• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Brighton vs Arsenal | Tuesday December 29th | KO: 18:00 GMT | Amazon Prime

MOTM

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Rice

Self-Proclaimed Nice Guy
Partey and Bissouna would be a lovely double pivot. Excellent security in the middle of the pitch and would allow us to compete physically as well as adding some technical control on games. The wider impact would be allowing both full backs to start higher up the pitch as they don’t have to be as concerned about Xhakas turning cycle being about 3 miles wide or El Neny/Ceballos sloppy mistakes. As a result of high full backs you get the front 4 closer together = more likely chance creation.

I’m not saying it’s perfect or other players couldn’t come in, but he’d be a rock in our midfield.

Bloodbather

Established Member

I don't think he would start alongside Partley unless it's against another top 6 team. He's a proper DM with extreme calmness under press and can distribute relatively well.

Playing with both against other teams would take away a lot from our attack.

Disagree. Bissouma is originally an all-around CM, not a defensive midfielder. Brighton uses him in that role and he does well, but there's more to his game. He's very similar to Partey in that regard. Both are more creative and offensively capable than it is commonly thought. You'd cover a ton of ground with them as your double pivot, you'd just need a creative AM ahead of them.

Bloodbather

Established Member

A Partey-Bissouma double pivot covers a lot of ground. They are both rock solid defensively, both can beat the press, both can advance the ball with dribbles and passes. It's about as well-rounded a midfield duo you can hope for. Really, the only problem is that they are both from countries that usually qualify for AFCON and would leave us vulnerable in midfield for a month every other year. You'd have to have proper back-ups for them to make it work. Elneny would be off to AFCON, too.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

A Partey-Bissouma double pivot covers a lot of ground. They are both rock solid defensively, both can beat the press, both can advance the ball with dribbles and passes. It's about as well-rounded a midfield duo you can hope for. Really, the only problem is that they are both from countries that usually qualify for AFCON and would leave us vulnerable in midfield for a month every other year. You'd have to have proper back-ups for them to make it work. Elneny would be off to AFCON, too.
Like wtf is going on here. What is it with Bissouma that makes everyone cream their pants? Genuinely don't get it, so please explain it to me.

He looks good and comfortable on the ball, but makes very little use of it. He's worse than any of our mids at progressing the ball, both through passes and carries. And Brighton have more possession than us on average (last night's game excluded).

He seems to have some tempo and intensity to his game, that our current crop lacks, but again - he makes little use of it. He's a pressing merchant.

Anyone who's calling Elneny a sideways player and is disappointed with that aspect of his game, should not want Bissouma. That's literally the definition of being a hypocrite.

cVG1n80.png

Bloodbather

Established Member

He looks good and comfortable on the ball, but makes very little use of it. He's worse than any of our mids at progressing the ball, both through passes and carries. And Brighton have more possession than us on average (last night's game excluded).

There's a very simple explanation, Brighton uses him as a defensive midfielder when he's an all-around central midfielder. He doesn't have the freedom to move forward. He was a much more forward-thinking player at Lille.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
This thread is pure whitelisting anyways, right ?
Some loose rumors quite a while back, but something you find for every single player in the world with us.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

There's a very simple explanation, Brighton uses him as a defensive midfielder when he's an all-around central midfielder. He doesn't have the freedom to move forward. He was a much more forward-thinking player at Lille.
That's a valid point. He'd still be on Ceballos level stats wise, if we compare Bissouma's last season at Lille with Ceballos this year.

I just think we could, and should, do better.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Like wtf is going on here. What is it with Bissouma that makes everyone cream their pants? Genuinely don't get it, so please explain it to me.

He seems to have some tempo and intensity to his game, that our current crop lacks, but again - he makes little use of it. He's a pressing merchant.

Anyone who's calling Elneny a sideways player and is disappointed with that aspect of his game, should not want Bissouma. That's literally the definition of being a hypocrite.

cVG1n80.png
He is much stronger and faster than el neny, he doesn’t lose the ball and he don’t get pushed around. Comparing him to el neny is an insult. We won yesterday because they had no attackers playing.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

He is much stronger and faster than el neny, he doesn’t lose the ball and he don’t get pushed around. Comparing him to el neny is an insult. We won yesterday because they had no attackers playing.
Fake news. This is exactly it. Everyone seems to think he's a superior player when it comes to possession, but this is completely wrong. Maybe he is, but there's literally nothing to show for it.

Elneny gets dispossessed and mishandles the ball far less than Bissouma, yet sees more of the ball. He has a higher percentage of successful dribbles (although attempts much fewer). He receives the ball successfully at a higher rate than Bissouma while being the target of more passes. He has more carries and passes respectilvely than Bissouma and has a higher % of progressive distance both when it comes to passes as well as carries.

Bissouma is much better at tackling, intercepting and pressing and slightly outranks Elneny on passes into the final 3rd per 90 (4.59 vs 4.23), passes into the box per 90 (0.74 vs 0.52) and key passes per 90 (0.41 vs 0.31).

And before anyone comes with the argument of Bissouma being played as a DM and not Elneny that's not really true, judging by where they are in contact with the ball.

Like I'm sort of riding out to Elneny's defence here, but that's not really my aim. I definitely think we should strengthen midfield A LOT. But Bissouma, by all metrics, isn't the solution.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Fake news. This is exactly it. Everyone seems to think he's a superior player when it comes to possession, but this is completely wrong. Maybe he is, but there's literally nothing to show for it.

Elneny gets dispossessed and mishandles the ball far less than Bissouma, yet sees more of the ball. He has a higher percentage of successful dribbles (although attempts much fewer). He receives the ball successfully at a higher rate than Bissouma while being the target of more passes. He has more carries and passes respectilvely than Bissouma and has a higher % of progressive distance both when it comes to passes as well as carries.

Bissouma is much better at tackling, intercepting and pressing and slightly outranks Elneny on passes into the final 3rd per 90 (4.59 vs 4.23), passes into the box per 90 (0.74 vs 0.52) and key passes per 90 (0.41 vs 0.31).

And before anyone comes with the argument of Bissouma being played as a DM and not Elneny that's not really true, judging by where they are in contact with the ball.

Like I'm sort of riding out to Elneny's defence here, but that's not really my aim. I definitely think we should strengthen midfield A LOT. But Bissouma, by all metrics, isn't the solution.
I dont need stats to tell me el neny is good player or a player I have watched many times not being better. Bissouma is better player than el neny and xhaka clearly. We lack pace and strength in our midfield and cant recover much. We really using stats to argue el neny being good player? Also Bissouma is capable of more than he is doing at brighton. I can see that. El neny nor xhaka is capable of doing more than they can

Yesterday el neny had smith rowe, saka, martinelli and auba ahead of himself. Bissouma had Jahanbakhsh, Grob, Mcallister and propper. That was brighton b team we played statistically dead even game in every sense. we scored on our chance and they didnt

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐

cVG1n80.png
I think this says more about how you shouldn't take stats as gospel rather than anything else. You talk about him being on this year's Ceballos level last season but thats just untrue. Ceballos has been horrendous this season and Bissouma had his break out season last year.

The eye test is better than anything, stats should supplement that not take over it.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

I think this says more about how you shouldn't take stats as gospel rather than anything else. You talk about him being on this year's Ceballos level last season but thats just untrue. Ceballos has been horrendous this season and Bissouma had his break out season last year.

The eye test is better than anything, stats should supplement that not take over it.
Its like when liverpool signed wijnaldum and some people said wth and used his relegated stats for newcastle to why he is average. Funny enough Bissouma is linked to replace him at Liverpool. Some people cant just watch a player for smaller team and just him on his attribute and needs to be shown stats to see if the player is good. I think he is a very solid player. One of the signs of a good midfielder is how much time he has on the ball and how other midfielders approach him. Not once did I see our midfielders rush him yesterday.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Its like when liverpool signed wijnaldum and some people said wth and used his relegated stats for newcastle to why he is average. Funny enough Bissouma is linked to replace him at Liverpool. Some people cant just watch a player for smaller team and just him on his attribute and needs to be shown stats to see if the player is good. I think he is a very solid player. One of the signs of a good midfielder is how much time he has on the ball and how other midfielders approach him. Not once did I see our midfielders rush him yesterday.
He does everything Xhaka can't in terms of being a midfield anchorman. Xhaka only beats him at long passing from what I've seen. Bissouma is more press resistant, quicker, agile, clever at defending, better ball carrier and he can execute quick passing better than him as Xhaka is apparently allergic to releasing the ball quickly.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

He does everything Xhaka can't in terms of being a midfield anchorman. Xhaka only beats him at long passing from what I've seen. Bissouma is more press resistant, quicker, agile, clever at defending, better ball carrier and he can execute quick passing better than him as Xhaka is apparently allergic to releasing the ball quickly.

Despite this being youtube, there is no way xhaka, ceballos or el neny has this level of strength and recovering ability. He is also clearly quicker than them and can blow past players. I look at McKennie at juve and he became a starter for juve because he can do things none of their midfielders can do. Pace, power and ability to recover the ball. And he is benching technicians like Arthur. We are crying for legs in midfield. Arteta has adopted to this by telling el neny and xhaka to drop deep. he gave up on them having the recovery needed to press higher because once they are done they are out of the game

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

I referenced his last season at Lille, where he had more attacking responsibilities and was more free roaming, in a far less intense league.

I’ve also mentioned in other posts how he does pass the eye test, which is why I think it’s an interesting one.

You say yourself that stats should complement eye test but for Bissouma they don’t. At all. Unless we’re looking for a defensive expert that does little else. Imho that’s not what we need, we need someone who is elite at progressing the ball quickly. Bissouma has nothing to show for that, eye test included.

Jack_the_boy

Definitely Not Manberg
I like Bissouma but we have Partey in that role. What we need most is a creative AM. ESR can’t be depended on, and we have no one else besides him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom