• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Crystal Palace vs Arsenal | Saturday 11th January | KO: 12:30pm | BT Sport

Result?

• Crystal Palace Win

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • Arsenal Win

Votes: 59 76.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
the first objective of Arteta's reign seems to have been achieved, and we are no longer drifting south

So on to consolidation, to be followed by a steady climb up the table, with a view to finishing just outside a Europa place

Any achievement in this year's EL would be a bonus

RUS arsenal

Established Member
Some observations I made from the 1st half:

-Nice possession but we had trouble transitioning into the attacking 3rd though when we did get in there, we created opportunities.

-Özil made some nice key passes but far too many times he didn't continue to support the attack after his initial pass by moving to get open to give the ball carrier a passing option. Özil needs to start making attacking runs into space again as he did under Wenger.

-Some flashes of promise from Pepe but I expect more from a club-record signing, far too many mistakes.

-How Ayew avoided a booking is beyond me, especially after that stamp on Torreira's foot.

-Torreira is so important to how we play in Arteta's system. Hope his injury is not serious.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Watched it, thought it wasn't quite as bad as I feared it would be. Small issues were the lack of proper chance creation during our period of dominance. We were not carving out enough clearcut chances, and that's really the danger of having such an isolated front 3 like Pepe, Laca and Auba altogether with Özil in behind. Pepe at least carries the ball well, but they need someone more ball-dominant for Özil to bounce off of.

Laca was actually OK in the game but he's so lacking sharpness in front of goal. Auba's tackle was poorly timed and I'm 50/50 on whether it was red or yellow but a red is fair depending on the perceived recklessness. What wasn't fair was the amount of ****ty tackles we had to withstand yet again with little punishment. It's become a farce now.

I liked AMN and Torreira in this game. AMN is making me eat my words on this RB thing. I'd still rather see him in midfield but I'm super happy he's making it work where he is now. I hope Torreira isn't out for long at all. Didn't really like Xhaka's performance in this game. Not because he was terrible but because whenever the tide turns against us in a game, he's one of the first to fold. Luiz and Özil also didn't do too well, although they both combined quite nicely for the goal.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
They basically got back into the game by kicking the crap out of us and getting our inform mid injured . Insane the referee allowed this ,honestly was like watching a game 10 years ago .

The **** refereeing never really went away, we just weren't any good either and didn't notice.

Reactions: roz

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

The **** refereeing never really went away, we just weren't any good either and didn't notice.

Judging by the lack of English referees on theWorld stage , I'd have to agree , however some of the tackling they put in hasn't been allowed for years , yet we were the ones with the yellow cards .

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
They basically got back into the game by kicking the crap out of us and getting our inform mid injured . Insane the referee allowed this ,honestly was like watching a game 10 years ago .

They just upped the intensity and pushed up the pitch realising we have players who are we and panic.

Our forward players are on an island because of player issues that will not be resolved until we overturn the squad. It doesn't actually matter what Arteta does, because they are pretty much uncoachable.

Our back line are incapable of beating a man and driving forward apart from AMN. So they break lines by passing. The midfield is exactly the same. We have no drive in the centre of the pitch. Torreira and XHaka cannot receive the ball under pressure, they cannot turn, they cannot beat a man and drive into space. The only way they get the ball forward is via passing. So all you need to do to nullify our entire build up is to cut off the passing lanes. That is the first issue.

If we play a line breaking pass. Which happens after a while, the only way we can sustain an attack is if we find someone between the lines in space. Generally Özil has Pepe isn't allowed to move inside. If Özil is in space he can turn and play forward. However if any of our front line apart from Pepe are receiving the ball under and sort of pressure from behind. 9 times out of 10. We lose the ball.

Özil isn't strong enough, Lacazette and Auba simply don't have a good enough first touch. Pepe can hold it but tends to be surrounded when he does so. Lacazette, Özil and Auba also aren't consistent enough to play first time passes. The goal is a combination that could maybe happen once per match. Every other time, Laca would struggle to control it or even find the pass and Özil wouldn't find the space if a team is paying attention to him.

We need a complete overhaul. Has anyone noticed that the only time we draw fouls is when we run with the ball. We don't draw fouls when receiving it. Lacazette and Auba very rarely get fouled from behind because the defender simply comes through and take the ball. Yet look at our defenders constantly fouling strikers. Martinelli draws so many free kicks. In the air, on the ground. He puts his body in the right place when receiving the ball. Nelson, Saka and Pepe are similar.

We need an overhaul.

TornadoTed

Established Member
Last edited:

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Would you guys say the game is worth re-watching after I missed it ?

Obviously a bad result, but was it at least nice to watch in terms of general play ?

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

They just upped the intensity and pushed up the pitch realising we have players who are we and panic.

Our forward players are on an island because of player issues that will not be resolved until we overturn the squad. It doesn't actually matter what Arteta does, because they are pretty much uncoachable.

Our back line are incapable of beating a man and driving forward apart from AMN. So they break lines by passing. The midfield is exactly the same. We have no drive in the centre of the pitch. Torreira and XHaka cannot receive the ball under pressure, they cannot turn, they cannot beat a man and drive into space. The only way they get the ball forward is via passing. So all you need to do to nullify our entire build up is to cut off the passing lanes. That is the first issue.

If we play a line breaking pass. Which happens after a while, the only way we can sustain an attack is if we find someone between the lines in space. Generally Özil has Pepe isn't allowed to move inside. If Özil is in space he can turn and play forward. However if any of our front line apart from Pepe are receiving the ball under and sort of pressure from behind. 9 times out of 10. We lose the ball.

Özil isn't strong enough, Lacazette and Auba simply don't have a good enough first touch. Pepe can hold it but tends to be surrounded when he does so. Lacazette, Özil and Auba also aren't consistent enough to play first time passes. The goal is a combination that could maybe happen once per match. Every other time, Laca would struggle to control it or even find the pass and Özil wouldn't find the space if a team is paying attention to him.

We need a complete overhaul. Has anyone noticed that the only time we draw fouls is when we run with the ball. We don't draw fouls when receiving it. Lacazette and Auba very rarely get fouled from behind because the defender simply comes through and take the ball. Yet look at our defenders constantly fouling strikers. Martinelli draws so many free kicks. In the air, on the ground. He puts his body in the right place when receiving the ball. Nelson, Saka and Pepe are similar.

We need an overhaul.

Actually disagree with most of what you say here , it makes a lot of assuimptions that are debatable , "this guy can do this " , "this guy can't do that " "uncoachable " . Give to the end of the season and we'll get a clearer picture .

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Crystal palace just started pressing high and we struggled because we don't have midfield that great with ball or ball playing defenders. It's big problem that's why we struggled in many games.

That's why yesterday i wanted pepe Özil auba to drop deeper to help us dominate and control but they never did this

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Crystal palace just started pressing high and we struggled because we don't have midfield that great with ball or ball playing defenders. It's big problem that's why we struggled in many games.

That's why yesterday i wanted pepe Özil auba to drop deeper to help us dominate and control but they never did this
We need to totally revamp the midfield. Torreira could be good as the shield/destroyer, but we need a million times better than Xhaka, Özil and Kolasinac (the players immediately around Torreira).

Having said that, improving on Torreira isn't impossible, either.

Pepe needs to be much more reliable in the middle third, too.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Haven't watched this one, but with the current situation with Auba out and Laca just simply unable to score, I'd go with:

Reiss - Martinelli - Pepe
Or
Martinelli - Pepe - Reiss

More pace, much more dangerous on 1on1's hopefully creating a lot of dangerous situations, if one of the three beats a man on the turn

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Haven't watched this one, but with the current situation with Auba out and Laca just simply unable to score, I'd go with:

Reiss - Martinelli - Pepe
Or
Martinelli - Pepe - Reiss

More pace, much more dangerous on 1on1's hopefully creating a lot of dangerous situations, if one of the three beats a man on the turn
Even with laca can't score goals you cant drop him at the moment with auba out 2 games.

roz

Fake News Merchant
Torreira highlighted just how important he is for us yesterday. Different team without him playing.

100% red card for Aubameyang although there was obviously no intention there. I do wonder whether it would have been given had it been a palace player that made the challenge. Cant quite remember a team home and away benefiting from so many decisions against us. Maybe united back in the day but still

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom