• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal vs Bolton Wanderers | 18/09/04

Arnie

mybe we're tired, after the constant pressure in the cl game! I didn't watch the match cos i was at one slammin wedding, but i saw the goals this morning. some pure defending from set peices, but i hope we show great bouncebackability!!

arsenal4life

omega man said:
16 out of a possible 18 points, cant ask for better.

sorry
but we MUST ask for more if we are capable to do

when you face a team and don't get the result you want
there are two reasons

1- the opponent is too good to take the result you want from him
2- you're in a bad shape

i wouldn't be sad if the first reason was the reason behind yesterday's result
but it ISN'T
i don't see Bolton that hard ... ok maybe in the Reebock
but not in Highbury
and they should NOT be that hard

we were in a bad shape yesterday and we didn't learn from our defensive mistake
and this is the problem

from the last season and we all say we are not that good in set pieces
when we conceded two Idiot goals in Celta match

and we STILL suffer from the same problem

this what make me wrathful

we MUST FIX this problem if we want to win CL
all the big team plays well on the set pices and the crosses
Milan UV Barca Valencia

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
wow, it just completely amazes me the amount of stupid negativity from one non-win.... i just dont get it.... there is no perfection.. never has been, never will be... so I think we are doing pretty well.....

but i think you can add 2 more reasons for not getting a result:

3-Luck on the part of the opponent
4-a few bad moments in a match

i personally think it was a mix of 3 & 4... we arent in bad shape... we have played 7 matches thus far and won 6 and drew 1....

lets all keep our eyes on our standings these days:

EPL - 1st place
CL Group Stage - 1st place

we have been playing with Cygan (who admittedly isnt as good as Sol) and without Paddy for all but the last 2 matches... we have not lost one yet.... to me, this isnt all that friggin bad....

i just dont get it.... people were getting all pissy after PSV, and we WON that match... gimme a break.... we arent going to win 4-0 in every match... and we arent going to WIN every match...

Mark

Established Member
USArsenal said:
wow, it just completely amazes me the amount of stupid negativity from one non-win.... i just dont get it.... there is no perfection.. never has been, never will be... so I think we are doing pretty well.....

but i think you can add 2 more reasons for not getting a result:

3-Luck on the part of the opponent
4-a few bad moments in a match

i personally think it was a mix of 3 & 4... we arent in bad shape... we have played 7 matches thus far and won 6 and drew 1....

lets all keep our eyes on our standings these days:

EPL - 1st place
CL Group Stage - 1st place

we have been playing with Cygan (who admittedly isnt as good as Sol) and without Paddy for all but the last 2 matches... we have not lost one yet.... to me, this isnt all that friggin bad....

i just dont get it.... people were getting all pissy after PSV, and we WON that match... gimme a break.... we arent going to win 4-0 in every match... and we arent going to WIN every match...

Damn right, USArsenal! Some people are never satisfied.

slapz

arsenal4life said:
omega man said:
16 out of a possible 18 points, cant ask for better.

sorry
but we MUST ask for more if we are capable to do

when you face a team and don't get the result you want
there are two reasons

1- the opponent is too good to take the result you want from him
2- you're in a bad shape

i wouldn't be sad if the first reason was the reason behind yesterday's result
but it ISN'T
i don't see Bolton that hard ... ok maybe in the Reebock
but not in Highbury
and they should NOT be that hard

Bolton NOT that hard??? If they arent that hard, why have they been one of Arsenal's toughest opponents in the premier league... There was a 1-1 draw at highbury 3 years ago when Bolton played most of the game with 10 men, a last kick goal by Kanu won it 2-1 the year after and last season even though we took a quick 2 goal lead we had to hang on right at the end and could have even drew that game so of course its gonna be hard. Wenger thought so with his comments in the newspapers on the Friday and yesterday as well as most people on here in the thread titled who'll end our run thought Bolton would be a toughie

Try telling the billionaires of Chelsea who took the lead against Bolton at the bridge last season but Bolton came away with a point

A bit of luck was needed by Arsenal yesterday as well but fortune favoured the team who came to get something from the game... there was the henry shot at jussi which jaidi stopped pires rebounding, vieira hitting a shot which was blocked by a keeper, thierry losing control soon after we had conceded the second when he was through but the ball bobbled up and Bruno N'gotty got back in time.

You have games where you're not going to win... we just got to hope that we dont lose them either and the team in second place get the same or worse than us ( which is what happened today when Sp**s held chelsea )

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
its not about the teamsheets... its about the style they play.... and if they are not too tough, why did they take a point against ManUre (should have WON, but for a bad ref decision) and why did they beat Liverpool?

Bolton is in 3rd for a reason.... they have been playing well.... as they did against us... but they didnt BEAT us, which is good.. and Chelski drawing with Spuds today helped too..

KingReyes

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
from the sky highlights, cygan actually looked pretty good. espcially the first half, made some good interceptions and good tackles. i dont think he can blamed for the second goal to be honest. pedersen's first touch was incredible and that in itself gave cygan no chance of stopping him. toure lost the header too easily to ferdinand IMO and lauren gave away a stupid freekick. lehmann's attempt at saving pedersen's shot looked pathetic, but pedersen took that shot so early which usually takes most keepers by surprise making it difficult to save.

Once again, well said Pat. Cygan was very strong in the first half, the aerial bombardment we got in the second shouldn't be blamed just on Cygan, as Wenger said..
Of course you need Sol when he's fit again but I think it (the Bolton match) was a team problem not an individual one.

Cygan's main weakness is that he tends to lose his player a bit easily at times however credit to Pederson for that second goal the touch was quality. Toure's marking on the ground is phenomenal but his aerial power was beaten by Ferdinand and it led to the goal. Dissapointed to conceded both goals from set pieces we are usually much better at them, maybe Sol's presence was felt for this kind of game. But Bolton got a hard earned draw.

Gurgen

Established Member
USArsenal said:
its not about the teamsheets... its about the style they play.... and if they are not too tough, why did they take a point against ManUre (should have WON, but for a bad ref decision) and why did they beat Liverpool?

Bolton is in 3rd for a reason.... they have been playing well.... as they did against us... but they didnt BEAT us, which is good.. and Chelski drawing with Spuds today helped too..

Sure that's all true, still after watching the game I feel with the quality we have and a little bit more effort we could have won that game.

slapz

USArsenal said:

Technically, Bolton are 4th..Everton moved to 3rd today

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
face it, we aren't going to win every match.... sometimes the breaks go against us.. the fact that when the breaks were against us and we didnt lose the match is a testiment to our quality.... the longer our "unbeaten" run continues, the more teams will be "gunning" for us (no pun intended)....

i can live with a Draw against a bogey team like Bolton.....still tops in the league and still undefeated in 46 matches.....

koivu

I was pretty annoyed when leaving the match..these guys were talking about how terrible Cygan is and also how this new offside rule is b*ll*cks as we would have won. There's no pleasing some, eh?

leongsh

Bolton Wanderers are playing well, and except for their blip against Fulham, they have been earning their wins and draws. They are one of the form teams.

Some people are losing perspective of the game. Some are even looking at it as though all the Arsenal team have to do is just show up to earn the win and the 3 points. I'm fearful that the number of gooners that subconsciously think that way and try to justify their opinions are going to grow. The Manchester United fans have been substantially guilty of that thinking and resultant boorish behaviour in past seasons that has brought so much ire over them.

However, I'm happy that the Arsenal team does not think that way now, i.e. winning by just showing up, as they have admitted that they used to have. It's back to the familiar "grind" of "One match at a time". We have been fortunate not to have lost any ground to the other contenders at the moment and just be glad about it.

jeromelee

Simple point is that Cygan is not an able deputy. I'm happy AW knows this too. I hope he has plans to reinforce the defence or to blood the youngsters instead of consistently playing that slow and often out of position Cygan.

Top Bottom