• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal vs Middlesbrough | 10/01/04

Andrew

That game was a real walk in the park. Our players were barely in 3rd gear the whole game but we still did it easy... mainly thanks to the pathetic performance of boro... easily the worst by any opposition team in the league this season against us.

I won't give ratings, but overall I thought Gilberto was back to his best and really helped make our win so easy. He was left right and centre and was there to help stop just about every attack from boro. Lauren and Ljungberg play too much out of posisition, particularly when it was still 0-0, boro could just walk up their left wing without being challenged. Ali showed great potential, pity about his injury though. Kanu played well when he came on. Cygan was very solid, probably even better than Campbell apart from some poor passes early on. And Pires and Henry played well, not at their best though. Cole was very solid as well, and seemed one of the few who was putting in 100%. No idea who was MOTM though, probably give it to either Henry, Pires or Gilberto.

Good result, but I hope that it doesn't make the players feel that this sort of performance will be good enough. Middlesbrough were just so poor.

Jinn

Established Member
The Premier said:
I just caught some highlights of your game today. I hope the London constabulary track down the sniper that felled Vieira in the penalty box. Shouldn't be too difficult, as I'm sure the sniper had to use an elephant gun to down such a physical, tough, influential mid-fielder with a single shot!

You must be blind. His trailing leg was completely taken out.

In Rugby you can make people fall over simply by tapping their trailing foot - an incoming boot will have a similar effect, albeit more effective. :wink:

Andrew

Jinn said:
The Premier said:
I just caught some highlights of your game today. I hope the London constabulary track down the sniper that felled Vieira in the penalty box. Shouldn't be too difficult, as I'm sure the sniper had to use an elephant gun to down such a physical, tough, influential mid-fielder with a single shot!

In Rugby you can make people fall over simply by tapping their trailing foot - an incoming boot will have a similar effect, albeit more effective. :wink:

I must admit, at first I thought it was no way a penalty. But then I saw the replay and yes, it was a clear penalty.

n_henry

Andrew said:
Jinn said:
The Premier said:

I must admit, at first I thought it was no way a penalty. But then I saw the replay and yes, it was a clear penalty.

I thought it wasn't a penalty either at first...Paddy seemed to go down a bit too theatrically. But the replays show it was definitely a penalty.

I enjoyed watching this game at 2am in the morning - was quite worth it. :D We hardly exerted ourselves, but Boro never got into the game. ;)

Paddy's looking much better now, Lauren...well, he was a bit rusty, but not too bad. Ali showed very good promise - it was a shame he didn't score inside the 1st minute, but he seems to fit into our game well. :D

thierrys_girl

Established Member
n_henry said:
Andrew said:

I thought it wasn't a penalty either at first...Paddy seemed to go down a bit too theatrically. But the replays show it was definitely a penalty.

I enjoyed watching this game at 2am in the morning - was quite worth it. :D We hardly exerted ourselves, but Boro never got into the game. ;)

neither did i, it didn't look like a penalty at first but after seeing the replay i was convinced it was.

i also enjoyed watchin it at 2 in the morning,well worth it. I nearly fell asleep on the sofa waiting for it to start, but once it did i couldn't get the smile off my face and my eyes were wide open the whole time.

n_henry

thierrys_girl said:
n_henry said:
Andrew said:

neither did i, it didn't look like a penalty at first but after seeing the replay i was convinced it was.

i also enjoyed watchin it at 2 in the morning,well worth it. I nearly fell asleep on the sofa waiting for it to start, but once it did i couldn't get the smile off my face and my eyes were wide open the whole time.

:lol: Ah, the difficulties of being an Aussie gooner. :D

Ridge

Andrew said:
but overall I thought Gilberto was back to his best and really helped make our win so easy. He was left right and centre and was there to help stop just about every attack from boro.
rarely hear comments like this but its true. :)

Jinn

Established Member
Yes, Gilberto cleans up without flourish. Just motors around, picking up loose balls and winning tackles.

When he's playing well, you don't notice him because he passes to others.

Soler

Established Member
n_henry said:
:lol: Ah, the difficulties of being an Aussie gooner. :D

That'd make for a great book. Fever Pitch, Australian Edition. :D

That was one of the most entertaining matches I've seen. From the Henry celebration, to the Mills taunting, then the four goals, the Henry nutmeg in the last minute, and Edu and Titi belting shots into the North Bank. Even Lauren had a shot!

What a night.

johe

Jinn said:
Yes, Gilberto cleans up without flourish. Just motors around, picking up loose balls and winning tackles.

I agree, and for those of you critisising his passing, it's a whole lot better then Ljungberg's, and we don't give him a hard time about it do we?

jc8gooner

Gilberto played welll yesterday, but, imo I would still be tempted if I was Wenger to keep rotating the midfield partnership with Vieira, as he has done a bit recently. Maybe give Edu a game at Villa and see how he does?

JazzG

Established Member
johe said:
Jinn said:

I agree, and for those of you critisising his passing, it's a whole lot better then Ljungberg's, and we don't give him a hard time about it do we?

Probably because he works his bollocks off and scores goals.

jc8gooner

I don't really think that there's much to criticise about Freddie's passing anyway. Its pretty good. Not only has his general passing been fine, he has got two assists recently-one against Leeds and one against Everton, which was a superb, Bergkamp-esque, pass.

zerofeel

My vote goes to Viera...so commanding in midfield...hes becoming more influential as each game goes by..and gilberto is much more confident when viera is playing well..and its hard not to give a shout out to Henry...a great team player and fast becoming a massive influence to the positivity of the team..3 cheers to Arsenal

johe

JazzG said:
johe said:
Jinn said:

Probably because he works his bollocks off and scores goals.

Ok :eek:ops:

So does Gilberto, despite being in a more defensive position.
I actually meant giving him a hard time about the passing, not his overall ability.

Top Bottom