• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Manberg

Predator
Ye Auba and Pepe hugging the touchline to put crosses in to Laca is definitely where our strengths lie, got it.

Saka, Tierney, Bellerin, Auba, Pepe, Willian. These are pretty much our only proven creative players. Their common denominator? They are wide players. So you suit the system to play through the wings and make their creativity count, which is what the manager's done.

If our creative players were central players, the system would be different. But that's not the case, is it? Currently we don't even have an AM.

Kysus

Saka, Tierney, Bellerin, Auba, Pepe, Willian. These are pretty much our only proven creative players. Their common denominator? They are wide players. So you suit the system to play through the wings and make their creativity count, which is what the manager's done.

If our creative players were central players, the system would be different. But that's not the case, is it? Currently we don't even have an AM.

Pepe is a wide forward and used to play much more central, now hugging the touchline.
Auba is a striker, now hugging the touchline.
Willian used to roam, now hugging the touchline.

Wide is the low-risk zone, Arteta's zone.

Reactions: JCB

Manberg

Predator
Pepe is a wide forward and used to play much more central, now hugging the touchline.
Auba is a striker, now hugging the touchline.
Willian used to roam, now hugging the touchline.

Wide is the low-risk zone, Arteta's zone.

Stretches the opposition and allows for underlaps. I don't see the issue. They're not instructed to stay wide.

Pepe's the opposite actually. He's comfortable hugging the touchline. Arteta asks him to go central but Pepe's uncomfortable with it.

The issue is with the decision making in the final third. Not a result of the system but of players not knowing how or not being able to pass and move.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

So simple from Wenger. Zero tactics. Zero instructions they said. Just go out and play this incredible football! Yet nobody replicated it.

Not a fan of managers who over complicate things tbh. Football is a very simple game and players aren’t the smartest, they can only take so much instructions from a manager on the touchline. He’s literally thinking for them.

Pep has definitely had an influence on Arteta with the way he loves to over complicate simple things.

Kysus

Ye I do not see the issue either, isolate your best scorers/creators at the corner flag to allow for underlaps from your defenders, genius!
I'm shocked we create nothing like that, how dare you not to score from the corner flag Auba, clearly out of form.

Reactions: JCB

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

This reinforces my view though, look at that midfield...Arteta-Ramsey-Cazorla-Özil-Rosicky...if you want quality football, you need quality players, something we don't have.
We do though but your boi too busy not negotiating. Even against Dundalk and Europa league guys where the kids are playing we look the same.

Ramsey and Walcott and etc were never the most technically astute.

Kav

Established Member
I'm aware of that. By saying I expect more for the money paid, I'm also implying that it's money not well spent. You didn't need to write an essay to argue about a misunderstanding of my English.

Auba is our biggest goal threat. How can you not build an attack around him? Pepe is supposed to be the threat on the other wing but he's failed to deliver. There's no other solution in our squad, it's the best we have and it's not good enough.

You are ignoring the important bit of the post.That its Arteta's job to fix the problems. The players don't select themselves or decide on the formation. That is the manager not doing his job. When all your players start looking mediocre it is no longer an individual issue but a systemic one.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I’m tuning out until further notice anyways, we’re awful to watch and the vibes from the squad are off, just like when Emery was here.

Manberg

Predator
You are ignoring the important bit of the post.That its Arteta's job to fix the problems. The players don't select themselves or decide on the formation. That is the manager not doing his job. When all your players start looking mediocre it is no longer an individual issue but a systemic one.

What if the only long term fix the manager (or any manager in his position) can apply for many of the problems is through signings? Selling players like Lacazette and Pepe and instead getting the players he wants? Including an attacking mid.

An attack lacking balance is a systemic issue in itself. Not one that can be solved through using the same personnel.

RandomHero84

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saka
Wenger over performed. Even at the end.

I'm not Arteta out, and I don't want to get on his back, this is not an easy job. I really don't enjoy watching us at all. We are not threatening, and we don't have many identifiable strengths as a team.

You could argue defensive solidity, but its really just bodies in the box isn't it. We've seen Burnley teams do that and be hard to beat. I don't think we are more than the sum of our parts, and our parts are now mid-table.

greekgooner

Player:Martinelli
You could see the dissapointment in willocks face when he sees that he is the one to be substituted. I think part of our squad is unsetlled at the moment and feels misjuged and this is a very bad sign...

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
None of our current players touch Diaby or Nasri on the ball, top footballers ( @GDeep™ has called them this, but it fits his agenda for them to be average now I guess) plus Cesc, who could raise the game of those around him just by being on the pitch, ridiculous player...Walcott was a great out ball back then, maybe the fastest Arsenal player ever (so teams dropped back more against us then, allowing our playmakers more space) Bendtner wasn't that great, but at least had a physical presence we could play off, Silvestre was crap, but the whole backline was fast as **** around him at least (Sagna-Gallas-Clichy) Denilson is average, but still better than Xhaka...everything just fit together then, better than it does now, from an attacking point of view.

You guys are gonna have to do better than that, I'm afraid ;)

Last edited:

Kav

Established Member
But people are trying to tell me these are quality players
Nasri, Diaby and Denilson were quality players. Even Walcott was a decent (limited) scoring winger. Bendtner wasted his talent but we had some duds for sure, Silvestre, Squilacci, Senderos, Gervinho, Gallas was madness as well. He over achieved with some of those players.

Manberg

Predator
I want the confidence back at Arsenal and playing this kind of sexy football again:

I don't know why the confidence dropped this season. But it happens every year. Even under Wenger. Yes, many of you choose to remember the good times and block out the bad.

Xhaka needs to get back to directing our play with his arms, because our players aren't passing right at the moment.

Top Bottom