• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
My bollocks drop to the floor mate. You could never sweep it, not even if you kept at it for a lifetime.
giphy.gif

Kav

Established Member
I think it's naive to think that way, it's now more important than ever to have a unique style of football. The old school days where you could play dead football, win somehow 1:0, and everyone would be happy with that are over. The new generations of fans see football as entertainment more than anything, football is global and our future revenue will be tied to that. That's from the commercial side which too many ignore at our club, probably the reason why our deals were so bad for the last 10-15 years. In a competitive market, like football is, where there are more "big clubs" than ever, you can't just be boring and expect that your fan base will increase, the fan base will decrease because the last successful era was over 15 years ago. That will result in weak commercial deals and us struggling to compete

Even if we ignore all of that, it's ridiculous to expect us to have any success with so few chances created. Our decent results under Arteta were more down to overachieving with so few chances, and complete reliance on Auba to score from no service. Yeah, as you can imagine, Auba can't do it forever and the struggle is obvious now.
This post proves most of the fan base don’t know what they are talking about or even want from the club.

Wenger was known for producing entertaining teams yet t fans wanted him out because they wanted more they wanted results. They wanted to win at all cost. They even praised wenger when his team played on the counter and got results against City and Bayern.

Now they are saying they need entertainment and not just boring wins.

shows you can’t please the masses.

Manberg

Predator
This post proves most of the fan base don’t know what they are talking about or even want from the club.

Wenger was known for producing entertaining teams yet t fans wanted him out because they wanted more they wanted results. They wanted to win at all cost. They even praised wenger when his team played on the counter and got results against City and Bayern.

Fans are fickle and they all think they are experts these days, including us on AM. Wenger himself spoke about this repeatedly. He likened it to doctors needing to tell patients what they have regardless of what patients read about on the internet.
The manager is the expert and he has to do what he thinks is right, whether or not it’s in line with what the fans think.

Patient fans wait until the end of the season to judge the manager.

Kav

Established Member
To add to @Tir Na Nog 's post, comparing Wenger to Arteta is pretty ludicrous for another few number of reasons as well. Arteta didn't inherit a world class defense. Arteta doesn't just get to chase after Man Utd in a mostly terrible league otherwise. Arteta has to fight against a world class manager in nearly every competitive team with equal or higher financial resources where average quality of the player is much closer in the league than previous times.
Be honest that was not a world class defense. As highly as you may think of Bould, Winterburn, Dixon, Keown and Adams. That was not a world class defence. It was a very physical no nonsense tight unit. They were good but far from world class.

Just in case you didn’t know Zola, Hasselbank, Cole and York, Ravanelli, used to regularly run rings or man handle them. Shearer learned how to drop off them and find space that they didn’t pick up and make us pay while Asprilla ran rings around LB/Rb. Not to mention Giggs use to make our defense look like water.

Though I take your point that they are better than your current personnel.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Be honest that was not a world class defense. As highly as you may think of Bould, Winterburn, Dixon, Keown and Adams. That was not a world class defence. It was a very physical no nonsense tight unit. They were good but far from world class.

That defence won us three league titles and our last European trophy, it was widely regarded as the best defence in England and one of the best in the world at their peak...if they are not world class, then we have never had a world class defence.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?

I knew exactly why I started to support Arsenal, and it was definitely not 1:0 boring games won from a set piece. I was supporting his philosophy even when we couldn't win things but we've played some great football, often outplaying top sides (home or away, it didn't matter). It wasn't great losing year after year, but you would always have a feeling that the team can play against anyone, that there is a structure and a certain style that so many people around the world loved. The fans wanted Wenger out only when the team didn't play pretty football anymore, and at the same time, it couldn't win anything other than a pointless domestic cup.
It's gonna be a hard sell to offer football from Emery and Arteta to millions of potential supporters world wide, and we're gonna learn that the hard way in the future when we'll need to negotiate some commercial deals.
You're basically making things out by saying that fans wanted Wenger out between 2006-2015, it was only a minority of them, and the big man enjoyed the support from all over the world right until his final few years.
The fans who wanted to see Arsenal winning things at all cost are mostly sick people without any personal achievements who are using football to compensate for their failures. It's entertainment before anything else, and I've definitely enjoyed so many great games under Wenger, both wins and loses

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
He said:
"Three, no matter how many people think otherwise, Wenger is quite literally one of the all time great managers and the greatest in our history."
If you're ageeing with that, you're finally coming to your senses.
All time great managers counting from the other end in English football for sure and the greatest Arsenal manager.....in which post of mine do you see me disagree with that I'm finding it difficult to see here and what is funny I don't know. On your end however you've once again completely ignored and overlooked facts from the arguments with nothing in return.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser

Just in case you didn’t know Zola, Hasselbank, Cole and York, Ravanelli, used to regularly run rings or man handle them. Shearer learned how to drop off them and find space that they didn’t pick up and make us pay while Asprilla ran rings around LB/Rb. Not to mention Giggs use to make our defense look like water.

Though I take your point that they are better than your current personnel.
You're talking about some exceptional players getting the better of them at certain points which happens to all players. It also happens against not that great players too. Doesn't take away from their aptitude and historical status.

Kav

Established Member
That defence won us three league titles and our last European trophy, it was widely regarded as the best defence in England and one of the best in the world at their peak...if they are not world class, then we have never had a world class defence.

Thing is at the time the English premier league between 95-99 was not even in the top 3 leagues in Europe. Serie A was the best league until 2000, La Liga and Bundesliga were ahead at the time as well. So I’m honestly not buying that argument.

Plus my recollection of winterburn, Dixon were not world class players. They were good when Wenger came but they weren’t even regularly featuring for the English national team at the time of his arrival. So I don’t know how you came to that conclusion.

You also failed to mention that the defense that won us our second title was Keown, Lauren, Cole and Campbell with Dixon and Adams as back ups .

While our third title was a very different prospect of Campbell, Toure, Cole, Lauren. The latter two titles under wenger was with defenses that he built not inherited. So no they are two very different defenses.

Kav

Established Member
I knew exactly why I started to support Arsenal, and it was definitely not 1:0 boring games won from a set piece. I was supporting his philosophy even when we couldn't win things but we've played some great football, often outplaying top sides (home or away, it didn't matter). It wasn't great losing year after year, but you would always have a feeling that the team can play against anyone, that there is a structure and a certain style that so many people around the world loved. The fans wanted Wenger out only when the team didn't play pretty football anymore, and at the same time, it couldn't win anything other than a pointless domestic cup.
It's gonna be a hard sell to offer football from Emery and Arteta to millions of potential supporters world wide, and we're gonna learn that the hard way in the future when we'll need to negotiate some commercial deals.
You're basically making things out by saying that fans wanted Wenger out between 2006-2015, it was only a minority of them, and the big man enjoyed the support from all over the world right until his final few years.
The fans who wanted to see Arsenal winning things at all cost are mostly sick people without any personal achievements who are using football to compensate for their failures. It's entertainment before anything else, and I've definitely enjoyed so many great games under Wenger, both wins and loses
But if a stretch there. What I said is exactly what i said. Fans don’t know what they really want and are a fickle bunch. One minute they want to be defensively solid the next they want entertainment. There really is no point in basing your actions on a fickle group.

Last edited:

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Thing is at the time the English premier league between 95-99 was not even in the top 3 leagues in Europe. Serie A was the best league until 2000, La Liga and Bundesliga were ahead at the time as well. So I’m honestly not buying that argument.

Plus my recollection of winterburn, Dixon were not world class players. They were good when Wenger came but they weren’t even regularly featuring for the English national team at the time of his arrival. So I don’t know how you came to that conclusion.

You also failed to mention that the defense that won us our second title was Keown, Lauren, Cole and Campbell with Dixon and Adams as back ups .

While our third title was a very different prospect of Campbell, Toure, Cole, Lauren. The latter two titles under wenger was with defenses that he built not inherited. So no they are two very different defenses.

The three titles I was referring to, were 1989, 1991 and 1998.

Whether they were world class individually, it doesn't matter...as a unit they were world class and played a big part in bringing us big success during their time.

Kav

Established Member
The three titles I was referring to, were 1989, 1991 and 1998.

Whether they were world class individually, it doesn't matter...as a unit they were world class and played a big part in bringing us big success during their time.
The 89 team from what I’ve read and the clips I’ve seen was very good defensively so I will give you that. That was long before I started following Arsenal.

I can’t speak to them being world class though. I just don’t have the knowledge about that time period to contribute to the discussion so I will defer to the others who have more knowledge about this than I do.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Chance creation is still a major worry, but he got his stuff right today. We came to Old trafford to win it and win it we did.

Not at all strange that we looked better when the team decided not to bypass partey.

Arsenal Quotes

Robert Pirès was a fabulous player, world-class, and for a few years, before his injury, he was unquestionably the best left-midfielder in the world by far. He had incredible technique, he was smart, a finisher. He was a killer with a smile, the gentlest man in the world who suddenly drive the ball exactly where it was needed.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom