• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal vs Bolton Wanderers | 18/09/04

Henry[14]

if we wanna play better we must playing and starting matches with this line-up ....

Almunia

Lauren - Toure - Sol - Ashley

Ljungberg - Fabregas - Vieira - Reyes

Bergkamp
Henry

subs:
Lehmann
Gilberto
Pennant
Pires
Van Pirsie

========================== :angel

Gurgen

Established Member
leongsh said:
Some people are losing perspective of the game. Some are even looking at it as though all the Arsenal team have to do is just show up to earn the win and the 3 points. I'm fearful that the number of gooners that subconsciously think that way and try to justify their opinions are going to grow. The Manchester United fans have been substantially guilty of that thinking and resultant boorish behaviour in past seasons that has brought so much ire over them.

I take it you mean me with that comment. If you look carefully at my posts, you'll see I never said that we will win by turning up. I was talking about effort.

I'll explain it plain and simple this time:

How many chances did we create between the 0-0 and the 1-0? A fair amount. How many between the 1-0 and 1-1? ONE. How many between the 2-1 and 2-2? NONE. How many in the last 5 minutes? Four? Five?

Draw your conclusion.

huyha123

i got one idea quite unique here. during the match and some others before, I think the main reason we got problems with team put 10 men behind the ball and not win this match is after the first and also the second goal. when we leading. i can not believe in my eyes when we push even harder, play faster for another goal!!!

this is where problem lie, which i think even if we are bad at set pieces like yesterday we still win that match.

instead, we should keep the ball. passing between the back 4, Henry, Pires. and with two central midfielders not good at attacking but very good in keep the ball. try to keep the ball is not a too big problem. also will much less hard then chasing the ball, try to defend against a tricky team.

i say if they want to equalize, let them get the ball first, not attacking and attacking then lose the ball.

certainly we not keep the ball and then do nothing. if they raise up their defence to get the ball back. it will be easier to attack then. especially after they so angry, so tired, so frustrated to get the ball back.

we will have lots and lots of team play in 10-men-behind-ball way at highbury. so I seriously think my suggestion should be considered. it is the most effective and best way for the CL as well.

brady

Gurgen said:
leongsh said:
Some people are losing perspective of the game. Some are even looking at it as though all the Arsenal team have to do is just show up to earn the win and the 3 points. I'm fearful that the number of gooners that subconsciously think that way and try to justify their opinions are going to grow. The Manchester United fans have been substantially guilty of that thinking and resultant boorish behaviour in past seasons that has brought so much ire over them.

I take it you mean me with that comment. If you look carefully at my posts, you'll see I never said that we will win by turning up. I was talking about effort.

How many chances did we create between the 0-0 and the 1-0? A fair amount. How many between the 1-0 and 1-1? ONE. How many between the 2-1 and 2-2? NONE. How many in the last 5 minutes? Four? Five?

Draw your conclusion.
Are you suggesting that all we need to do is try hard enough and we ought to win? i know you also mentioned teamsheets but that is extremely subjective - do we then say that we match teamsheets with juventus, real madrid and conclude that if we are better on paper, we just put it in the effort, and we will win?
And the implication that we can simply want to turn it on when we want to, in your analysis of the number of attempts on goal, ignores the fact that there is another team playing and they may have something to say about that.

Gurgen

Established Member
I'm not saying we can do what we want, we're not god after all. We can certainly try harder though. I suggest you read the post again.

leongsh

Gurgen said:
leongsh said:

Draw your conclusion.

No. Not really meaning you in particular but you do seem to fall into that category. I do read other Arsenal forums and I do see a number of gooners starting to get carried away in those forums and over here.

I'm a bit more forgiving of the squad in certain respects. It would be better that the team creates lots of chances but that is not as good as what they make of the chances, i.e. convert them. I very much prefer an Arsenal that makes 3 chances in the entire game and converts 2-3 of them compared to one which makes 10+ chances and converts 2-3. It's an economy of effort coupled with good game control that I would like to see Arsenal play - helps them get through a very long and hard season of EPL, Champions League, and FA Cup matches.

I'm perfectly happy if the scoreline stayed 1-0 in favour of Arsenal throughout the match. I love Arsenal clean sheets but that seems to be a rarity nowadays. I am partly consoled with the very exciting attacking midfield and forward line that Arsenal has that is the extra topping that I don't mind enjoying over the substance part of tight defence and midfield control.

Gurgen

Established Member
That's the whole point, we don't have a tight defense, that's why we shouldn't start defending when 1-0 up. Mind you, we did the exact same thing vs. PSV and Chelsea in the CL.

brady

Gurgen said:
I'm not saying we can do what we want, we're not god after all. We can certainly try harder though. I suggest you read the post again.

ok fair enough though i am not sure that you can just equate the number of chances with effort. like i said, there is another team on the pitch as well and bolton were playing some nice football. also they had a week's rest. we did not.

A

Anonymous

huyha123 said:
i got one idea quite unique here. during the match and some others before, I think the main reason we got problems with team put 10 men behind the ball and not win this match is after the first and also the second goal. when we leading. i can not believe in my eyes when we push even harder, play faster for another goal!!!

this is where problem lie, which i think even if we are bad at set pieces like yesterday we still win that match.

instead, we should keep the ball. passing between the back 4, Henry, Pires. and with two central midfielders not good at attacking but very good in keep the ball. try to keep the ball is not a too big problem. also will much less hard then chasing the ball, try to defend against a tricky team.

i say if they want to equalize, let them get the ball first, not attacking and attacking then lose the ball.

certainly we not keep the ball and then do nothing. if they raise up their defence to get the ball back. it will be easier to attack then. especially after they so angry, so tired, so frustrated to get the ball back.

we will have lots and lots of team play in 10-men-behind-ball way at highbury. so I seriously think my suggestion should be considered. it is the most effective and best way for the CL as well.

i disagree with playing negative football, fans would start to get pissed off ... arsenal is known for its fluent flowing attacks not defending against tricky teams lol

Mark

Established Member
I guess it is a problem that we panic when a goal up with not long to go. We don't keep the ball well enough and just let them have all of it in our half. We need to remain calm, not too calm, and keep the ball in the corner or something. Or better yet - push for more goals just don't get too many forward like we normally would.

bethie

hmm i was correct in guessing the score
damn.
was depressed for two days. see, thats what happened when you are drunk on success, a draw against a not 'famous' team just seem that hard to swallow, esp in highbury.
thank god sol is coming back... honestly, our defence is damn dodgy and its not just down to the last 5 guys in our half of the field. what happens when your defence is leaking and your attack just cant put the ball in no matter what you do.

bethie

damn.
was depressed for two days. see, thats what happened when you are drunk on success, a draw against a not 'famous' team just seem that hard to swallow, esp in highbury.
thank god sol is coming back... honestly, our defence is damn dodgy and its not just down to the last 5 guys in our half of the field. what happens when your defence is leaking and your attack just cant put the ball in no matter what you do.

bethie

damn.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom