• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal vs Middlesbrough | 10/01/04

gooner

First Of all, I would just like to reflect on yesterday’s performance against Everton. Arsenal really do have to learn how to keep the lead, and kill the game off and that is the main difference between Man utd and Arsenal. When man utd get a chance they are ruthless and make sure that when they are 1 – 0 up they go for more. Look at yesterday. They were 2 – 0 up at half time to a good Bolton side and they could have had a few more. The second half Bolton piled on the pressure and got one goal back, but man utd held out because they had that crucial second goal.

We took an undeserved lead through Kanu, and Cole saved one off the line and Rooney missed a sitter. Then in the 75th minute Martyn takes a long goal kick, and Ferguson beat Cygan to the header too easily, Cole made a mistake as he should have cleared it and Jeffers took a good shot and it was probably better than any shot I have seen him take at Arsenal which Lehmann does well to save, and Radzinski was there to make sure he puts in with a good finish. Just before they scored Henry had a golden chance to finish the game off as it was him and Kanu against one defender, but he hesitated and took too long. Henry is a great player, don’t get me wrong, but sometimes I wish he would just take a shot himself if he was in a position like yesterday.

Middlesboro are a very good team and although they have recently been getting a bad name for being a boring football team that cannot score this will not be an easy match. This will be our first match against them this month, as we have to play them another three times after this match. We beat them 4-0 at the Riverside earlier on this season when we probably played the best football of the season for the first half hour of the game. We were quick, direct and critical and very scary on the counter attack in the match, and that is when Arsenal are at their best. Another thing about boro is that Mclaren is their manager and will want to do his mate Ferguson a favour by taking three points off us.

Below is a list of their key players in my view:

Juninho + Mendieta – key men 1
Job + Nemeth – Key Men 2
Mills – Key Man 3
Southgate + Ehiough – Key Men 4
Schwarzer – Key Man 5

Boro will come to Highbury with confidence after getting a good win against Fulham at home. Below is the best team line up I think Wenger should put out:

Lehmann

Lauren Campbell Keown Cole

Ljungberg Vieira Edu Pires

Kanu Henry

I heard Toure is injured so I would put Lauren at right back. Cygan was very poor yesterday and I would rather have Keown because he is so solid. I would also bring in Edu as we will need his creativity. But Wenger will probably go with:

Lehmann

Lauren Campbell Cygan Cole

Ljungberg Vieira Gilberto Pires

Kanu Henry

I really hope we win this match as we will need it as a morale booster but it will be very difficult. Also Man utd take on Newcastle and I have three different scenarios about the way this match can go:

1. Man utd beat them like men against boys

2. Newcastle attempt to play against them and hold on for the draw

3. Newcastle pressure them and cracks appear in their (Man utd’s) defence and Newcastle take the win

I really want Newcastle to beat them but experience is key in these kinds of matches and Man utd have more of it, so Shearer, Speed and Given will have to up their performance to another level to bring confidence to the team. Newcastle are not a team I would personally like to play right now because they were brilliant against Southampton and Dyer, Robert and Shearer are all on fire, but I bet you they will bend over for Man utd and with Bramble in Newcastle’s defence I can easily see Scholes and RVN exploiting him.

Anyway, we need to worry about own match and I hope we beat Boro to get our confidence back!!!

Come On You Gunners!!!!

Tom

Yes we need a good win against 'Boro, hopefully some early goals for us and 3-0 at half-time. I think we will create enough chances for this to happen we'll just have to take them which I think we will - we are due a good win.

As for Man U - Newcastle, well I'd like to think that Newcastle can get a draw there and if they show the same application as they did against us at Highbury they are capable of at least a draw. Unfortunately Newcastle (like most Northern teams) generally roll over at Old Trafford and like you say with the likes of Bramble in defence, Scholes and RVN will have a field day!

As long as WE win I'll be happy, we can take care of Man U ourselves!

patrick42uk

Established Member
exactly. we dont need any favours from newcastle. so what if they get beat? man utd still have 17 games to go which incllude chelsea liverpool us and away to man city. there is a long way to go still.

good review however

gooner

How comes many Arsenal fans aren't looking forward to this match. Yes it was a dissapointment to lose 2 points to Everton yesterday, but it is still a long season, and everyone needs to get behind the team.

Come on you true Arsenal fans!!!!

Adam

Established Member
I think alot of us fans are exaggerating the dissapointment of the mediocre draws to use them as motivation for the push for the title. Will the team do the same?

Let's see. I think it needs something more drastic for the team to get the same sortof hunger levels that drove us on in 97 and in 01..

i.e. Humiliating loss to Blackburn (Tony Adam's worst day in an Arsenal shirt perhaps) and Anfield 01/02/Newcastle game. What drove desire aswell was Uniteds treble of prem titles the seasons before.

Hopefully we wont have to rely on something to fire us up. It helps for something to, as the unbeaten runs in 97 and 01 showed.

Complacency is human nature in football. There are ways of leading from the front that eradicate it a little bit, but it always remains a seed. We will come from behind.

Hopefully.

zerofeel

am pretty sure the players will bounce back from that disappointing draw with everton..its not like Arsenal to sit and mope around lamenting the on their bad luck ...Boro will most definetely incur the wrath of Henry and gang as they look on to go level on points with MAnure at least for a 24 hour period.MAY the SUPREME being let us win n help Newcastle get at least a draw at OT..

thegame24

Established Member
first of all id like to say newcastle will loose 4 or 5- 1 (shearer the obvious scorer as hes the only one who plays like a man)
when havnt newcastle bent over for man u? they even lost when they were title challengers.

second of all im glad gilberto is coming back cause hes been on of our best mids and now nobody can blame him for the draws since we done it again with him not playing. il also be happy if edu plays.

we wil probably win this match 3-0.

thierrys_girl

Established Member
We have to be positive and look forward to our game againest Boro.

Losing our 1-0 lead will (hopefully) make our players bounce back in this game. I think in the back of the players minds was the defeat from last season and maybe they were afraid that it would happen again, i know thats no excuse for dropping our lead and i dont want to see that again.

I expect to see alot of Arsenal domination in this game and i hope we can get back to playing like ourselves.

Also, a plus for our boys, i'll be watching LIVE for the first time since the Tottenham game. I hope i will be good luck and my neighbours better watch out cause there will be lots of yelling (at my tv) from 1:55am EST (15:00pm GMT) until the end of the game.

I dont want to hear anymore talk like 'oh we have lost the title' or '3 points is to big a gap between man u and us, we will never be able to close it' because gooners are not supposed to think like that. The race for the title is not over until the end, not half way through the season with 18 games left.

Great write up as usual by Gooner, i enjoy reading it before every game.

CloudWalker

We need to beat Boro and return to our winning ways to keep the pressure on Fungus n co.
Anyhow, I don't think the draws recently are not too bad, at least we are picking up some pts. I believe it is a temporary thing and I am sure we will improve and start our winning championship run. We ran out of steam last year. Thierry and Wenger 's idea of taking one thing at a time is the right attitude - winning match by match.

Go arsenal go!

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Mendieta's out for Boro which is a big boost for us coz he's undoubtedly one of the finest players in Europe. Ricketts and Greening are also out for Boro, Schwarzer's got a back problem and is rated 50/50.
This is a must win game. We can't slip further behind United. I know there are still 18 games to go but United don't often relinquish leads. We need a good start. An early goal will force Boro to attack us. I hope its not one of those frustrating Highbury games where we struggle to break down a very defence-minded side, who will happily settle for a point.

Mark

Established Member
man u will certainly beat newcastle so we are gonna really have to win this one and by more than one goal preferably.

quattro

we're going to win. that last draw is different from the others we've had this season. this is where we start upping the ante.

as for newcastle and man u... who knows? maybe robert can score miracle goals like he did against the Sp**s :angel

Double_H

Established Member
Guys If we Win the Next 4 games including This One The League is Ours ( Inshalllah )

anyways i Think its Gonna Be 3-1 HenrY Hatrick

orion

Looking forward to seeing this one, one thing for sure we need to step up our game, the team is maybe feeling a bit strained because playing so many games lately. I actually think we should get Pennant back to allow Freddie and Bobby to take a rest once in a while cause freshness is something you need in a team. Hopefully we'll come good against Boro. Good Luck Gunners!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom