• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Mikel seems to me to be thinking long term , he has a blue print in mind he wants to establish even though he doesn’t quite have the players to fit in it yet . Would be fairer to judge him in 2-3 years . The technical standard in our team is pretty low at this time.

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
Fully back the guy.

Delivering results and solidifying the team while the entire club remains a ****show.

Reminds me of a certain Arsenal menagerial legend.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
It's only ESR and Özil, and neither will play this season. Saka does some good stuff, but his first touch is not what it should be for that role.
I think our best chance for this season is that we give Ceballos a chance in a more advanced role, let's say for 5 games, and see how that goes. Xhaka and Partey will do fine behind him, but we desperately need someone who can take the ball in an advanced position
I'm glad someone mentioned Saka's iffy touch (at times).

He's our golden boy and a star in the making but that's his weakness.

Re Ceballos, I also think it's worth playing him more forward, ahead of Partey and Xhaka/Elneny, but I don't harbour much hope that he has the quickness of thought or the vision in the first place to play creative passes in advanced areas.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
Fully behind Arteta, the guy pulled the Fa cup out of the bag 6months in to his material career with a team that finished midtable....that in it self in an unbelievable achievement. You can see he's working to a plan, he's got a big mess to sort out and he's done an outstanding job. Ffs he has players like luiz, Kola and Pepe to work with...those players won't get anywhere near any top four squad.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Mikel seems to me to be thinking long term , he has a blue print in mind he wants to establish even though he doesn’t quite have the players to fit in it yet . Would be fairer to judge him in 2-3 years . The technical standard in our team is pretty low at this time.
It’s been a year. How many years you think he is gonna get in a big club? You saw what happened to emery. Same thing will happen to Arteta if he doesn’t deliver cl football by next season at the latest

Manberg

Predator
It’s been a year. How many years you think he is gonna get in a big club? You saw what happened to emery. Same thing will happen to Arteta if he doesn’t deliver cl football by next season at the latest

He has delivered two trophies against the odds. He's making brilliant progress all things considered. What do you expect? To be challenging for the league title so soon? :lol:

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
He's got a 62.1% win rate as manager. As long as he stays in and around that figure, he isn't going anywhere

GDeep™

League is very weak
We’re not a CL club anymore and spend less money than even Everton now. Doesn’t matter who is manager, Arsenal is a tough job given the financial restrictions.

Arteta is a top coach and doing a good job.

blaze_of_glory

It has not been a year. He was hired in December. Emery had 1.5 seasons, Mikel is about halfway through that and already has had more success.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Terrible and useless managers like Ole and Frank are getting CL because their clubs spend cash.

Arteta a top coach, is in a constant fight because his club has no money.
Relax with the no money business. Its not as much as the club should have in terms of its size and its previous success but we have a massively bloated squad with a large wage bill. Our highest paid player doesnt even play for us and we have so many 50-100k a week players we want to get shot of. On top of that, every single asset we had diminished in value due to the actions of the previous regime. Ramsey, Alexis, Özil, RvP and Nasri were 250m+ worth of talent and all we got for them was a few million and a bag of crisps. Add onto that that we recently dropped out of the CL.

So there we have 3 influencers:
- Bloated wage bill
- Hardly any money made to reinvest from the previous batch of players
- A few seasons without CL football

With time, at least 2 of those can be fixed with good management of the club. If Edu and Vinai manage the squad and our assets better than Ivan did then we will automatically free up more money to spend. We have a lot of assets we are actually sitting on now. If we act like Liverpool, Sp**s or Chelsea (and we better start doing so ffs) then we can get £20m+ for people like Nketiah and Nelson if we decide to sell. We need to start planning the trajectories of young academy players and selling them at a good time. If Nketiah doesnt explode this season we should sell him next summer for example, while with Nelson I would loan him and see how he fares first.

In terms of contracts I dont like the Cedric one for example but soon Özil, Sokratis, Mustafi, Kolasinac will be gone which is around 600k+ a week (thats £31m a season on people we dont use, that can almost sign a promising young player like Edouard or Daka).

The last factor is CL and can hopefully be achieved over time even if Arteta cant do it against the odds, as the two above factors can aid us if done well. But I still have faith that Arteta can get us CL football in this season or next which will further boost our finances.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
He needs to find a transition to be more attacking. It's hard because we have a chaotic CB in Luiz but we should be playing 4 at the back to add in another midfielder to be more creative

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

It has not been a year. He was hired in December. Emery had 1.5 seasons, Mikel is about halfway through that and already has had more success.
We will see. All I know if this 5 defender thing continues and the same level of football, 12 months from now majority will want his m out. Fans turn quickly against boring negative football

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
We will see. All I know if this 5 defender thing continues and the same level of football, 12 months from now majority will want his m out. Fans turn quickly against boring negative football
That is mostly true, but if it gets us some success or progression in terms of our table position then he will be kept and fans will hope that he is playing 5 at the back to cover for the fact he has no creative players. Maybe we will fix that next summer if our defence continues to improve. He has fixed something which we've been mostly bad at since after the invincibles. Emery did not do that, he played negative football and we still looked so unorganised.

akhil

Terrible and useless managers like Ole and Frank are getting CL because their clubs spend cash.

Arteta a top coach, is in a constant fight because his club has no money.

Money is part of it, beyond the top 2 the rest of the league was terrible last year. 75 points was the average for 4th place for the previous few years except last when 3rd and 4th got 66. Ole and Frank were ****, but everybody else was worse. Us and Sp**s were relegation form till December.

Can keep complaining about money spent, but Poch and Wenger significantly outperformed their spending in their better years.

We play **** football right now and I'm not seeing any risks being taken with youth or even a change of shape yet. We play 3-4-3 against teams worse than us as well.

He keeps talking in interviews about taking risks and playing out from the back, but when the ball gets to the middle 3rd, we're so unbelievably cautious and never take any risks. We're crap in terms of chance creation, comparable to the bottom 4-5 teams. Having 2 strikers on the pitch means squat when they're nowhere near the box for most of the game.

I get we've had a tough first few games, but after the Utd game I want to see some more attacking football.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Relax with the no money business. Its not as much as the club should have in terms of its size and its previous success but we have a massively bloated squad with a large wage bill. Our highest paid player doesnt even play for us and we have so many 50-100k a week players we want to get shot of. On top of that, every single asset we had diminished in value due to the actions of the previous regime. Ramsey, Alexis, Özil, RvP and Nasri were 250m+ worth of talent and all we got for them was a few million and a bag of crisps. Add onto that that we recently dropped out of the CL.

So there we have 3 influencers:
- Bloated wage bill
- Hardly any money made to reinvest from the previous batch of players
- A few seasons without CL football

With time, at least 2 of those can be fixed with good management of the club. If Edu and Vinai manage the squad and our assets better than Ivan did then we will automatically free up more money to spend. We have a lot of assets we are actually sitting on now. If we act like Liverpool, Sp**s or Chelsea (and we better start doing so ffs) then we can get £20m+ for people like Nketiah and Nelson if we decide to sell. We need to start planning the trajectories of young academy players and selling them at a good time. If Nketiah doesnt explode this season we should sell him next summer for example, while with Nelson I would loan him and see how he fares first.

In terms of contracts I dont like the Cedric one for example but soon Özil, Sokratis, Mustafi, Kolasinac will be gone which is around 600k+ a week (thats £31m a season on people we dont use, that can almost sign a promising young player like Edouard or Daka).

The last factor is CL and can hopefully be achieved over time even if Arteta cant do it against the odds, as the two above factors can aid us if done well. But I still have faith that Arteta can get us CL football in this season or next which will further boost our finances.
Yet despite all that, our position in the amount of investment put in by the club into the squad of players has been the same for the last 5 years. And it's not going to change anytime soon with Kronke on board, particularly now we're out of CL football and ballsing up rubbish long term contracts for old players.
https://arsenal-mania.com/forum/threads/arsenals-true-spending-position-there-is-no-top-6.34577/.

Last edited:

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Can keep complaining about money spent, but Poch and Wenger significantly outperformed their spending in their better years.
They did but look how they were treated.

Poch had the 6th most expensive squad and he amazingly over performed to finish 5th, 3rd,2nd, 3rd, 4th. In 208/19 when he looked like he would finish a little lower he was sacked. The board understood nothing about how football works. No manager can sustain top 4 without top 4 investment.

Wengers case was similar, the most he had was the 5th most expensive squad and he finished 4th, 3rd, 2nd, before the fans in frustration campaigned to remove him. Then he only dropped to 5th before they became apoplectic.

There is no understanding of football even amongst all those so called experts, pundits and most fans.

Last edited:

Preacher

Always Crying
91bh14zxo0v51.png

Our attack is too blunt. Our strikers are isolated too often. It is too easy to force us wide. Seeing this kind of pass map is as painful as seeing real thing on the pitch. Arteta needs to find internal solutions asap.

Top Bottom