• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: The Nutmeg Express!

What would you do with Pepe?

• Keep him for the foreseeable future

• Give him one more season to prove himself

• Sell if you can get a significant fee, keep otherwise

• Sell at any price

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

He was fine last season the transfer fee just kinda f*cked him. As far as wingers go, he done his thing - people who complained, just tend to complain.

What I will say is though, if a 30+ year old free forward actually takes him out of the team, then I will concede he is a waste of money and our scouting network getting the boot was the correct decision.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
He was fine last season the transfer fee just kinda f*cked him. As far as wingers go, he done his thing - people who complained, just tend to complain.

What I will say is though, if a 30+ year old free forward actually takes him out of the team, then I will concede he is a waste of money and our scouting network getting the boot was the correct decision.
An 18 year old who mainly plays as a left winger has pretty much already done this.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

An 18 year old who mainly plays as a left winger has pretty much already done this.
Saka Or Martinelli?

They kinda upstaged him for sure, I don’t know if they took him out like Willian can potentially.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Pepe clearly needs to up his performance this season. He clearly has a good end product in the form of a good shot with his left foot and can deliver passes on a plate but too often he slows things down and doesn't seem sure what to do and then he too often just stops and kills a move.

I also think we really over spent on him given how much he still has to improve to be an every week starter. But hopefully he can prove that a wrong conclusion and have a stellar season, but I doubt it.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
He's a match winner and can produce a moment of brilliance, but a player with his inconsistent ball control when dribbling or receiving is going to be an issue in the way we are going to play under arteta.

Can see him being shipped out next season. Seems like William is our no.1 right winger considering we have auba on the left it's a straight fight between Saka and Pepe. Saka is a world class talent decision making in th final 3rd Pepe could only dream off.

Going to be a tough season for Pepe. Hope he proves me wrong.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I think Pepe should be hoping we fix our midfield as much as anyone else. He isn't working as a balancing winger in our lopsided attacks (going through Auba on the left). Willian as a wide midfielder does the job better.

If we were to have a functional midfield we could play through the middle and Pepe would no longer get double/tripled up on. Last season the guy was used as a pawn on the pitch.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Saka. Arteta has picked him ahead of Pepe more often than not.
Don’t know about that one, apart from a couple of prem matches pre/post lockdown I actually don’t recall that happening that often. Reiss Nelson took his place a couple times but that was it.

FA cup semi and finals - Pepe got the nod. Saka didn’t even figure.

Last edited:

GDeep™

League is very weak
I thought this would be the season where we grow and develop him in the team, play him regularly, and find himself, his role, his rhythm etc, if that makes.

I hope it’s not a season where he’s not in the team, and then he’s in and out because he’s not impressing, that’s flop territory.

Basically I think he needs a few months in the team, no matter his performances. Not sure being in and out will allow him to find his groove.

lufere7

Player:Martinelli
Would love to see that Auba routine being done with Pepe on the right.

We've seen how good of a shot he has when he cuts in and if we played Willian at AM we could just as easily overload that side with him and Bellerin.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

:lol: it’s not realistic at all, especially with the amount of chances we create.

It’s not happening anyways, now that Willian is here and looking good.

It’s quickly looking like another stop and start season for Pepe as he’s probably gonna be in and out the side.

Don’t think Arteta truly fancies him and I could be jumping the gun, but the team looks so much more natural with Willian in it. He just gets the league.
They'll probably have periods of keeping each other out of the side because from what I've heard from Chelsea fans Willian can be frustrating. There also isn't anything Willian did against Fulham that I would say Pepe couldn't do and there were some moments where Willian had 1v1s in the box which would be almost a guaranteed shot on target for my boy.

I think/hope Arteta will identify games where Pepe's skillset will be more useful even if it doesn't make us as fluid. Maybe that's where Aouar comes in.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Saka. Arteta has picked him ahead of Pepe more often than not.
No he hasn't? Our FA cup semi-final and final were our two biggest games of the season. The line-up Arteta picked there are the 11 players he rates the highest.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

They'll probably have periods of keeping each other out of the side because from what I've heard from Chelsea fans Willian can be frustrating. There also isn't anything Willian did against Fulham that I would say Pepe couldn't do and there were some moments where Willian had 1v1s in the box which would be almost a guaranteed shot on target for my boy.

I think/hope Arteta will identify games where Pepe's skillset will be more useful even if it doesn't make us as fluid. Maybe that's where Aouar comes in.

What I noticed about Willian more than Pepe is how simple Willian kept it when he needed to, just looked a lot more tidy and it's something I hope Pepe can learn. I think Mahrez game has changed a lot under Pep since he joined, similar to Pepe.

Also Willian seemed to drift in a lot around the 10 position, with talk of Aouar usually picking up space on the left hand side of midfield you wonder if he could be that Bernado Silva player, playmaking winger.

Aouar Auba Pepe
Willian​
Xhaka Ceballos

Problem is I think it looks a bit weak defensively, but on the ball it would be so tidy. Feel Partey instead of Ceballo/Xhaka would make that so much more tasty.

Anyway I'm just shooting the **** at work, it's Friday.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

I’d rather Pepe played his way into adaptation- the stop start stuff will never work. Hopefully we won’t be rotating our wingers ala City - whoever gets the nod should stay.

You don’t spend 70m on a rotation option that money could have been spent elsewhere - but this is not Arteta’s or Emery’s problem they didn’t sign him so they are less inclined to make him work.

The reason why Pepe should be concerned is for what Willian lacks in flair and being able to beat his man 1v1, he makes up for in industry and just all round nous. I feel like Arteta values this more rather than the moments of brilliance Pepe shows.

It’s been years since I’ve seen an attacking player at Arsenal take a game by the scruff of the neck like Willian did against Fulham.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I’d rather Pepe played his way into adaptation- the stop start stuff will never work. Hopefully we won’t be rotating our wingers ala City - whoever gets the nod should stay.

But this season will be especially tough. Rotation is a must, and it's good we have great depth basically in all areas except midfield, and that will be fixed.

Rotating early on, our players will be much fresher for the end of the season. Not changing everything every game, but a good amount of it is needed still.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Yeah admittedly sticking with one guy is just my preference as an armchair manager- I’m sure Arteta has that handled.

We shall see. I’m kinda wondering where Saka gets in too.

Manberg

Predator
Arteta wants Pepe to play more centrally and that’s not Pepe’s natural game. Pepe’s having to be coached to adapt his game and that takes time.

I do not think Arteta would’ve signed Pepe.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
@Macho @Trilly
He was in and out of the team until we reached the finals in the cup under Arteta pretty much. Saka had started ahead of him less than I thought after checking the numbers but it’s still a considerable amount (7/19 matches on the bench) if you include other youngsters.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

@Macho @Trilly
He was in and out of the team until we reached the finals in the cup under Arteta pretty much. Saka had started ahead of him less than I thought after checking the numbers but it’s still a considerable amount (7/19 matches on the bench) if you include other youngsters.
31 appearances and 9 of them being subs isn’t really what I would call being kept out the side tbh I dunno what to tell you. I agree with being in and out - particularly under Emery. A bit of rotation under Arteta but kept out by 18 year olds simply wasn’t the case.

Kolasinac or Torreira are better examples of players being kept out the side by others performances. Kolasinac was more of a direct victim of both Saka and Tierney’s performances than Pepe.

Saka and Martilleni who perhaps had better overall seasons mostly figured on the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom