were...just a manager a little out of his depth, a bit similar to Moyes at Yanited...hopefully he can turn his career around at Villarreal now.

Last edited:

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

This game alone was the reason I was very happy about getting Emery in 2018, he destroyed Liverpool in that second half...and he continued that trend here in his first season here, how many times where we losing or drawing at halftime then turned it into a W.

I was satisfied with his first season, up until the last few game...and if we are honest after the Europa League final collapse, he should have been sacked that summer, something was clearly broken between him and the players...think most Arsenal fans would have backed Mikel to get top four last season if he had more time.

Still don't see him as a manager I dislike, despite how bad the last 6 months or so of his reign was...just a manager a little out of his depth, a bit similar Moyes at Yanited...hopefully he can turn his career around at Villarreal now.
Yup I share similar thoughts to you. I saw we announced him and thought, yeah ok lets see what he can do.

I was also fine with his first season here right until the end where you could see his deficiencies start to really show. His start was more positive than people remember. I hope people remember this when it comes to Arteta how quickly things can change.

He approached things like we were a small club, so yeah agreed with out of his depth point.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Why are you posting this in the Arteta thread?

Also Monchi has been terrible and wouldn't have done anything good here, he just spams transfers and hopes some will be successful or profitable. There wasn't a single bit of Emery's stint here you could describe as positive. From tactical and stylistic approach to man management
I couldn't see the Emery thread? and I like comparing the managers - its interesting how they've all come to similar conclusions and formations and how they are digested by the fans.

All of our recent managers have reverted to 3/5 at the back in hard times for example.
Wenger aside, they all don't fancy Özil..
Auba always ends up on the wing..etc etc

I like looking at things objectively, he wasn't the right fit but hes not the joke people here try to make him out to be. He's accomplished a fair bit particularly in Spain in Euro competitions which can't be said by most of our previous and current managers.

Ofcourse there were positives, Emery actually helped establish a lot of our current first team players - notably Saka, along with Leno, Guendouzi (hasn't worked out now), Martinelli, (who hasn't figured as much under Arteta even before injury).. Lacazette had his best season with us to date under him.

Last edited:

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Will the Liverpool game be our first game back?
No friendly?

I've not seen anything about any sort of preseason

Although we might play Barnet or something. We played some friendlies prior to the season starting behind closed doors

TornadoTed

Established Member
3 years to win the CL sounds ridiculous but Liverpool went from bang average to European Champions in 4 years so why not.

With our recent history of being able to raise our game for cup competitions and Arteta's tactical know how it seems more realistic than winning the Premier League oddly enough.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
3 years to win the CL sounds ridiculous but Liverpool went from bang average to European Champions in 4 years so why not.

With our recent history of being able to raise our game for cup competitions and Arteta's tactical know how it seems more realistic than winning the Premier League oddly enough.

Klopp -

Half season at Liverpool - finished 8th.
First full season at Liverpool - finished 4th (CL).
Second full season at Liverpool - finished 4th again but made CL final.
Third full season at Liverpool - finished 2nd and won the CL.
Fourth full season at Liverpool - won the premier league title.

So Arteta is basically trying to follow this. Going to need some big windows, but our squad is much further along than Liverpools was. We have the keeper situation sorted for example and already have an elite goalscorer at the club.

First step is to haul ourselves back into the CL which is very possible with a great transfer window and Arteta at the helm.

cbc23783be0e61ea05bb5ecc05ab7ff2.gif

This is must be Arteta's house right now plotting our course to European domination.

Top Bottom