• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Our Inability to Develop Players

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Lol.

I'd rather have Ramsey half injured than the waste of space Willock. Just because he scored into an open goal ffs

He's a kid and he's got 8 goals this year from midfield, including one from 35 yards. He's raw and learning, but he has a goal threat not replicated anywhere else in this midfield, and is still young enough to impove.

I love Rambo, and have done since I saw him for Cardiff reserves at 16, but his hamstrings are knackered, and we simply couldn't afford to meet his wage demands for his plethora of missed games every year. We already have Mesut for that

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
He's a kid and he's got 8 goals this year from midfield, including one from 35 yards. He's raw and learning, but he has a goal threat not replicated anywhere else in this midfield, and is still young enough to impove.

I love Rambo, and have done since I saw him for Cardiff reserves at 16, but his hamstrings are knackered, and we simply couldn't afford to meet his wage demands for his plethora of missed games every year. We already have Mesut for that
Let em hate, they'll be proven wrong.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
I appreciate the long posts and insightful comments here.

They make me wonder why a billion dollar organization can't get a proper coaching system/staff in place. How come our coaches, fitness experts (given the woeful injury record over the last decade) etc. are not up to scratch. I've been hearing about Steve Bould organizing our defense for years now. I don't know about you but I haven't noticed his influence one bit. Anyone with thoughts on that?

It just baffles me if I compare it to how organizations are run in the NBA and NFL for example. Very professional, very scientific. It seems partly something typical of football in general (perhaps a byproduct of football's fetish of using former players in key positions, I've never understood that. Sure they are good footballers, but most are barely educated and definitely have no experience running an organization).

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
The culture needs to change.

Our leaders are Auba and Laca, two players when you watch training videos you always seem them goofing and messing around. Özil who barely shows up anymore. Defenders that make mistake every game. Leaders in defense that make mistakes, give constantly away penalties, get red cards, and then get a new contract.

It's just telling. Players don't have to fear anything. They have the weapons, they just threaten to run their contracts down. It has created this laid back culture where you don't see maximum effort anymore.

It was a perfect opportunity to make an example of Luiz. Someone nobody at Arsenal should care about. After the City game we should have been "now this is how you gonna play", well then goodbye. But instead, we gave him a new contract.

I fear that there are a lot of bad things left to happen before we start moving on and change the culture. Arteta has been all words about this so far but the actions are not convincing me.

Nail on the head.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Phew, this thread is a tough one as it reminds us all of "what could've been" or rather "what should've been".

I think there's no denying that we did numerous things wrong over the past decade and some of them have already been highlighted by others on here - what sticks out:
  • Inability to cut ties with players that have not used their second, third,.. chances
  • Due to the above, a horrifying profit for those players since we sold them at their worst
  • Crazy contract policies
  • Old establishments in the youth sides in an area of the game that is constantly evolving
  • A bloated squad
  • Going for too many backup solutions

Looking at the thread you might say that some of them are well and true, but might not exactly match the thread, but if you look again, most actually do.

Not selling our "big" players again, after realizing that they either might not be good enough or just simply not fit in the team's overall balance, not only kept us from getting way more money, but blocked us from giving our youngsters a chance that were way more promising than those average guys getting those 10-20 min patches when the first team was exhausted.

In many cases, those average squad fillers actually got treated like young kids with unlimited potential, getting chance after chance after chance whilst I felt whenever a youngster had a game and did not do wonders, he was pushed back to the reserves for months.

If you'd give credit to Emery for one thing, it would probably be that he changed that again and many of the kids we are seeing now more and less got their first appearance with him.

It's certainly one of the most depressing topics you could talk about, as we, at some point, where we were actually set up to dominate, started off with too much youth and then switched to not doing so at all whilst buying average players blocking the road for them and letting our best players run down contracts, selling them under market value.

For all it's worth, I still try to "zoom out" again and again when I feel like getting caught looking at things to one-sided.

There is certainly an incredible lack of fortunes that let to our degress as well !

Would we've done differently, if just one of Diaby, Ramsey, Wilshere, Cazorla, Rosicky wasn't constantly injured at the worst possible moment in time being close to win things.

Would Gnabry still be here tearing it up for us, if he would not have gotten that 1 year lay off after bursting onto the scene scoring for us ?

Wasn't Zelalem and many other potentially talented kids injured every 4-5 months or so when they started showing signs of promise ?

And in the bigger scheme of things, would we've done completely different, if we'd have the money aka allowed to spend the money to get Hazard and the likes when Wenger would've needed them to reach the next level ?

At the same point where we went for the backup options because of a reluctance to pay top money for the first pick, ultimately getting more and more "not good enough" squad fillers in that eventually blocked the kids.

Last edited:
Top Bottom