• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomb Bombadil

The unexpected progression of some young players - notably Martinelli and Saka - is helping to camouflage Pepe's relative ineffectiveness.

Too soon to give up on him but he needs to get into dangerous positions and then do his tricks there. I think he is too predictable going down the right and cutting inside. It would be better to see how he fares down the centre or on the left.
And these guys working really hard. I think it's better no with Pepe but in the begining he was just too lazy. But next game I would put him on the bench. Martinelli is now clearly in front of him.

He can become good but I think he needs a lot of coaching. But £80m for this guy when we had much bigger Issues at CB and DM. What were these guys smoking.

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐
Reminds me of Kanu in that he is somehow able to wriggle out of the tightest corners. At one stage last night he was surrounded by three Bournmouth players, turned them inside out and burst forward before slamming it into the side netting. You see that and think we're onto something here... and then for next ten minutes he will give the ball away carelessly or run too far without releasing it.

Still only been half a season with us though tbf. And it wasn't as if he arrived into a settled environment where he could easily find his feet and focus on his own game. He arrived into chaos.

Last edited:

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Reminds me of Kanu in that he is somehow able to wriggle out of the tightest corners. At one stage last night he was surrounded by three Bournmouth players, turned them inside out and burst forward before slamming it into the side netting. You see that and think we're onto something here... and then for next ten minutes he will give the ball away carelessly or run too far without releasing it.

Still only been half a season with us though tbf. And it wasn't as if he arrived i to a settled environment here he could easily find his feet and focus on his own game. He arrived into chaos.
That's precisely it. He has great skill but he doesn't always use it to the best effect. He needs to have it drummed into him that his mission is to get the ball goalwards as quickly as possible.

lazyfreak

He arrived into chaos.
A number of our players "arrived into chaos", yet they don't look so out of place as Pepe does.

Pepe right now reminds me of a 17 year old Walcott. Would do something that would come off as brilliant but then have a spell of looking technically inept.

darkgunner

Feels like he is one of those players with good skills but plays without a brain. Hopefully he turns this around before it's too late.

Kysus

To overload the left side. Arteta kinda confirmed it in his post match interview when asked about Saka and Martilleni.

Xhaka slots into lb when Saka bombs forward and joins the attack. Pepe starts deeper cause of this for balance.

People harp on about 75mil, but in this market it’s not that much?
80 mil upfront would have got us Zaha who has a very similar output, or Harry Macquire in defence - this is just the market atm.

Id like us to sell him, cause I actually don’t know an Arsenal fan who hasn’t moaned about this guy and I rue that we actually went out there and spent. It’s been nothing but complaints he’s only just got here. It doesn’t suit us and people have unrealistic expectations.

I actually think Pepe is a monster to be unleashed we just need to get him involved closer to goal(like at Lille) and fine-tune some of his edges. Defenders are ****ting their pants whenever he is close to the box, right now we make it too comfortable for teams in the final third. Pepe so deep and surrounded by a million bodies is exactly what our opponents want.

Pepe already is much much improved off the ball(when the opponent has it) and also with his decision making deep(releasing it quicker)

With Arteta as coach and that amount of talent it is just a matter of time until Pepe becomes unplayable imo

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

A number of our players "arrived into chaos", yet they don't look so out of place as Pepe does.

Pepe right now reminds me of a 17 year old Walcott. Would do something that would come off as brilliant but then have a spell of looking technically inept.
He looks nothing like Walcott what are you even talking about

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

That’s down to him. He’s dropping too deep to get it into feet because he wants to involve himself in the build up, when he should be looking to run the channels with his pace and get onto through balls.
It’s not.

He’s revealed in an interview how he’s spoken extensively with Arteta regarding his positioning. You have to assume that it’s all by design otherwise he would be benched for continually ignoring instructions.

Our attack is biased towards the left side due to Auba cutting in and Kola/Saka overlapping. That’s definitely by design so you need your other winger to aid in possession and build up.

WiscoGooner8

It’s not.

He’s revealed in an interview how he’s spoken extensively with Arteta regarding his positioning. You have to assume that it’s all by design otherwise he would be benched for continually ignoring instructions.

Our attack is biased towards the left side due to Auba cutting in and Kola/Saka overlapping. That’s definitely by design so you need your other winger to aid in possession and build up.

I would try putting him on the left or even center for a game or two to see how he does. I don’t think he has to be on the right. He just lacks killer instinct at the moment and directness. Hopefully Arteta can get it

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I would try putting him on the left or even center for a game or two to see how he does. I don’t think he has to be on the right. He just lacks killer instinct at the moment and directness. Hopefully Arteta can get it
We shall see.

At the end of the day none of us know what is going on. It makes sense to prioritise getting Auba into goalscoring positions at the expense of Pepe. Xhaka being a left footed more defensive player also plays perfectly into how we attack mainly down the left side.

Pepe's drawn the short straw for now but on the plus side it means he can bed in nicely. Arteta will at some point surely start to try and get him into goal scoring positions, just not right now it seems. Would be intersted to see him (and Nelson) in Özil's role for a couple of games as well.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Next season he’s off to Africa in December and probably not back until Feb. That’s his second season hindered.

I’ll take my money back if it was offered now. You shouldn’t have to put in this much work and wait over 12 months for an 80M player to contribute.

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐

I dunno man.

Who?

Martinelli aside (the exception to every rule), which joining in last two years has hit the ground running?

Torreira before Emery messed with his positioning?

Guendouzi? I'll give you he started well but seemed to lose his head after a few months. Unsurprising given the apparent dressing room atmosphere under Emery

Auba? I genuinely think Auba doesn't really give a **** about what goes on around him. Seems like he is lost in his own little world and just wants to get on with banging them in and having a good time (obviously I'm jealous as hell)

From memory Leno took a while to settle.

Not many players would thrive after being thrown into a dressingroom where players openly had little to no respect for their manager and the relationship between fans and players was at an all time low.

He's only been here 6 months. Writing him off would be insane.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
It’s not.

I understand what you're referring to G. Arteta did precisely what you're talking about in the second half by bringing on Ceballos for Pepe and moving Willock to the right.

At City when they do that, they use Bernardo or KDB and Pepe's closer in style to Mahrez than KDB and Bernardo who are obviously playmakers. Willock suggested he wants him to develop into an attack minded playmaker so it makes sense.

I mean, tactics are undoubtedly a factor also I just think the biggest is he's still physically adjusting to the speed and intensity here and learning the movements of his teammates - he doesn't yet have the confidence to go direct at opponents.

A few more goals and we'll see a different player.

lazyfreak

I dunno man.

Who?

Martinelli aside (the exception to every rule), which joining in last two years has hit the ground running?

Torreira before Emery messed with his positioning?

Guendouzi? I'll give you he started well but seemed to lose his head after a few months. Unsurprising given the apparent dressing room atmosphere under Emery

Auba? I genuinely think Auba doesn't really give a **** about what goes on around him. Seems like he is lost in his own little world and just wants to get on with banging them in and having a good time (obviously I'm jealous as hell)

From memory Leno took a while to settle.

Not many players would thrive after being thrown into a dressingroom where players openly had little to no respect for their manager and the relationship between fans and players was at an all time low.

He's only been here 6 months. Writing him off would be insane.
Lets just put it this way, which is in relation to my comment about him reminding me of a 17 year old Walcott... regardless of what the situation is with the manager, and especially for 72m, surely even after "only" six months, you've got to be showing more adeptness than he has so far.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Next season he’s off to Africa in December and probably not back until Feb. That’s his second season hindered.

I’ll take my money back if it was offered now. You shouldn’t have to put in this much work and wait over 12 months for an 80M player to contribute.

I doubt anyone would take him off us now, unless at a significant lower price.

Hopefully Arteta can get the best out of him.

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐
Lets just put it this way, which is in relation to my comment about him reminding me of a 17 year old Walcott... regardless of what the situation is with the manager, and especially for 72m, surely even after "only" six months, you've got to be showing more adeptness than he has so far.

3 goals and 3 assists in 14 starts ( while being double teamed regularly and getting kicked to pieces at times)

He could- and needs to - do better but you're over exaggerating. What do you expect from a 24 year old switching leagues and cultures and joining what was a **** show for the first six months.

God knows what would have been posted about Pires when he joined :D got 4 goals and 7 assists in 33 games during his first season with us.

This idea that young players can switch leagues and jump in and be consistently amazing from day 1 is batshit mental. Haaland and Martinelli are exceptions, not the rule

Last edited:

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
This idea that young players can switch leagues and jump in and be consistently amazing from day 1 is batshit mental. Haaland and Martinelli are exceptions, not the rule

I remember the links to Soyuncu and people on here were not too fussed about him, then everyone laughed when he had a difficult first season at Leicester, now that he's settled in in his second season people want him again.

I saw him inthe Bundesliga and it was clear he is a talented lad but just a young player, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom