• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Honestly want to know who was handling player contracts.

Slowly getting better but still some extremely strange decisions.

Players before Arteta came
--------------------------------
Özil - Hasn't played since signing contract.
Pepe - Hasn't been given enough chances to justify himself.
Luiz - average player. large contract.

Players after Arteta came
------------------------------
Cedric - strange signing...hasnt been since since ever.
Ceballos - average player, why is he being used in the first team?
Willian - in his twilight. seems wasted with Reiss and other present.
Mari - unknown

It is a flipping sham. Someone needs to answer, and it was a good decision for Raul to be thrown out.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Think part of why we were very stodgy against West Ham is potentially the switch in mindset since Arteta joined into making sure to stay compact defensively. If then the opposition stays very compact themselves I can see players quickly run out of ideas or get unsure where to play the ball.

I think we played poorly overall and much can be attributable to early missed passes making team overall unsure, but maybe we have to accept this stodginess at times. We are not that easy to counter and teams don’t cut through us as easily as before.

Still, we conceded more shots against West Ham than I think we should allow. They hit the cross bar also, so it wasn’t just one fluke goal we conceded. Hopefully we can find back to our better form next game.

Mraven

Stan have to be careful, Arteta will move to club like Barcelona in few years time if not backed properly. Everyone is not Arsène Wenger.

I’m not sure. People like Wenger, Klopp and I think also Arteta are special. They are not happy with just taking over a top team and winning. They want to build something of their own. It seems that is what Arteta is doing here so far

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

A lot of the lower clubs when we play then, Burnley are a perfect example, WH on the weekend aswell, they like to sit back deeply to defend so our top players can't make many runs then they can hit us on the counter. It annoys me how we struggle to beat the bottom teams because they do this against us.

We don't always need to score by playing that brand of fancy football, why don't we try shooting from the edge of the box every now & then, perhaps get them off guard. Xhaka has a good shot on him, Santi was that type aswell had a top shot on him, Auba does. If we get Partey he'll be the same & have a good shot on him.

GoonerBoy19

I’m not sure. People like Wenger, Klopp and I think also Arteta are special. They are not happy with just taking over a top team and winning. They want to build something of their own. It seems that is what Arteta is doing here so far

But will Arteta have patience to deal with the board on a longer run? Wenger and Klopp won titles in first few seasons and had motivation to stay back, Arteta will be chasing shadows with this crappy team unless they invest in key areas. I don't think Arteta will be happy with FA cup or League cup, which is max we could win with these kind of squad.

Breezy

I'm not sure what the plan is and I have never been into blindfold games. Arteta has already been coaching the team for a while. The scoreline tells a tiny bit of the whole story.

If we want to play possession football then we must use the full width of the pitch to create some space, we need quick runs into this space, make the opposition sink into quicksand, moving or changing rapidly and unpredictably. We need runs in between the lines, either with or without the ball and a bigger role for our fullbacks who must constantly bomb forward. Our off the ball movement is also non-existent.

Our players look like they are piecing together disjointed fragments of information.

While I completely agree about the need of new additions I also believe that Arteta still needs to show in these games he has a solution. He can get away with this approach against bigger sides where we just invite pressure and hope for the best but we can't be playing like this all the time. Unless something changes, there's no way we finish higher than 6th this year.

Son, I’m just gonna tell you this one time, you wanna keep posting here, stay off the drugs.

Godwin1

Very well-known
While I completely agree about the need of new additions I also believe that Arteta still needs to show in these games he has a solution. He can get away with this approach against bigger sides where we just invite pressure and hope for the best but we can't be playing like this all the time. Unless something changes, there's no way we finish higher than 6th this year.
I do agree with your assessment he just doesn't trust our CB's, I think he'll wait until the new lads settle in, and he doesn't trust our midfielders, and we're currently waiting on new additions. I see little chance of him changing the way we play in the near future.

scytheavatar

Established Member
The club is dying with Stan in charge. You appoint Arteta and tell him to get blood out of a stone while Sp**s bring in Bergwijn, Reguilion, Bale, Holjberg for Jose, all starters or very close.

None of these players will be an upgrade from what we currently have...... and signing Bale would be just us signing a second Özil.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
The club is dying with Stan in charge. You appoint Arteta and tell him to get blood out of a stone while Sp**s bring in Bergwijn, Reguilion, Bale, Holjberg for Jose, all starters or very close.
Bergwijn is definitely not a starter and has scored 3 goals in 19 games. Reguillon is a glorified loan and in a position where we have Tierney. Hojbjerg is absolute trash. And Bale is Bale. A has been who'll barely play 15 games this season.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
I'm not sure what the plan is and I have never been into blindfold games. Arteta has already been coaching the team for a while. The scoreline tells a tiny bit of the whole story.

If we want to play possession football then we must use the full width of the pitch to create some space, we need quick runs into this space, make the opposition sink into quicksand, moving or changing rapidly and unpredictably. We need runs in between the lines, either with or without the ball and a bigger role for our fullbacks who must constantly bomb forward. Our off the ball movement is also non-existent.

Our players look like they are piecing together disjointed fragments of information.

This is such a bad take. The only game we sat back and "hoped for the best" was against Liverpool at home. Did we sit back against them in the Community Shield? Or against United at home? Chelsea? Even against City in the cup semi final we were by far the better team in the 1st half.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I still say I see a lot of similarities between Arteta and Emery.

Emery got slated for overly defensive line ups and unconvincing wins - but I guess Arteta’s execution and all round communication is superior.

Either way, without investment from the club it’s just gonna end the same way anyways. Both managers didn’t have the personnel to play their preferred formations. These players will eventually sell Arteta out.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

I still say I see a lot of similarities between Arteta and Emery.

Emery got slated for overly defensive line ups and unconvincing wins - but I guess Arteta’s execution and all round communication is superior.

Either way, without investment from the club it’s just gonna end the same way anyways. Both managers didn’t have the personnel to play their preferred formations. These players will eventually sell Arteta out.
Emery was giving away 30+ shots to the opposition (like Watford) with 8 defensive players on the pitch. Big difference with Arteta imo.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Emery was giving away 30+ shots to the opposition (like Watford) with 8 defensive players on the pitch. Big difference with Arteta imo.
Yeah big myth, the amount of shots on goal under Arteta was the same 2nd half of last season. Chelsea, City, Pool fell way short of expected goals (a lot of guilt edged chances were missed if you recall).

You can read about it here if you care:
https://theathletic.co.uk/1945591/2...rticle_source=search&search_query=superficial

Similarities I have noted

- Both Arteta and Emery have relied on 5 at the back, even against small teams because of personnel

- Both have frozen out Özil

-Both Arteta and Emery value experienced wingers over Pepe (Zaha and Willian respectively)

- Both came to the conclusion that Aubameyang is better off on the left with Lacazette central

- Both are more than happy to give up possession entirely if need be.

- Both insist on playing out from the back, Leno being better at it than Cech eventually had him take number 1 - proof here: https://www.skysports.com/football/...esses-battle-between-petr-cech-and-bernd-leno

There's more but I have forgotten. Arteta's big W's so far is keeping Auba who would have certainly left under Emery and the FA Cup.

Initially we had a major improvement against big teams/matches under Emery too. People will deny what I am saying but I have provided proof. They are a lot more similar than people care to admit.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Yeah big myth, the amount of shots on goal under Arteta was the same 2nd half of last season. Chelsea, City, Pool fell way short of expected goals (a lot of guilt edged chances were missed if you recall).

https://theathletic.co.uk/1945591/2...rticle_source=search&search_query=superficial

- Both Arteta and Emery have relied on 5 at the back, even against small teams because of personnel
-Both Arteta and Emery value experienced wingers over Pepe (Zaha and Willian respectively)
- Both came to the conclusion that Aubameyang is better off on the left with Lacazette central
- Both insist on playing from the back, Leno being better at it than Cech eventually had him take number 1 - proof here: https://www.skysports.com/football/...esses-battle-between-petr-cech-and-bernd-leno

There's more but I have forgotten. Arteta's big W's so far is keeping Auba who would have certainly left under Emery and the FA Cup.

Initially we had a major improvement against big teams/matches under Emery too.

People will deny what I am saying but I have provided proof.
You have provided nothing.

Arteta is the one.

#DeathToTheUnfaithful

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard

- Both insist on playing out from the back, Leno being better at it than Cech eventually had him take number 1 - proof here: https://www.skysports.com/football/...esses-battle-between-petr-cech-and-bernd-leno

Initially we had a major improvement against big teams/matches under Emery too. People will deny what I am saying but I have provided proof. They are a lot more similar than people care to admit.

Don't see the problem here tbh. Emery is a good tactictian and knows football. Arteta having similar decisions just proves the guy is way above his age when it comes to understanding the technical/tactical side of the game.

The difference is in execution and clarity of ideas. Transmiting them to the squad and having belief. That separates the good managers from the top class ones. I think Arteta can slowly become one but you can only do so much with what you have.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Don't see the problem here tbh. Emery is a good tactictian and knows football. Arteta having similar decisions just proves the guy is way above his age when it comes to understanding the technical/tactical side of the game.
Have no problem with this at all. I just find the disdain for Emery interesting. He didn’t work out for us due to his short comings (man management and poor communication outside of Spanish) but in my opinion he’s not a bad coach. He’s actually done stuff in football.

I wanted to point out a lot of the conclusions and tactics both coaches/managers have come to during their tenure are identical. I feel not enough blame is on the players themselves and the people above the managers. Arteta will eventually face the same problems.

Even if both managers wanted to play an attacking brand of football - with the squad as is they simply couldn’t.

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member

Pay wall. But overall, I think you make a good argument and I’m a fan of that.

I think we look more solid with Arteta and it appears we create more from open play and flow into attack more confidently with a clear plan.

Pro tip: call stats “metrics” for credibility

Latest posts

Top Bottom