• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang: From Thriller To Bad, Should He Just Beat It?

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Didn't he do the same last season?

I keep seeing this claim and get very confused about what some of y’all were watching last season. You can divide last season into two parts.

Until Christmas we predominantly played 4-2-3-1 and attacked with 4 players with Auba furthest forward and having license to roam into wide areas from the centre. It changed when Freddie took over and then Arteta.

Auba carried on scoring from the left with a ridiculously high conversion rate, but was getting fewer and fewer chances. He was just clinical.

This current situation has been happening slowly over the past several months, just obfuscated by a few big goals here and there.

He’s 32 next year and his stamina/athleticism is only going in one direction

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
I keep seeing this claim and get very confused about what some of y’all were watching last season. You can divide last season into two parts.

Until Christmas we predominantly played 4-2-3-1 and attacked with 4 players with Auba furthest forward and having license to roam into wide areas from the centre. It changed when Freddie took over and then Arteta.

Auba carried on scoring from the left with a ridiculously high conversion rate, but was getting fewer and fewer chances. He was just clinical.

This current situation has been happening slowly over the past several months, just obfuscated by a few big goals here and there.

He’s 32 next year and his stamina/athleticism is only going in one direction
I agree that Auba outperformed his xG massively last season, but 0,43 xG total this season in the bottom of the barrel stuff.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Teams were clocking on to our left sided build-up and were just throwing bodies there. I think that was why.
I don’t know if that’s why you know. Instead of moving a guy from a position where he scored loads of goals from, you should be trying to exploit the fact that teams might be overcompensating for his potency. If you are forcing the opposition to react to that degree then good management will have you one step in front all the time. I have no clue why he started on the right to be honest, but I can only think that it was just an idea.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Just shove him up or in through the middle. He will be more often inserted or played through and sometimes rifled into goal instead.

Ciscoo

Auba-Laca-Pepe was never going to work, not least without a pure 10. Zero physicality or ball retention, minimal creativity or pressing. We were short a top CF in the transfer window and it shows.

Saka is pretty much the only one who is linking them together. It really makes you dread situations like when he came off in the final 20 and we offered absolutely nothing after.

Not sure how much we can blame Arteta though. Seems like he's biding his time with his system until he has all the players to fulfil it. Isn't that what most top managers have done?

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Everyone knows we basically ended up with Auba and Laca by mistake, even some within the club have admitted it. If we knew we would get Auba we'd have never bought Laca. But Arsenal isn't such a big club that it can immediately shelve a 50m signing, so we had to make it work.

The thing is though, enough time has passed now that I think we can shelve one of them, and obviously it should be Laca. He's been here 3 seasons and his form is bad, we don't need to pretend to anyone that he should be on the pitch. We could just make him a substitute player and look to sell next summer.

The club made a financial commitment to Aubameyang, so commit to him and play him CF. It doesn't matter that he's able to play on the left, just play him where he can run less and where he's more likely to score.

Unfortunately this club didn't stop making bad decisions when Gazidis left, they continue to make financial decisions that don't align with sporting decisions, and the result is huge inefficiency which is costing us on the pitch.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Not sure how much we can blame Arteta though. Seems like he's biding his time with his system until he has all the players to fulfil it. Isn't that what most top managers have done?
You get it.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Everyone knows we basically ended up with Auba and Laca by mistake, even some within the club have admitted it. If we knew we would get Auba we'd have never bought Laca. But Arsenal isn't such a big club that it can immediately shelve a 50m signing, so we had to make it work.
Everybody knows what? Auba was scouted for years where did you get this from?

Lacazette probably a mistake but he wasn’t an accident - our statistical approach at the time put him on our radar and he was the cheaper option.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan

Lacazette probably a mistake but he wasn’t an accident - our statistical approach at the time put him on our radar and he was the cheaper option.

Imo Lacazette was one of the few strikers available back then. Diego Costa went back to Atletico, Lukaku was far too expensive, the other one was Morata. I guess that's why Arsenal got him in the end.

Auba might've been on the clubs radar longterm, but he was one of the unavailable strikers as Dortmund refused to let him go summer of 2017, and then it became an opportunistic buy through Auba falling out with BvB due to them not letting him go before and the new Dortmund connection through Mislintat.

Feels like Laca never was supposed to be signed if there had been other options, and Auba ended up at Arsenal by pure chance.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Wenger never wanted Lacazette did he? Moved in the same summer when we tried in vain to get Mbappe.

Auba - Giroud would’ve been a good set of options to have. **** it throw in Nkteiah and you’d have poachers with pace, height and a presser.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐

I meant they didn't set out to acquire both of them, it just sort of happened. I'm just saying it wasn't a piece of careful squad planning, it was happenstance that they've been dealing with ever since.

At first it wasn't deemed a problem cos there was this supposed 'connection' between the two players, which i think people projected onto them because they are good friends off the field and occasionally passed the ball to each other. They're not actually a great partnership, like Kane and Son for example.

Malky

Established Member
ktm73gjf8bv51.jpg

Dark times upon us.
That's a worry for us on the pitch and off it, now that he's signed the new deal.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
I meant they didn't set out to acquire both of them, it just sort of happened. I'm just saying it wasn't a piece of careful squad planning, it was happenstance that they've been dealing with ever since.

Think that's pretty fitting as a description of what happened. The team needed more goals, so they went into the market and got Lacazette for a lack of better options as the striker market was dry and Laca was the only viable option left for various reasons. He didn't bring the desperatly needed goals so Mislintat took the sudden opportunity to sign Aubameyang. Imo there wasn't much strategic planning in signing these two for so much money, just as you say.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

The thing is though, enough time has passed now that I think we can shelve one of them, and obviously it should be Laca. He's been here 3 seasons and his form is bad, we don't need to pretend to anyone that he should be on the pitch. We could just make him a substitute player and look to sell next summer.

The club made a financial commitment to Aubameyang, so commit to him and play him CF. It doesn't matter that he's able to play on the left, just play him where he can run less and where he's more likely to score.

Unfortunately this club didn't stop making bad decisions when Gazidis left, they continue to make financial decisions that don't align with sporting decisions, and the result is huge inefficiency which is costing us on the pitch.

All very true.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Good, I honestly saw nothing from Laca vs Leicester which Auba isn't capable of, and Laca was the highest player in the terms of average position so it wasn't even as if he was playing the false 9 role some pretend he's playing. Also our best chance fell to him, a chance you want falling to Auba ideally. It'll not solve all our offensive issues but we need to work toward Auba being the main recipient of the chances we create and not in a weird inside forward role, or on the touchline. Next step Saka LW and Pepe RW for a few games and see how it goes.

Top Bottom