• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Most Significant Moment of Arsenal's Season

gakc1

Think back to the 67th minute of the premiership game against Bolton on September 18th. Arsenal are 2-1 up, have played seven games so far in the season, and have won all of them. At this moment Gilberto Silva is forced off with a back injury, not to be seen again for the rest of the season. It wasn't unitll we lost him that I think anyone realised just what an important role he played. Suddenly we started conceding a spate of goals form corners and set pieces. Suddenly a chasm developed between our defence and our midfield which countless teams have exploited since. Gilberto is our Makelele and we have missed him like hell, none of our other central midfielders have the discipline to stay back and protect the defence (much as I had hoped it would prove otherwise this is the same for Flamini - like Vieira he excels at the defensive side of the game, but like Vieira he likes to get forward and join the attack).
So, what is the lesson that needs to be learned for next season? We need decent cover for Gilberto. I'm sure some of you will argue that Vieira should take up the role, and have criticised him for not doing so, but I disagree. Vieira excels at being a complete midfielder who plays both a defensive and offensive role, why waste so much of his talent by limiting him to a purely defensive role. I could imagine in a few years time when his legs start to go that this is the role he will play and Cesc will take up the more offensive role, but not yet. We don't need to (and probably couldn't afford to) spend ten millions pounds on bringing in a big name defensive midfielder to do the role (say Essien or Costinha), next year Gilberto will be back, will be first choice for the role, and will continue to do it extremely well. The player we need is a new Gilles Grimandi, a player who, like gilberto, was much maligned for his lack of offensive ability, but, who cost very little money and could be trusted to protect the defence in that defensive midfield role when Petit was out. Do I know who this player is? No idea, I don't watch nearly enough football, my consumption being pretty much limited to the premiership, but there's a wiley French manager I know of who spends all of his spare time watching football and who I bet would know a player who could do the job - I just hope he's concluded that we need such a player.

Sammer

Established Member
gakc1,

interesting post, but look at how many games Gilberto played last season.

It´s definately the midfield weakness , that cost us games this season, but my personal feeling is, that it is both: the absence of Gilberto, but even more: the dip in form of Patrick Vieira.

Henry IV

Vieira hasn't been himself this season and the absence of Gilberto has highlighted the weakness in midfield.

Mark

Established Member
Gilberto does protect the defence and provide a bit of organisation at set pieces, but the fact remains that we need a world class GK. We wouldn't depend so much on Gilberto if we did.

singooner

i may be wrong but my impression is that vieira is playing a more attacking midfield role this season. not sure if it's because he's trying to be the next zidane or if being told he's not a galactico cos i assume he's too defensive and not a playmaker/goal scorer, he's trying to prove madrid wrong.

i also need sleep having had only 3 hours in the last 48 so whatever.

anyway that coupled with gilberto's absence hurt our defence.

Gurgen

Established Member
It's not one thing.

We need a GK, a CB, a DM and the most important thing of all, bottle. Oh I forgot these players should all be of TOP quality.

AFCG7

Established Member
We needed a GK , a CB and a DM Urgently since Last SUMMER.And we needed a goalscorer to help Henry
We got Almunia,Flamini and no CB.And we got RVP..
With all due respect those were not good enough and we should hardly be surprised at our performance this season.
RVP and Flamini i am sure will come good at some later date.. but they couldnt expect to solve our imminent problems for this season.
SO its about Acceptance..we probably wont win anything this year..but we must try to finsih second at least.

burnsjed

Established Member
Not another bloody "If only Gilberto was playing we would be 10 points clear thread"

How many more of these are there goign to be.

We have no idea of how we would have played with him, and as I keep saying there have been plenty of other reasons for our loss in form, which I can't be bothered to write again.

Can't we just stick to the original thread, and stop these nonsical threads.

I really don'ty understand why these are not locked the minute they are started

Canuck

Established Member
^ :lol:

I'd have to agree with those who think that losing one player should not be the dramatic catalyst for a team's downfall. It's an easy excuse for the manager and the fans. ManUre lost Rio and went sh**e last season...bollocks their MF was crap and their strikers couldn't score, that was the reason. We lose Gil, and don't get me wrong, I love him and knew how important he was before he was out, but our backline and MF are **** at the moment. Our forwards aren't taking their chances. Honestly I think that yesterday was the significant moment in our season. It showed just how weak we are right now. No cohesion, no determination, no heart...Wenger has conceded the title and I would have to agree with him. We're aiming for a 2nd place finish now and it breaks my heart to admit it in February.

Arsenal Quotes

We don't sign superstars, we make them.

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Saturday, May 18

Arsenal‘s interest in Ivan Toney has waned. It is unlikely he will join this summer and neither will Alexander Isak, with the club no longer interested at his £120m price [John Cross - The Mirror]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom