• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal vs Burnley | December 22nd | KO: 12:30 GMT | Sky Sports

Match Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

You want players to be angry when subbed. The Mesut haters are back in their cages for a while.
For sure, that’s what I thought too but after people were almost wishing injury to Mesut for getting angry after getting subbed off I thought I was wrong. So really confused that there was not much fuss about it today. It feels almost like its personal against Özil instead of the act.

Fallout

loved the performance and spirit.

i don't think we have figured out the 3-back though. once we made the switch (admittedly due to injury), we lost all possession and resorted to counters. i'm not convinced that was by design. there were some hairy moments.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
Me too been calling since the start of season it suit the players we got

Could not agreed more! it fullfill Auba Laca and Özil and even Ramsey could play a part in a midfield 3, please Emery hold on to this no need to play 5 out of the back.

HBL

Established Member
Probably saw about 10 minutes of the game, sounds like Burnley were Stoke 2.0 for the day. Would love for them to get relegated, did manage to see Barnes get Sokratis in a head lock in the limited amount of the game I saw. Can anyone give me a run down of the game?

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Why are people so angry Mesut helped us win?

Not seen any examples, but I would imagine it’s in response to over-hype of his performance. I thought he had a great game, best I’ve seen for ages - long may it continue! But some of the fanboy praise is a bit over the top and probably winding up others.

This is Arsenal FC. Not Özil FC.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
4-3-1-2 is definitely our best formation, and I bet we would have played it a lot more if Welbeck hadn't gotten injured. If you only have two fit strikers, it is crazy to depend on a formation where both of them play every match. It is kind of crazy, but Nketiah's form can have a big influence on our season. If he doesn't score goals, we won't be able to play our best formation that often.

Also, I think Ramsey would be great in this formation. A midfield three of Xhaka, Torreira, and Ramsey with Özil at AM would be excellent. Ramsey could contribute defensively, and use his non-stop running in midfield to keep up the intensity that Emery wants. And Ramsey and Torreira are legit goalscoring threats from midfield.

We'd also continue to get our width from our fullbacks, while still being solid defensively.

If Emery figures out how to use Özil and Ramsey this team can go up another level.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Why is nobody outraged about Laca’s angry reaction to the sub? When Mesut did the same people wanted him deported to Turkey.

It’s pretty simple. Laca has loads of goodwill built up in the fanbase, based on his performances and commitment on the pitch. Ozils goodwill buffer has slowly been eroded from hero status down to empty based on his performances over several seasons (perceived lack of interest, missing games, pulling out of tackles etc..)

No great mystery TBH. Özil was really good today let’s hope he’s back on a good run of form.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
It’s pretty simple. Laca has loads of goodwill built up in the fanbase, based on his performances and commitment on the pitch. Ozils goodwill buffer has slowly been eroded from hero status down to empty based on his performances over several seasons (perceived lack of interest, missing games, pulling out of tackles etc..)

No great mystery TBH. Özil was really good today let’s hope he’s back on a good run of form.

I don't think its performance based for Özil. The media have had an agenda against him from day one and that kind of thinking has sadly filtered down to fans. I think how pundits and the papers talk about players affects a fan's perception of him.

Look at Pogba, he's United's best player by a street but you wouldn't know it based on how he gets lambasted to hell and back by the media and now even United fans want him sold. So that they can do what? Play Herrera and Fellaini in midfield instead of the World Cup Winner?

Özil has to play twice as well to get half the praise that one of our average players get. There isn't a big team in the country that he hasn't scored or assisted against yet even Arsenal fans, the people who actually watch these games, trot out the "He doesn't perform in big games line." Its like Özil has to score a hat trick at Stamford Bridge, Old Trafford, Anfield, WHL and the Etihad all in the same season before he gets any credit for his big game performances.

ptrcopp

For sure, that’s what I thought too but after people were almost wishing injury to Mesut for getting angry after getting subbed off I thought I was wrong. So really confused that there was not much fuss about it today. It feels almost like its personal against Özil instead of the act.

Few people moaned when Sanchez did it too

ptrcopp

4-3-1-2 is definitely our best formation, and I bet we would have played it a lot more if Welbeck hadn't gotten injured. If you only have two fit strikers, it is crazy to depend on a formation where both of them play every match. It is kind of crazy, but Nketiah's form can have a big influence on our season. If he doesn't score goals, we won't be able to play our best formation that often.

Also, I think Ramsey would be great in this formation. A midfield three of Xhaka, Torreira, and Ramsey with Özil at AM would be excellent. Ramsey could contribute defensively, and use his non-stop running in midfield to keep up the intensity that Emery wants. And Ramsey and Torreira are legit goalscoring threats from midfield.

We'd also continue to get our width from our fullbacks, while still being solid defensively.

If Emery figures out how to use Özil and Ramsey this team can go up another level.

I think the main thing that will mean we see less of the 4-3-1-2 is defender injuries.

Emery seems to move toward it when we’re low on CB/ don’t have, as he did today

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think the main thing that will mean we see less of the 4-3-1-2 is defender injuries.

Emery seems to move toward it when we’re low on CB/ don’t have, as he did today

Injuries in attack and defense have definitely played a role. Fingers-crossed that our injuries in defense are sorting themselves out. Monreal got injured today, but Sokratis, Mustafi, and Kos are back, and Mavro was back in training too.

Also, Maitland-Niles will be important in our defense because he can fill in on both sides. Bellerin and Monreal are injured, but with AMN we still have two fit fullbacks, and one backup for each flank.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Watching Sam Dyche's press conference. He is going totally overboard. He makes it sound like the game was stolen from him. And then he has the audacity to complain about diving when the push in the back of that Burnley player was no where near enough to make him fall over. He threw himself in a clear dive, but that is probably what Old Sam refers to as "gamesmanship" so therefore it is fine.

I will not miss him when he is down in the Championship where he belongs!

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
Injuries in attack and defense have definitely played a role. Fingers-crossed that our injuries in defense are sorting themselves out. Monreal got injured today, but Sokratis, Mustafi, and Kos are back, and Mavro was back in training too.

Also, Maitland-Niles will be important in our defense because he can fill in on both sides. Bellerin and Monreal are injured, but with AMN we still have two fit fullbacks, and one backup for each flank.
Was Mavro in the training pictures?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom