• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang: From Thriller To Bad, Should He Just Beat It?

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Extending Auba was the right call.

Hmm I think there were good reasons for either if I'm being really honest, especially given the circumstances (we'd probably have gotten very little for him as he had under a year left due to the break).

And especially because the cost of signing him on compared to the cost of replacing him is/was a lot cheaper and we do get him for three years.

It only looks so bad now because Aubameyang isn't performing, but the entire attack has on the whole looked off this season (well domestically).

In a non Covid world and if a club offered say 40 - 50 million for Aubameyang in early June and we turned that down and he'd been really sh!t in a functioning attack then perhaps we could raise more eyebrows.

But I personally think it's unfair to call the club out on this one even if Aubameyang doesn't regain form.

Tbh whilst Özil was a mistake I don't necessarily think it was that stupid at the time all factors considered. We just overpaid on his salary but he was on fire at the time.

The unquestionably stupid move was not selling Alexis as he categorically refused to sign and then signing Willian too.

I call those no hindsight needed dumb*ss manoeuvres.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Extending Auba was the right call.
I’m not sure anymore. If the manager wasn’t going to built the team around him I don’t see the point.

400k to play left wing where he is maybe the worst footballer we’ve ever seen in the last 25 years.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

I’m not sure anymore. If the manager wasn’t going to built the team around him I don’t see the point.

400k to play left wing where he is maybe the worst footballer we’ve ever seen in the last 25 years.

He played LW under Arteta when the team as a whole showed their best form and Auba was scoring week in week out. Now Arteta sucks and so does Auba hence Mikel ****ting himself and trying Auba up front as well.

OnlyOne

Trusted ⭐

Hmm I think there were good reasons for either if I'm being really honest, especially given the circumstances (we'd probably have gotten very little for him as he had under a year left due to the break).

And especially because the cost of signing him on compared to the cost of replacing him is/was a lot cheaper and we do get him for three years.

It only looks so bad now because Aubameyang isn't performing, but the entire attack has on the whole looked off this season (well domestically).

In a non Covid world and if a club offered say 40 - 50 million for Aubameyang in early June and we turned that down and he'd been really sh!t in a functioning attack then perhaps we could raise more eyebrows.

But I personally think it's unfair to call the club out on this one even if Aubameyang doesn't regain form.

Tbh whilst Özil was a mistake I don't necessarily think it was that stupid at the time all factors considered. We just overpaid on his salary but he was on fire at the time.

The unquestionably stupid move was not selling Alexis as he categorically refused to sign and then signing Willian too.

I call those no hindsight needed dumb*ss manoeuvres.

Probably a decent post but I don’t read anything more than two paragraphs.

Jack_the_boy

Definitely Not Manberg
No I did not, I'll quote myself:

"That is no excuse, you are paid enough, you don't listen to fans, you do what you honestly think and within your planning is best for the club.

If someone spouted that excuse out loud they deserve to be fired."

The point I made is that it should not be a major factor in the decision making process of dealing with players.

And that we should sign players based on a number of metrics, information (on the player) etc, basically whatever resources are at the club's disposal in terms of the player directly and in accordance with our plan.

I then went on to say in later messages that fan opinion probably affects the club's thinking as the individuals in the club are only human, but other factors should ultimately prevail in the decision making process.

Again none of this is me trying to argue about how things actually are or how we make decisions. The truth is we don't know for sure, but a properly run club should not be weighting fan opinion so heavily when making choices about players. That's my point.

In terms of the PR department, yes you're right that we'll have one and in certain matters (perhaps like our kits, but that's speculating) fan opinion will be important or at least considered.

But you're trying to say that fan opinion should be or is heavily weighted when it comes to decisions about players.

I'm trying to say that it shouldn't be, to the point that fans share the blame if the signing goes wrong.

You can't sign players on that basis otherwise you'll end up making a lot of signing that don't fit the profile or direction you're trying to take the club.

You said:
“That is no excuse, you are paid enough, you don't listen to fans, you do what you honestly think and within your planning is best for the club.”

This goes against many principles. You have to listen to fans. It has to factor in to the decision making process. There are many factors, but fan/public opinion is one of the biggest that has to be thought about when making decisions. Not doing so goes against business as well as football principles. Fans cry out for you to sign Auba, you are able to sign Auba and it makes perfect sense at the time, you have little option but to give him a new contract.
If you’re DOF and you go against fan opinion in the majority of your decisions then you will not last long in your job at all.

Another example:
Fans want Arsenal playing attractive football. So you plan around that. To plan and dedicate the style of play to negative Mourinho style football will destroy the integrity of the club. Fan opinion is also a big reason why they did not hire Mourinho, since fans hate his guts. All of this is the right thing to do. I don’t see how you can deny all this.

To be clear, the point I’m arguing here is that I’m saying fan opinion is and has to be a major cog in the wheel of decision making. I agree with you about the other cogs, but you’re practically saying that fan opinion is insignificant in decision making, which is far from the truth at any top club.

Last edited:

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

To be clear, the point I’m arguing here is that I’m saying fan opinion is and has to be a major cog in the wheel of decision making. I agree with you about the other cogs, but you’re practically saying that fan opinion is insignificant in decision making, which is far from the truth at any top club.

Ok well I think you make some good points in that post.

I still don't agree that when it comes to player decisions that fan opinion should be a huge factor.

What I do agree about is that ultimately appeasing fans is important, but I think you do that by winning (which comes from good planning and making player decisions primarily with your plan in mind).

I suppose the exception are clubs like Real and Barca but they are quite unique and in a normal world have comparatively ridiculous amounts of cash to spend on players where mistakes aren't as costly.

In addition to that they are really inefficient and I don't want Arsenal run the way they are.

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
Can you get a profile pic? I don't debate with guys who don't have an avi, sorry.

I do agree though, like if I had other companies offering me a huge pay rise I'd turn it down and stay at my current company for exactly what I was on and an extra 3 years.

Lol...you sir are unusual fellow.

Who was offering him a raise with 3 more years. I didnt see anyone lineup but some noise from Inter. China or Qatar only places I see offering that.

Same situation with Özil...no teams with concrete links to him.

I think agents fooled us. Wish there was something like the NBA for Restricted free agents. Another team gives an offer and we have 3 days or something to decide to match it.

Iceman10

Established Member
He played LW under Arteta when the team as a whole showed their best form and Auba was scoring week in week out. Now Arteta sucks and so does Auba hence Mikel ****ting himself and trying Auba up front as well.

The first half of your comment is why I don’t really get some of the fuss about him playing out wide instead of CF. It is better suited to his mobility and running into space. Unless we are counterattacking against a top team he often gets isolated as CF against clubs that sit back against us (because hold up / link up is not a strength) especially at the Emirates, and as some have noted aerial headers surprisingly are not a strength for him.

It is just about what is best suited to him, not treating him badly, and I’ve not seen him ever complain about his playing position either. It’s just that he was clinical with the two or three clear cut chances he got per game previously while he’s come off that form recently. I have often thought about 4-4-1-1 instead of 4-2-3-1, but we’ve tried it on occasion with poor results so far.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
The first half of your comment is why I don’t really get some of the fuss about him playing out wide instead of CF. It is better suited to his mobility and running into space. Unless we are counterattacking against a top team he often gets isolated as CF against clubs that sit back against us (because hold up / link up is not a strength) especially at the Emirates, and as some have noted aerial headers surprisingly are not a strength for him.

It is just about what is best suited to him, not treating him badly, and I’ve not seen him ever complain about his playing position either. It’s just that he was clinical with the two or three clear cut chances he got per game previously while he’s come off that form recently. I have often thought about 4-4-1-1 instead of 4-2-3-1, but we’ve tried it on occasion with poor results so far.
Looks like you are a fan of Bergkamp.

If you like Bergkamp, you would know that with auba’s footballing ability, he should not be played in any position on the pitch. We need a Bergkamp in the team, auba is shxt.

Iceman10

Established Member
Looks like you are a fan of Bergkamp.

If you like Bergkamp, you would know that with auba’s footballing ability, he should not be played in any position on the pitch. We need a Bergkamp in the team, auba is shxt.

Big fan of Bergkamp, maybe a once in a lifetime player, especially for Arsenal because he had a bond with the club no matter what.

Have to make the most from what we have with players under contract. Without Martinelli’s injury I think it would have been pretty clear to cash in on Auba last summer. That said I still believe he has one or two purple patches in him, this isn’t an Özil, Willian, or Pepe situation just yet as I see it, but could be wrong. Maybe we can still find a buyer this summer, I definitely would not be opposed.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Extending his contract was the right call, I think. But not doubling his salary ffs.

It's now becoming a trend where players play their best football, when their contract is almost up and then become instantaneously shît immediately after we hand them a big contract. It doesn't help that arsenal has been quite liberal in giving out bonanza contracts in the last few years.

I just hope Laca is not the next in line.

OSBK

Established Member
I don't know maybe the small little matter of auba scoring **** loads of goals for us,being the main source and winning out first trophy post Wenger era.

Would you bought haaland instead?

How many has he got this season? Sounds like you think so far its value for money

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Extending his contract was the right call, I think. But not doubling his salary ffs.

It's now becoming a trend where players play their best football, when their contract is almost up and then become instantaneously shît immediately after we hand them a big contract. It doesn't help that arsenal has been quite liberal in giving out bonanza contracts in the last few years.

I just hope Laca is not the next in line.
Reading too much into the salary and assuming the worst. Look at the goals we’ve been scoring this season, crosses from Tierney, penalties/set pieces or flukey goals. The only well worked goals have been few and far in between.

Will be a miracle if Auba manages double digits this season, you need to examine your manager a little bit more.

As for Lacazette it’s so blindingly obvious we are not going to extend. We just renewed Rob Holdings contract infront of him and he had more time left. Reports of him falling out with Arteta too.

Özil hasn’t even left yet you’re already looking for the next highest paid player smh.

Last edited:

OnlyOne

Trusted ⭐

Reading too much into the salary and assuming the worse. Look at the goals we’ve been scoring this season, crosses from Tierney, penalties/set pieces or flukey goals. The only well worked goals were in Fulham and WBA.

Will be a miracle if Auba manages double digits this season, you need to examine your manager a little bit more.

As for Lacazette it’s so blindingly obvious we are not going to extend. We just renewed Rob Holdings contract infront of him and he had more time left. Reports of him falling out with Arteta too.

This really is just another issue I have with Mikel, he was so quick to say I want rid of 'xyz' player and we need more players in that half these guys out there are playing knowing they have no future with Arsenal.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

This really is just another issue I have with Mikel, he was so quick to say I want rid of 'xyz' player and we need more players in that half these guys out there are playing knowing they have no future with Arsenal.
BT sports we’re getting onto Sam Allerdyce about that yesterday. He’s been rinsing the whole “need 5 players” schtick too.

Arteta somehow gets away with it and bizarrely the players are still trying.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Still think Auba will go on a mega scoring run soon, he isn't playing any differently to how he played the last few years for us, he just needs some luck to turn it around.

After the FA Cup heroics last season, I feel Pierre deserves some faith.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Still think Auba will go on a mega scoring run soon, he isn't playing any differently to how he played the last few years for us, he just needs some luck to turn it around.

After the FA Cup heroics last season, I feel Pierre deserves some faith.
Is that so? So I guess Willian could go back to his old form from Chelsea as well, it's just like that... They've both had great lass season, so if it's possible with Auba we can definitely expect it from Willian, right?

Even if Auba does start scoring again, it won't make us any better. What will make us better is that the club stops watching his individual numbers and gets a player who can actually play the LF role

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
He's taking something like under 2 shots a game this season with people like Gabriel and Holding usually having more shots during a match.

Don't know the stats for last season but even then we weren't creating loads of chances so I'm guessing he was having to be absolutely lethal in terms of efficiency to get the number of goals he did.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Don't know the stats for last season but even then we weren't creating loads of chances so I'm guessing he was having to be absolutely lethal in terms of efficiency to get the number of goals he did.
He was overperforming just like Ramsey did back in 2013/14 (I think that was the season). I was saying that at the time, this won't last and we should look for better solutions, but everyone was so happy with it and nobody even considered what will happen when things go back to normal.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I feel like you have a problem with Auba's age.

I could be wrong, but I haven't seen anything from Martinelli to suggest he takes this attack up a notch - he's pretty much more of what we got but more energy.
I don't mate :lol:, I have a problem with him starting on the LW, and as you are saying, I have the same problem with Martinelli playing there but I'm a bit happier because he does more running and can press better.
I see Auba as our version of Pedro in his glory days at Barca, a LF who would only be at the end of things. But we are so far away from that Barca and we can't allow having a player who can't contribute to our buildup from the wing. There's just not enough creativity within the team to have that luxury.
It's basically not Auba who I would blame, it's more down to our system, but Auba's number's fooled many people that we need to take the hit on our creativity and use his goals instead. That was never going to work

Latest posts+

Top Bottom