• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal vs Blackburn Rovers | 25/08/04

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark

Established Member
Just realised a preview hasn't been written yet, so I took on the responsibility myself...

We are 90 minutes away from making history in English football. If we avoid defeat at home to Blackburn on Wednesday, we will have gone an incredible 43 games in the Premiership without losing. The current record is 42, which we equalled by coming back to beat Boro on Sunday, and this will be no easy game either. Blackburn manager Grame Souness, incidently, was in the Liverpool side that beat Nottingham Forest in their 43rd game and he will be looking to repeat this achievement against our Arsenal side 26 games later.

Blackburn always give us a tough time and their new signing, former Gunner, Paul Dickov gave us a tough time playing for Leicester last season when we came from behind to complete a whole season unbeaten. Apart from that, I think we should deal with their attack. Barry Fergusson is missing for them so they don't have all that much creativity in midfield.

Campbell, Vieira, Edu and van Persie are missing for us.

I would go with this lineup...

Lehmann

Lauren Toure Cygan Cole

Ljungberg Cesc Gilberto Pires

Henry Reyes

Subs: 1. Almunia 2. Bergkamp 3. Pennant 4. Flamini 5. Hoyte

I don't think that is the lineup that will go out there, that is just the one I would pick. I don't know if Bergkamp can play another game having played 90 minutes just a few days earlier, but I suspect he will as I don't know who else would be captain. I would like Pires to start this one as he was so influencial when he came on against Boro.

Wenger claims he is not interested in records and to be honest, neither am I. I wouldn't be too happy with a draw, even if it does equal the record because this, in my opinion, is a game we should win and I think we will. My prediction is 3-0. Henry, Pires and Ljungberg. I think Wenger will really make sure we keep a clean sheet in this one, and our attacking will be brilliant as usual especially if Pires starts.

Reyes, Henry and Bergkamp.

4-1 I say

1 from Reyes, 2 from Henry and 1 from Bergkamp. Oh dear - it's almost 2. Better go and get to sleep or I'll never wake up and get to Highbury.

James

tox

Looking forward to tommorow we should be in good spirits. I think i'll get down there early for a few drinks.

leongsh

The line-up that I'm guessing:

Lehmann
Lauren, Toure, Cygan, Cole
Gilberto, Cesc, Pires
Bergkamp, Henry, Reyes

Subs: Alumnia, Hoyte, Van Parsie, Ljungberg, Flamini

I hope to see a better defensive performance and for Arsenal to get their first clean sheet of the season.

Scoreline prediction:
Arsenal 2-0 Blackburn Rovers

Mark

Established Member
He apparently has a minor ankle injury. Can't remember where I read this though. Nothing serious.

jeromelee

I've got a feeling that Bergy will play. Maybe not the full 90 min but I'm sure he'll start. Just to get the team started.

Are you sure Edu's not playing? I thought he'd be back by this game. He's not injured and just resting anyway.

As for Cygan, week in and week out I keep on saying it's time for a change there. But guess there's not much options since Senderos or Hoyte may still be a little raw.

Bugger the fact that I'm not interested in the record. I want it!!!!

Mark

Established Member
Edu is still not ready according to Wenger, but should be ready for the Norwich game.

shaz

so when do you think van persie will actually get to play a bit more? he looked a bit clumsy with the ball in the charity shield.

Mark

Established Member
Whenever Wenger feels he is ready. I suspect he will start with some sub appearances and maybe start occasionally in place of someone injured perhaps. He looked good in pre-season so I was quite hopeful he would get a lot of games this year. I still think he might. Once he gets his chance in the team he has to really take it and show what he can do. We'll see...

shaz

cole and toure only came into the team, because of injuries with silvino and someone else. this might sound kinda messed up, i hope someone gets injured so van the man can play. ;D

Mark

Established Member
Ljungberg is bound to get injured at some point, Bergy rested, which could mean Pires on the right and one of Reyes or RvP upfront or LM. He will get his chance eventually.

shaz

what do you think about his pace? didnt seem to have alot in the CS. they say his more of a bergy player.. but even bergkamp has alot of pace and power.

Mark

Established Member
RvP's game is not really about pace. Despite being able to play LM, he is not a winger. His game is more about looking up and picking out a clever pass and getting some goals. His ability in the air will be useful, but he shouldn't really be played on the wing. He is very different to Reyes, but still very effective. More of a Bergkamp/Kanu player. He is strong and will be good for holding the ball up. Difficult to get the ball off him.

shaz

hmm.. with cesc and van persies passing, we should be able to compensate if bergy retires.

then we'd just need pudlian gerrard alongside cesc :D

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Nice write up. I'm really looking forrward to this game but sadly I will have to listen to it on the radio. Hope we win and put the pressure back on Chelsea.

Mark

Established Member
I'll have to listen on the radio too. Not even the full game, just updates. Absolutely ridiculous considering this game could potentially re-write the history of English football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom