• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang: From Thriller To Bad, Should He Just Beat It?

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

He definitely is if not better, different roles though so not sure the comparison works.

Well last season I saw him miss a few sitters, and I checked the stats.

Auba played 135 minutes more in EPL and missed 10 big chances.

Firmino missed 20 big chances. That's double in less minutes. He definitely isn't as prolific goal scorer.

Created 10 big chances vs Auba's 7. Not a very big difference there, playing in a superior team.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
So who you saying is about then if it’s not Auba? You’re welcome to your opinion on the player but it’s also cool for me to say i think you’re being unfair, like we do on here...That’s it really.

You're trying to find something that isn't there. He's got poor linkup play, isn't the strongest, poor dribbler and in possession, shifted wide, etc. That's just the reality, and it doesn't make me appreciate him any less when I say that. However, I do think it's a major reason for why top teams didn't take the chance on him.

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny

Firmino missed 20 big chances. That's double in less minutes. He definitely isn't as prolific goal scorer.

Created 10 big chances vs Auba's 7. Not a very big difference there, playing in a superior team.

Yeah i must say Firminos last season was a bit off the usually high standard. But there is such a difference in Liverpools flowing attacking moves when he is having a good game

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant

How about his contribution in the general play? Dribbling past players, creating space in midfield, combination passing play.........he helps his team to dominate possession and progress the ball.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I would rate Auba and Firmino about the same, both are sort of system players that require their flaws to be covered up.

Pierre is all about off the ball movement, so you need to have a team behind him that can deal with a forward not getting involved in the build up play...while Roberto needs to play with goal scoring wingers, otherwise all the good work he does will be for nothing and his output in goals isn't that high.

Both very good players though, if not the top quality.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
I would rate Auba and Firmino about the same, both are sort of system players that require their flaws to be covered up.

Pierre is all about off the ball movement, so you need to have a team behind him that can deal with a forward not getting involved in the build up play...while Roberto needs to play with goal scoring wingers, otherwise all the good work he does will be for nothing and his output in goals isn't that high.

Did you remember how Spain dominates world football without one goal scorer in the team?
If you create 1000 chance per match, your team will score a lot of goals even if your players have Mustafi’s finishing.

Riou

Did you remember how Spain dominates world football without one goal scorer in the team?
If you create 1000 chance per match, your team will score a lot of goals even if your players have Mustafi’s finishing.

Spain had Torres and Villa at there best during that period...and when those 2 declined, that's when Spain declined rather sharply.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
You're trying to find something that isn't there. He's got poor linkup play, isn't the strongest, poor dribbler and in possession, shifted wide, etc. That's just the reality, and it doesn't make me appreciate him any less when I say that. However, I do think it's a major reason for why top teams didn't take the chance on him.
I can appreciate that he’s no real link striker and some other top tier strikers are better at that than him, but he’s a striker first and foremost, and his return is so good that I feel it’s nitpicking at best to harp on about his pointy elbows... He’s not as bad a dribbler as you make out either and the theory that no top club took a chance on him because of his ‘poor linkup play’ is just that, isn’t it? Unless you’ve got quotes from managers of said top clubs at which I’d have to accept there’s more to your theory.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I'm just glad he's here. We may never see another Henry or Wrighty but he's putting up the numbers. If we had a midfield worthy of the name, his lack of hold up play would be less of an issue. It was hardly Henry and Wrighty's standout attribute after all.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
I can appreciate that he’s no real link striker and some other top tier strikers are better at that than him, but he’s a striker first and foremost, and his return is so good that I feel it’s nitpicking at best to harp on about his pointy elbows... He’s not as bad a dribbler as you make out either and the theory that no top club took a chance on him because of his ‘poor linkup play’ is just that, isn’t it? Unless you’ve got quotes from managers of said top clubs at which I’d have to accept there’s more to your theory.

Come on, he's a poor dribbler, barely beats players with skill or technique, stats-wise he averages below 1 dribble per game too. Nevertheless, all of it adds up. Guys like Lewa, Benzema, Suarez for example have more to their games than 'just' goalscoring, target-man play, link-up, dribbling, technique, etc, call whatever you want. Overall contributions are simply greater. No, I don't have quotes, don't see any relevance to it either. Why would any manager say "we didn't sign Auba because he's not complete enough" anyway. Hardly going out on a limb here, I rate the guy as the best striker in the league currently, but that doesn't mean he hasn't got any shortcomings. At the end of the day as long as he murders teams like City, Chelsea, and Liverpool like he's done the past few months, the rest doesn't matter one bit.

Last edited:

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

You can say this about most top strikers. If you don't have a system for getting the best out of them, they won't perform to their optimum.

Auba has scored goals everywhere he played. He was even Outscoring the leagues best attackers even in the dark days of Unai.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
You can say this about most top strikers. If you don't have a system for getting the best out of them, they won't perform to their optimum.

Auba has scored goals everywhere he played. He was even Outscoring the leagues best attackers even in the dark days of Unai.
There are strikers that are relied to be feed. auba, owen, inzaghi, walcott......Their lack of contribution in the build up play makes the team less effective going forward, less capable of creating space/overload/possession. If they don’t score, they contributed nothing. Most of them are tactical liabilities.

And there are strikers that are heavily involved in the general play. Van Persie, Benzema, Firmino, Suarez......Even if they don’t score, they contributed so much in dribbling past players, controlling the ball in tight area to keep possession, passing play to create space.....which the team will benefits a lot from these plays.

Last edited:

Riou

I'm just glad he's here. We may never see another Henry or Wrighty but he's putting up the numbers. If we had a midfield worthy of the name, his lack of hold up play would be less of an issue. It was hardly Henry and Wrighty's standout attribute after all.

Thierry could pretty much do everything, ridiculous player.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli

Agree with you, Auba isn't a great footballer but he excels in 2-3 areas that make him a top striker.

Riou

Henry's weakness was heading, but that's about it.

Him and Vieira set the bar too high for what a striker and midfielder should be, no one else in Premiership history comes close to their all round games...

Patrick-Vieira-Arsenal.jpg

...my club :drool:

Last edited:
Top Bottom