• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal vs Middlesbrough | 22/08/04

gooner

First Of all, I would just like to reflect on yesterday’s performance against Everton. I thought the Arsenal team were very focused and you cannot ask more than a 4 – 1 win on an opening day match especially away. I thought three players stood out for me the most.

The first player was Bergkamp who looks like a different player, as he was playing some sublime through balls, and also looked very dangerous and scored a good goal.

The second player was Cesc, who I think is definitely one to look out for, although he is still very young. He does a lot of the simple things beautifully, and is not phased to play at the premiership level at all. I thought he played a brilliant pass to Henry when Henry just had to beat the defender, but he overdone it and the chance went in the second half. People were saying that Gravesen will eat Cesc, but Cesc even though Gravesen was being very aggressive on him won the battle easily, and robbed the Danish monster many times in the centre.

The third player was Reyes, who is starting to frighten me a lot. Before he came to the premiership, people who watch the La Liga were telling me that he is most dangerous when he runs at defenders as he has excellent close control, and very good skills, and it was their for everyone to look at yesterday, and wasn’t it nice for him to score a headed goal from a cross which is very rare at Arsenal.

I thought I should also give a special mention to Ljungberg who made so many runs, and I personally think he must be one of the top hardest working Arsenal players, and it was nice to see him on the score sheet once again.

I know it was a good result, but it was against a depleted Everton side although I must say I didn’t like their tactics at all, as they were going in very hard, especially in some circumstances where they were getting frustrated as were outplaying them.

Anyway, this Sunday we take on Middlesborough and this match is guaranteed to be difficult, but the performance from Arsenal will mainly depend on their condition from these stupid, useless midweek friendlies, which mainly makes the players tired, or they come back injured.

Boro played fairly good against Newcastle at home for their first game, and Parlour looked like he has fitted it perfectly with Boateng. They also looked very dangerous with Mendieta and Zenden on the wings. I personally think this battle will be won in midfield, and it will be a hard test for Cesc if Wenger decides to play him, but one that no doubt the youngster will be relishing.

They also have some dangerous strikers in Jimmy Floyd, Viduka and Job, and the whole back four will have to be on their top game. Another thing about boro is that Mclaren is their manager and he will want to do his mate Ferguson a favour by taking three points off us.

Below is a list of their key players in my view:

JFH + Viduka – key Men 1
Parlour + Boateng – Key Men 2
Zenden + Mendieta – Key Men 3
Southgate + Ehiougu – Key Men 4
Schwarzer – Key Man 5

Wenger has got a very hard scenario, as whether to play Reyes on the left wing who is looking very dangerous, or leave him out and put Pires on the left wing, or even replace Bergkamp who is playing brilliantly with Reyes up front, and Pires on the left wing. It’s a nice scenario in a way, but it also a difficult scenario, and one I would like to be in. Below is the best team line up I think Wenger should put out:

Lehmann

Lauren Cygan Toure Cole

Ljungberg Cesc/ Flamini Gilberto Reyes

Bergkamp Henry

The reason why I would play Reyes is because he just has to be in starting 11 in my choice, and I would take off either Reyes, Bergkamp or Henry depending on who is not having a good game and replace him for Pires at Half time or a little while into the second half.

I personally think this will a fairly tough match and McLaren will want to get one over the gunners, but hopefully the gunners will prevail with all three points.

Mark

Established Member
Good preview again, gooner. After a lot of thought, I've decided I'd like this lineup out there against boro...

Lehmann

Lauren Toure Cygan Cole

Pires Gilberto Cesc Reyes

Bergkamp Henry

Subs: 1. Almunia 2. van Persie 3. Ljungberg 4. Flamini 5. Hoyte

The way Pires, Reyes and Bergkamp are positioned on there is not necessarily where they will be playing, but that would be my best guess. It could easily be Reyes upfront with Henry, Pires on the left and Bergkamp on the right or something like that. Those three will move around a lot so I don't think it matters where they start.

It was difficult to drop Freddie after he played so well against Everton, but Pires needs the match fitness and Freddie could still come on off the bench and then start the next match against Blackburn.

Boro will be a lot more difficult than Everton were. They've got a very good team, hopefully the fact that we have such a great record against them will give us the psychological edge. I think we will manage and win 2-0. Henry and Fabregas with the goals. :D

beanz

I'm looking forward to this match and barring injuries, Arsène should field the same starting 11. It'll be a much sterner test of the team and Cesc than Everton were able to provide.
I was a bit out with my prediction on Sunday of a 3-0 Reyes hatrick, but I'll say we'll win by 2 clear goals this time. :mrgreen:

MightyArsenal

I dont think cesc will be fazed by the challenge, lets not forget he played against man utd and was not overshadowed.
Lets just hope parlour doesnt go in with a bad tackle..we all know hes capable of it :shock:

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Interesting problem for Arsène, I'm sure he'd like Bobby back in the side, but at the expense of who? I guess that's where the money's earnt. I don't see how Arsène can justify dropping any of the front four, but if there is to be a change, I'd also like tosee Bobby in for Freddie- Jose and Dennis are on fire and he won't drop Thierry.

Side note- bit wary this weekend, Viduka and JFH have both scored some painful goals against us before..

brianfrance

Established Member
I won't be surprised to see the same lineup, but maybe Reyes will partner Titi upfront and Bobby start on the left
Wait and see;
Anyway I hope a few minutes on the pitch for our mullet, Flamini and Van Persie.

asajoseph

Established Member
IMHO you just can't leave out Pires. He's consistently been one of our top performers, year after year.

Mark

Established Member
Rupert said:
Lehmann

Lauren KOLO cygan cole

fred gilb vieira pires

reyes henry

I THINK!

Vieira is injured for this match but should return for the Blackburn game hopefully.

kel varnsen

Established Member
Re: Arsenal V Middlesborough

gooner said:
First Of all, I would just like to reflect on yesterday?s performance against Everton. I thought the Arsenal team were very focused and you cannot ask more than a 4 ? 1 win on an opening day match especially away. I thought three players stood out for me the most.

The first player was Bergkamp who looks like a different player, as he was playing some sublime through balls, and also looked very dangerous and scored a good goal.

The second player was Cesc, who I think is definitely one to look out for, although he is still very young. He does a lot of the simple things beautifully, and is not phased to play at the premiership level at all. I thought he played a brilliant pass to Henry when Henry just had to beat the defender, but he overdone it and the chance went in the second half. People were saying that Gravesen will eat Cesc, but Cesc even though Gravesen was being very aggressive on him won the battle easily, and robbed the Danish monster many times in the centre.

The third player was Reyes, who is starting to frighten me a lot. Before he came to the premiership, people who watch the La Liga were telling me that he is most dangerous when he runs at defenders as he has excellent close control, and very good skills, and it was their for everyone to look at yesterday, and wasn?t it nice for him to score a headed goal from a cross which is very rare at Arsenal.

I thought I should also give a special mention to Ljungberg who made so many runs, and I personally think he must be one of the top hardest working Arsenal players, and it was nice to see him on the score sheet once again.

I know it was a good result, but it was against a depleted Everton side although I must say I didn?t like their tactics at all, as they were going in very hard, especially in some circumstances where they were getting frustrated as were outplaying them.

Anyway, this Sunday we take on Middlesborough and this match is guaranteed to be difficult, but the performance from Arsenal will mainly depend on their condition from these stupid, useless midweek friendlies, which mainly makes the players tired, or they come back injured.

Boro played fairly good against Newcastle at home for their first game, and Parlour looked like he has fitted it perfectly with Boateng. They also looked very dangerous with Mendieta and Zenden on the wings. I personally think this battle will be won in midfield, and it will be a hard test for Cesc if Wenger decides to play him, but one that no doubt the youngster will be relishing.

They also have some dangerous strikers in Jimmy Floyd, Viduka and Job, and the whole back four will have to be on their top game. Another thing about boro is that Mclaren is their manager and he will want to do his mate Ferguson a favour by taking three points off us.

Below is a list of their key players in my view:

JFH + Viduka ? key Men 1
Parlour + Boateng ? Key Men 2
Zenden + Mendieta ? Key Men 3
Southgate + Ehiougu ? Key Men 4
Schwarzer ? Key Man 5

Wenger has got a very hard scenario, as whether to play Reyes on the left wing who is looking very dangerous, or leave him out and put Pires on the left wing, or even replace Bergkamp who is playing brilliantly with Reyes up front, and Pires on the left wing. It?s a nice scenario in a way, but it also a difficult scenario, and one I would like to be in. Below is the best team line up I think Wenger should put out:

Lehmann

Lauren Cygan Toure Cole

Ljungberg Cesc/ Flamini Gilberto Reyes

Bergkamp Henry

The reason why I would play Reyes is because he just has to be in starting 11 in my choice, and I would take off either Reyes, Bergkamp or Henry depending on who is not having a good game and replace him for Pires at Half time or a little while into the second half.

I personally think this will a fairly tough match and McLaren will want to get one over the gunners, but hopefully the gunners will prevail with all three points.

viduka is suspended...

easy win; boro is overrated.

kanuuu

Established Member
asajoseph said:
IMHO you just can't leave out Pires. He's consistently been one of our top performers, year after year.

Ditto, criminal to leave out a fully fit Bobby.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
why is Viduka suspended?

and last year, i would have agreed that 'Boro are overrated, but they made some quality high-profile signings.... JFB & Viduka are proven decent strikers (both of who have scored against us) and Parlour will be hungry to show his old team what he is made of.... and that doesnt take into account Mendieta who is great on his day, and Zenden isnt too bad either....

i think this will be 2-1 (Arsenal)... dunno the scorers though....

turtle

Boro is much better than Everton, they are not overrated. JFH and Job will provide a tough game for Cygan. I have trust in Cygan, but I will be more confident if Campbell is playing, who wouldn't. Hopefully we will beat them.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
kanuuu said:
asajoseph said:

Ditto, criminal to leave out a fully fit Bobby.

We did alright without him on Sunday!

Besides which, I think it's equally criminal to leave out any of the front four from the Everton game

ethanen

Lehmann

Lauren Toure Cygan Cole

Ljungberg Gilberto Edu?(Cesc) Pires

Bergkamp Reyes

I know its a crime leaving out Henry but he's not impressed me at all since we secured the championship at WHL (no im not bashing my own players)

Latest posts+

Top Bottom