• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Everton vs Arsenal | 15/08/04

Sonic Youth

gilberto is one of our most important players
just because he doesn't do trick or score wondergoals doesn't mean he's not important for the team, he does all the dirty work and makes others play better.
a midfield with paddy and cesc is impossible. it's either gilberto and cesc or gilberto and paddy. that's how important he is. weird some people still don't realise that after two years.

JazzG

Established Member
KlurgsSporg said:
he is a good passer of the ball but today he was just not putting thierry through or how titi likes to be played, agree??

Henry didn't look lively in the match and wasn't his usual self and didn't make that many good runs if you know what I mean.

patrick42uk said:
only misplace pass i saw was an attempted left footed one long to henry. but it would be harsh to hold that against him. his performance wasnt perfect, but playing with that assurance at 17 is impressive. he can only get better and thats frightening

Exactly, even for a 17 year who has only been here a year he did not look out of place in this side. I've seen Vieira have pretty rough time against Graverson and co in the past but Cesc didn't beat them physically I thought he was more clever with his movement and passing

bobbypires

Established Member
Sonic Youth said:
just because he doesn't do trick or score wondergoals doesn't mean he's not important for the team, he does all the dirty work and makes others play better.
Well, at least another who thinks the same. Gilberto's more important to the team than a lot of people thinks. For example, he helps Pires a lot. And not to mention the central defenders.

Mark

Established Member
Fabregas was brilliant imo. Showed no fear, made good tackles, good passes, good runs. He looks a Premiership player apart form his size, but that will improve. He is much better than Vieira was at 17, so the rest of the Prem better watch out.

stormtrooper

just seen henry on skysports news any one no why henry looked pissed off at the end of the game he was walking off shaking hes head

Mark

Established Member
stormtrooper said:
just seen henry on skysports news any one no why henry looked pissed off at the end of the game he was walking off shaking hes head

I saw that. Probably annoyed because his injury is stopping him from playing at his best right now. I thought he did okay though.

Legend#1

Established Member
First off...

Bergkamp was incredible...didn't tire, superb passing, great movement, great finish, always involved in build ups

Ljungberg...the old Freddie was back, shades of his form from the double season, great goal, nice assist for Reyes, always making great runs into the box, looked very lively

Cesc...what can I say, people saying his passing was poor, give the kid a break, he's 17, bossed the midfield, hussled and harried, made great runs, looked composed on the ball, a future star, didn't miss PV4 at all

Henry...played well in my opinion, was always involved, nice assist for Freddie, good shot for the Pires goal, should have scored himself but that was his first full compeititive game since the Euro's and still has a niggling injury

People give Flamini a chance, he's only just come to the country. that was his first taste of English football and only had 15-20 mins, it's hard enough starting a first game, but coming on and trying to get used to the pace of the game in such a short amount of time is harder, most of the French players that have come here have been the same

All in all great performance, wanted us to keep a clean sheet but their goal was great build up and a great through ball by Gravesen, take nothing away

I'm delighted, TOP OF THE LEAGUE ! :D

Henry's Girl

Mark said:
stormtrooper said:

I saw that. Probably annoyed because his injury is stopping him from playing at his best right now. I thought he did okay though.
maybe he thought we cld have score more
he played well 2day, got 2 assists.

Henry's Girl

patrick42uk said:
bergkamp again, WOW! IMO man of the match. reyes might have to with one more season to get a regular spot up front with bergkamp on this form.
Are they sure the man is not 26yrs old :roll:

He was brilliant, pls extend his contract :)

Arjan

Sonic Youth said:
a midfield with paddy and cesc is impossible. it's either gilberto and cesc or gilberto and paddy. that's how important he is. weird some people still don't realise that after two years.

That is the dutch way of thinking, in for example America it is all about the show and things like tactics are completely forgetten when someone does something spectecular.
In Holland a player like Gilberto gets much more credit, look at Galasek for example. Player of the year in Holland. But as spectecular as the pitch itself.

Isragooner

51173229.jpg

:lol:

MightyArsenal

haha, I find it funny that some people think we have to play gilberto, I dont see why cesc couldnt play with paddy and make our team even better. As good as gilberto is and I know he does a good job for us I cant help but feel vieira/gilberto in the middle aint gonna win us the champions league. We need a player like cesc to pull the strings and not have a water carrier.

Xyan

I will have to disagree though. I too think that Giberto is an important figure in the squad. He guards the defence well, giving Lauren and Ashley the license to flank forward in attack. Without such a holding MC, the full-backs will have more reservation going forward.

Vieira is a box-to-box player. He too guards the defence. But his strength lies in his powerful forward surges. Cesc may be a decent tackler, but his tackles are not as good Giberto... at least not yet. The way I see it, his strength lies in his composure that allows him to chalk up lots of decent through passes.

That means that if Vieira and Cesc plays together, Vieira will have to play Giberto's usual role, hence, we might lose his pure power in attacks.

Vieira/Giberto gives us strength and stability. Giberto/Cesc gives creativity. Vieira/Cesc.. could work but cannot Cesc could cramp Vieira.

Oh, Edu plays like Vieira, so Edu/Vieira work by them alternating between themselves to take turns making forward runs...

Just my opinion...

johe

Very good performance, and I thought Henry had a very good game despite not having much match practice. He was a bit quiet in the beginning, but as he came more into the game, he and Bergkamp played together like only they can.

Bergkamp had an amazing game, he usually does when he's the captain. He scored as captain against Brum last year, in the Community shield, and now this game. He dropped deep and linked up a bit with Cesc, with Gilberto going down in front of the back line, and Reyes roaming up front, thought it worked quite well.

Reyes was very good I thought, although I think he would be even better up front. Good header from Ljungbergs cross, and wasn't scared of running at defenders. Showed some nice dribbles down at the touchline, but got fouled by an Everton defender.

Cole had a quiet game today, linked up well in attack a few times, but does it more when Bob's playing. Didn't really do any mistakes, but has had better games attacking wise.

Cygan looked quite good, made a mistake or two, but no big ones. Struggled a bit with Campbell in early in the first half, but soon found his feet.

Freddie played like we know he can. Showed good touches when he set up Reyes' header, and scored from a good long run. I feel that if he is given the same freedom to roam that he was before last season, he will strike fear into defences once again with his lethal runs. Big thumbs up to Freddie!

Biggest shout goes out to Cesc however, for his fantastic performance in the centre of midfield. We may have seen this good a performance from other players, but certainly not at his age. In the first half he looked assured in his passing, made some good tackles, and positioning. In the second half Bergkamp dropped deeper at times, Gilberto way back, and Cesc looked like a pure attacking midfielder. He made a few surging runs through the middle and basically caused a bit of havoc in Everton's defence, as they didn't know who to have their eye on. I think I need write no more, everyone saw what an astounding performance he had.

Flamini was a bit poor, but that was to be expected. He's come from French Ligue Un, and it's a big jump up in terms of quality and pace in the Premiership. Pennant didn't really set the world on fire either, but he worked quite hard in defence. This makes me all the more sure that Freddie is the way to go though. Good thing is that Pennant will push Freddie to perform.

Lehmann didn't put a foot, or any bodypart for that matter, wrong and showed very good handling at times.

I wont write anything about Toure, Pires and Lauren, as they were pretty much as usual except Pires, who was very quiet apart from the goal he scored.

Overall I think it was a very entertaining first half, a bit frustrating from about 60 minutes out in the second half as there was no real playing, just scrapping for loose balls and lots of defensive headers, until Pires' goal with 10 minutes left.

The important thing is we sent out a message to Stamford Bridge and Old Trafford: We've not gotten any worse. :wink:

That turned out longer than I thought. :)

MightyArsenal

Dont you guys remember the last time cesc and vieira played in the middle we won 5-1against wolves, and that was a year ago, cesc is better now. I cant wait to see what wenger decides to do :lol:

patrick42uk

Established Member
wenger will be careful with the amount of games he gives cesc. he knows the dangers asscociated with a giving a very young player too many games too soon. when vieira is fit, i think gilberto will retain his place. but what we have now is very healthy competition in the center meaning we are less vulnerable to injuries in that position has we have been in the past. in two years, i think cesc will easily command a regular starting place. it is likely to be with vieira because i think when he hits 30, he will be less box-box and settle into a gilberto type role.

i hope cesc starts next week though because i desprately want him to score. in the 3 games i'v seen of his against ajax, united and everton, he has had chances and it is only a matter of time before he hits the back of the net.

kronik

I'm suprised that Henry is getting such good ratings. He did well to set up a couple of goals, but lost the ball on many occasions during the game due to a poor touch.

Latest posts

Top Bottom