• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDeep™

League is very weak
People like Teemu Pukki and Chris Wood have scored more than Lacazette in the league. Sometimes you have to look beyond the numbers for the full story.

Look at yesterday, Zaha was probably the best player on the pitch vs Utd, should’ve had a penalty and a few assists.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
People like Teemu Pukki and Chris Wood have scored more than Lacazette in the league. Sometimes you have to look beyond the numbers for the full story.

Look at yesterday, Zaha was probably the best player on the pitch vs Utd, should’ve had a penalty and a few assists.
Weren’t you saying it wasn’t a penalty during the game?

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
Look at Wilf going at players. It's ridiculous how he's putting them on their asses so effortlessly.
I get dizzy watching these clips, so the players dealing with him must have a nightmare. In a more tactical setup, where he might have to wait a bit for the striker to get in the box, he can toy with a defender for a few seconds before passing.

Now, look at Pepe when he's taking his man on. It's not the same level of skill. He's all over the place and nowhere near as efficient.
He's getting lost in his own dribbles, ffs.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Easily our best player and miles in front of Zaha who knows this league inside and out.

Couldn’t be a worse time for him to join this club but he’s done great so far, I love watching him play ball.

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
Nico Pepe,e Lucas Torreira, Kieran Tierney , Bukayo Saka, Bernd Leno. These are the players on our books with elite potential imo, and vital that we keep if we want to progress as a club.

Sammy1887

New Year, Same Hate For Reed
Too expensive. 50/60M plus. Arteta is already crying about finances.

Nobody would be paying that amount for somebody who is 29 and scored just 4 goals this season. For the amount of ball share he gets at CP his stats are extremely poor.

GDeep™

League is very weak
I think last season was his time to move. At 28 soon, i can’t see top clubs breaking the bank for Zaha now.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
I think last season was his time to move. At 28 soon, i can’t see top clubs breaking the bank for Zaha now.
We're not a top club and the prices have gone down since covid started, so 40 ish mil for him would do the trick.
Pepe is easily annihilated by defenses whereas Wilf always remains a thorn in their side and if we can invest in better creative midfielders, we'll be a real threat going forward.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Yeah its a shame. 1 year less on his contract though, I hope he gets a champions league team this summer.

Ideal world I would have both Zaha and Pepe on both Flanks with Auba in the middle (or Laca).

Gunners1616

Lazy argument.
Zaha plays for a rubbish team with some rubbish attackers that barely convert their chances.

That's hardly an excuse for scoring only 4 goals in 36 games. Never scored more than 10 goals in his career. He also has a bad shot accuracy and more big chances missed than Pepe for example. He is clearly often a problem for defenders but his productivity doesn't justify his huge price tag.

Not saying Zaha is bad or Pepe is better (yet) but the gap is not big between the 2 right now already. Then if you take into account that Zaha has been in the league as a starter for over 5/6 years whereas Pepe is still adapting, it's just not a fair comparison.

Let Pepe have a second season and then let's talk again.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
That's hardly an excuse for scoring only 4 goals in 36 games.
Anyone can have an off season. Aside from his stint at Manure, he always played for Palace, which isn't a team one associates with offensive football.
Aside from that, he really wanted to leave last summer and you could tell in the beginning of the season that he was really bummed about it.
Then if you take into account that Zaha has been in the league as a starter for over 5/6 years whereas Pepe is still adapting, it's just not a fair comparison.
Pepe went through 3 different coaches this year and none of them managed to get much out of him.
His attitude in general doesn't seem to be up to snuff. I don't see that grit in him.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Personally would still be absolutely for signing Zaha, if there's a way for it and by that I mean enough money to get Partey, a CB and maybe another talent for midfield first.

I know it's a hard task to do this financially, but it is still up in the air right now, probably, as to what the Kroenke's are going to provide.

Maybe they are intrigued by Arteta and what he could do with a bit of cash ?

For all I know, a Zaha that gets his dream move to us, will see him reach a form beyond his current best. Unplayable at times and will create so many dangerous situations for us that allow for tap-ins.

Think we'd save 30-40m of the old price by now - something around 40-50m.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
Look at Wilf going at players. It's ridiculous how he's putting them on their asses so effortlessly.
I get dizzy watching these clips, so the players dealing with him must have a nightmare. In a more tactical setup, where he might have to wait a bit for the striker to get in the box, he can toy with a defender for a few seconds before passing.

Now, look at Pepe when he's taking his man on. It's not the same level of skill. He's all over the place and nowhere near as efficient.
He's getting lost in his own dribbles, ffs.

Like I think half the reason that Pepe annoys me so much is I know the alternative was Zaha. So even subconsciously I'm making a comparison.

The way I feel about the difference in dribbling for the 2 is that Pepe is trying to force the defender to make a mistake, when he is 1 on 1 he looks like he already has his mind made up what the next 2-3 dribbles he is going to do are, he then has to try and alter that because the defender doesn't do what he expects him to do and he loses the ball. He also waits for the defender to commit themselves in the first place and this results in him dawdling on the ball and slowing the attack. He also looks like he thinks a successful dribble is the end or its own success, hes not sure what to do afterwards, but his main concern is performing a successful dribble and he ends up ignoring his teammates as in his head at that time the dribble is the best thing to do nearly always.

Zaha appears to be a lot more pro-active with his dribbling in that it is a means to an end but the attack is the all encompassing priority. I also think he is far quicker not only with his feet but in the way he manages to move the ball no matter his body type. He also is very pro-active in his dribbling, he wont wait for the defender to commit himself like Pepe does, he will either go past the defender or cause the defender to commit himself, generally if the defender doesn't commit himself Zaha will go past him.

People who are bringing up Zaha this season and his stats, don't forget he doesn't want to even be at Palace this year, he had a motivation to play well against utd so its no shocker he turned in a performance there either.

In fantasy land you go and get Zaha and Grealish and watch every team pick up yellow after yellow as they cannot put pressure on them without fouling them. And in this fantasy land Pepe will be able to play in and around the box because those 2 can dribble through the 2-3 players needed to give him his space like Walcott used to get when Cazorla was here.

Edit: sorry for block of text

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
This season is a write off so he'll get a pass hit he's been disappointing despite his stats. The flashes of brilliance are quite rare over a season and Saka has given me more of a buzz. Next season is make or break but the lad needs to be more assertive.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Zaha or Pepe we went into the season with what looked liked no real plan around width.

One senior 72m wide player :lol:... like **** we knew Saka would be this good so soon or Auba as productive outwide. It was clear as day how our main ST was moved between central / right / left up until Christmas.

Still think Pepe will be a big player here... maybe up top if Auba jumps ship. Outwide think he ghosts a bit too much for Arteta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom