• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: The Nutmeg Express!

What would you do with Pepe?

• Keep him for the foreseeable future

• Give him one more season to prove himself

• Sell if you can get a significant fee, keep otherwise

• Sell at any price

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GDeep™

League is very weak
I’m sure a lot of people on here wanted Zaha initially but as soon as we got priced out then they accepted Pepe.

Spending 72m on Pepe is a crime just like signing Mustafi for 35m was too.
We’re saying this in hindsight though. Don’t think you were here, but when we signed Mustafi other than me and a few others, this forum loved the signing. A German WC winner, experienced, from a top Spanish club etc.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

We’re saying this in hindsight though. Don’t think you were here, but when we signed Mustafi other than me and a few others, this forum loved the signing. A German WC winner, experienced, from a top Spanish club etc.

That sounds exactly like last summer when we signed “Chelsea’s best player last season” and the majority were saying he’ll hit the ground running because he has PL experience.

:lol:

GDeep™

League is very weak
Which club will want to sign a player who will have 3 months off mid season to play prepare and play in the African Nations.

Kolo was always sick and knackered after the African nations, his whole season would get ruined.

Manberg

Predator
He's not terrible. My posts make it sound like he is but he's not, there's a decent footballer in there somewhere. On the whole; since he's been here he's not been good enough. And despite moments in games where he does well and can score or assist, for most of those games he still makes many turnovers and individual mistakes in possession. I'm not suddenly criticising him because he got sent off.

He's not suited to us and unfortunately it has been a waste of a lot of money, of which as much as possible needs to be recuperated.

Reactions: Kav

Kav

Established Member
AFCAN is moving to the summer soon so it shouldn't be an issue. I still think that there is a quality player in there somewhere. However if we can get back 50M for him I say we take it and go buy Saint Maximin.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
AFCAN is moving to the summer soon so it shouldn't be an issue. I still think that there is a quality player in there somewhere. However if we can get back 50M for him I say we take it and go buy Saint Maximin.
30m is looking like a stretch at the moment.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

I've liked Pepe & his playing style but I'm a bit annoyed with him now. That was his chance to cement a spot for a while in the starting 11 for the PL & has to do that & let the team down. I wouldn't have been surprised if he had stayed on that we would have found a win in there somewhere.

On the other hand, does Alioksi really have to do that, the players are paid to play football, they are professional footballers, not paid to act & go down in agony like that over a soft headbutt.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
All this talk about selling him, no chance.

I cant imagine the club will be selling him cheap nor can I imagine hes taking a pay cut to leave.

Do you even loan out a player you paid 72mil for? So far its been a disaster signing and I'm in the camp who actually looks forwards to watching him play (usually disappointed) as he offers some kind of unknown magic.

Reactions: roz

sammy89

People wanted this though? Move away from a manager and get a DoF who runs the club. Raul went against the manager and signed the big exciting player Arsenal fans have been crying about for years.

That's the scary bit. We're sinking into midtable obscurity despite splashing the cash every season for about 7 years straight (except that one season where we should have splashed :(). Might be the proverbial quicksand.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
That sounds exactly like last summer when we signed “Chelsea’s best player last season” and the majority were saying he’ll hit the ground running because he has PL experience.

:lol:
He ran for a little bit but then the team – particularly the attack—regressed steadily. But of course any agenda against Willian will be wheeled out irrespectively.

That’s the great thing about this place—you can have it both ways; can say the manager is promoting **** on a stick football and the attack is suffering as a result, and then you can go into certain player threads – particularly attackers – and muller them. It’s like posting with two different accounts but you are really posting with one!

Pepe hasn’t convinced yet apart from in France. That’s his and our problem.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
On the other hand, does Alioksi really have to do that, the players are paid to play football, they are professional footballers, not paid to act & go down in agony like that over a soft headbutt.
Without ignoring the fact that Pepe was simply an idiot, Alioksi somehow killed all the joy of football in me, together with all the football rules. Pepe barely touched him, the guy falls on the floor like he was shoot and cries there like a little girl.
Basically, the same thing happened with Martial and Lamela, it killed the game in the same way, and I just feel disgusted by all of it.
Current football rules are awarding c*nts like Lamela and Alioksi and their disgusting theatrics, it teaches the young players to do the same in the future.

Garry Neville was another one that made me feel sick, while he was all defensive on Martial (which I agreed with him), he approved Pepe's red even before it was given for basically the same thing.

I wasn't even angry at Pepe at that moment (although I was disappointed), I just felt nothing for football as a whole, which is something new for me. That red card represents the current state of football. Definitely a good time to take a break and enjoy some other hobbies

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Okay. When I first heard about Pepe and our interest in him I watched him a lot at Lille. I had reservations about him, mainly due to his finishing as I felt he hadn't shown shooting ability, and also the amount that he messed about on the ball.

Since he has played for us, his shooting cannot be questioned. He still messes about on the ball, but I am not giving up on him.

I don't think we have treated him well at all. I don't think we have used him correctly. I think we overpaid for him, he went through multiple managers and when it came down to it we brought in a 32 year old player in his position who simply has done his job, but has been backed to the hill.

Pepe needs to be happy to play well, he needs to feel important and the main argument I am seeing is that well he has moaned about not playing, and when he gets his chance he blows it.

Well is that a surprise? Nobody listened to what he said in his interview. People simply want him to fail for whatever reason. He said he needs to be happy, he said he needs to be more consistent and then he says that after he trains hard he finds out he is on the bench. He has played well and been benched. He wasn't effecting the game as he should and in his mind he probably thought he was going to be benched the following game. So it's a psychological state of arousal. You either try too hard and nothing comes off, or you do something stupid and bail out.

He is not the first Arsenal player to do this. He is not the first football player to do this. As stupid as it is, there should definitely be a way back for him. Ffs Son does it all the time. Martial did it a few weeks ago. Players do stupid things, but there is always a deeper reason for why it comes about.

Arteta can either exile him like he has done with Özil, Guendouzi and Torreira. Or he can throw him back in on Thursday, and use it as a tool to get him back.

IF Arteta punishes him by not including him in the squad. Or he even puts him on the bench. I am fully Arteta out. As the inconsistencies in his discipline would have gone to Emery level.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
All this talk about selling him, no chance.

I cant imagine the club will be selling him cheap nor can I imagine hes taking a pay cut to leave.

Do you even loan out a player you paid 72mil for? So far its been a disaster signing and I'm in the camp who actually looks forwards to watching him play (usually disappointed) as he offers some kind of unknown magic.

A £130m player was loaned out last season to Bayern. I actually don’t think it’s a bad idea. He needs to rebuild confidence and his reputation. Half a good season at somewhere like Roma and I guarantee Juventus will be willing to pay 80% of the fee we paid. Plus we get an unhappy high earner off the wage bill.

He just can’t cope with the physical aspects of this league.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
A £130m player was loaned out last season to Bayern. I actually don’t think it’s a bad idea. He needs to rebuild confidence and his reputation. Half a good season at somewhere like Roma and I guarantee Juventus will be willing to pay 80% of the fee we paid. Plus we get an unhappy high earner off the wage bill.

He just can’t cope with the physical aspects of this league.

I agree to some extent, its just a bit rare especially for a club like ours, Barca had replacements in place we have Nelson and Willian.

I hope your guarantee is correct, personally I cannot see it, I think we will struggle to sell at a decent price, I'm hoping he can somehow make his way back into the eleven and kick on.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Not enough goals from open play concerned me. It still concerns me.

He doesn't look any bigger than when he joined either.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
IF Arteta punishes him by not including him in the squad. Or he even puts him on the bench. I am fully Arteta out. As the inconsistencies in his discipline would have gone to Emery level.

? He’s been on an off the bench all season. It’s extremely likely he would be riding the bench at some point soon. Red card aside, he hardly set the world on fire in the game. Saka came on and looked 5x better. Sounds to me like you are already Arteta out and just dont want to say it :rofl:

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
My patience is starting to waver on Pepe. Which for me to say is quite a big deal. His stupidity has cost him a starting spot for the next 4 or 5 games if we're thinking about it logically. He's pretty much ruined his chances of coming good this year.

I thought he was having quite a decent game up until that point and looking dangerous. Its such a shame but I'm hoping Nelson gets his opportunity. Nelson is excellent at beating players, desperate in the final third but that first part is what we need right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom