• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Liverpool vs Arsenal | December 29th | KO: 17:30 | BT Sport

Match Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

scytheavatar

Established Member
That's the main issue for me. Teams far inferior than us would have fared better than us today and that's just not good enough.

You are either overestimating us or underestimating the level of the other PL teams.......... there are not a lot of teams in the PL right now that are "far inferior" to us.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
This is why I wanted to get Allegri - to overcome that hurdle. That being said, we are still by far the biggest club in London, which is one of the top cities in the world, with a huge global fan base.

We still are a very attractive proposition. If the numbers are right we can still attract top quality.
We are not the biggest club in London at the moment. Only in the sense that Nottingham Forest are one of the biggest clubs in England.

We are historically the biggest club in London but at the moment we are third biggest and in danger of staying there. The younger fanbase is shrinking in comparison to Chelsea and Sp**s and will continue to do so whilst they are perceived to be more competitive than us.

Gunnersaurus is not the only dinosaur at the club.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Yet that's exactly Emery's MO and he has been accused of being too conservative at his previous clubs, we've also seen here how conservative he's been against teams we should be crushing.

That's a good point , the way we set up against smaller teams after 10 mins they realise we can be got at .

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

We are not the biggest club in London at the moment. Only in the sense that Nottingham Forest are one of the biggest clubs in England.

We are historically the biggest club in London but at the moment we are third biggest and in danger of staying there. The younger fanbase is shrinking in comparison to Chelsea and Sp**s and will continue to do so whilst they are perceived to be more competitive than us.

Gunnersaurus is not the only dinosaur at the club.

Chelsea I'll grant you as they win trophies but what the hell have Sp*rs done to gain new fans at our expense? Beautiful football once the pressure's off?

Better stick to Arsenal then as it'll be a while before Sp*rs win anything of note :lol:

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
I am really getting fed up with the constant hammering we are suffering against big teams from home or at home, our team is just not good enough when will somebody says enough is enough? Emery has done a good job so far but he needs the full backing of our owner Kroenke who will not support him at all because he didnt with Wenger. We need to accept we are the 5 or 6 big club in England and it will take a long time before we will be back at top level. We are Arsenal and we should aiming higher then we are currently doing.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Unfortunately we've signed abolsutely drosses in xhaka, mustafi, (£70m right there). With that type of money at the time we could've gone for VVD and Kanye. Our recruitment has been poor.

Add Elneny and Perez onto that it makes it 100, add Lacazette who seems to have become a bench player and that's 150 million. Compare that to what Liverpool have spent 150 million on in that time.

Last edited:

I am really getting fed up with the constant hammering we are suffering against big teams from home or at home, our team is just not good enough when will somebody says enough is enough? Emery has done a good job so far but he needs the full backing of our owner Kroenke who will not support him at all because he didnt with Wenger. We need to accept we are the 5 or 6 big club in England and it will take a long time before we will be back at top level. We are Arsenal and we should aiming higher then we are currently doing.
That's not going to happen unfortunately! Kroenke's purse is like a nun 's pantie, it ain't coming off! Believe that.
In Gazidi's press conference when Emery was brought, he said that they were looking to work with someone who would develop the young talent at the club and gradually incorporate them to the first team. We all know that Gazidi's was Kroenke's mouth piece.

Problem was they appointed the wrong person for that, a Favre or that former Monaco manager would transformed this club even with its limited resources!

Right now we seem to be tinkering about with tactics and formations and everything! You'd think that after six months he ought to have his go to formation and his first team! Benching two of your three most expensive and talented players doesn't just make sense to me, especially when their input was important in us going on the unbeaten run we were on.
If this guy is not careful he could start the Mourinho effect with Pogba at Arsenal with Özil and Laca.

I see bad times ahead with the fans if these toothless performances carry on! He is not Wenger who had loyal fans covering his arse when things didn't go to plan.

There is still time for redemption though. I'd say he's got a year and if by then we would still be putting out the same ****ty performances like we did with Soton , Brighton and Pool you can be guaranteed it's gonna get ugly!

MikeVinna

Established Member
The only players we have who would be a part of a league challenging side are Aubameyang, Lacazette, Torreira and maybe Özil.

At Arsenal we always leave massive holes in the squad that need filling. Defence has always been an issue but over the years we’ve also had big problems with midfield (arteta/flamini), centre forward (giroud/welbeck) and now with our wingers(Iwobi/miki). If you’re starting players like that the team will never be good enough..

I’m not sold on Emery. In fact, I think he’s fielded some really poor starting elevens and made some very poor subs in some of the games. However, until he’s given another opportunity to shore up the defence and add a proper winger I’m not sure we can expect more than maybe knicking top 4 from Chelsea/Spuds.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I've just woke up. Thinking 3 1 bad loss horrible. Just realised it was 5 1. No words. Because I can't remember sweet f.a. bad times

Reactions: A_G

CJJ

Established Member
The only players we have who would be a part of a league challenging side are Aubameyang, Lacazette, Torreira and maybe Özil.

At Arsenal we always leave massive holes in the squad that need filling. Defence has always been an issue but over the years we’ve also had big problems with midfield (arteta/flamini), centre forward (giroud/welbeck) and now with our wingers(Iwobi/miki). If you’re starting players like that the team will never be good enough..

I’m not sold on Emery. In fact, I think he’s fielded some really poor starting elevens and made some very poor subs in some of the games. However, until he’s given another opportunity to shore up the defence and add a proper winger I’m not sure we can expect more than maybe knicking top 4 from Chelsea/Spuds.
Fabian Delph was part of a league winning side, so no need to get so gloomy about player quality. (and many more examples)
Sure, you are listing our best players, but that doesn't mean we have to replace the remaining 7. What we need is balance.

If we got a top class LB and a commanding CB like vvd we would be in a good spot cause our defensive performances would likely look better.
Many of the other players would be able to step up their game if we just get the right players in, you don't need to replace the entire thing.

Last edited:
Hopefully Emery will play 4-3-1-2 against Fulham.

Kolo-Mustafi-Sokratis-Maitland
Guendouzi Torreira xhaka
Özil or Iwobi
Lacazette Aubameyang

ptrcopp

Long analysis:

I agree with the moaning on here about the referee during the game. I think both penalties were soft. Someone said we would want the first one, that’s true, but I don’t think it’s one I would moan about after the game. I don’t think I’ve seen a penalty give on the goal line since Eduardo, and especially with the way Salah went down. Being handed a penalty like that with the score as it is and on the stroke of half time the confidence in the team will dip. And I am amazed Mane wasn’t sent off.

However, minus those two penalties, the problems are still there for everyone to see.

As I have said many times, and others, not playing two of our three best players hinders us massively. Maybe Özil is injured, but it’s such a bizarre situation. But if Ramsey is playing alongside Auba, why not Laca? That makes no sense. Ramsey looked best when he worked backward and harried their midfield - not picking it up in pockets of space in the midfield and final third. But that’s exactly what Özil and Laca are good at.

Saying that, I thought we started really well - the first 15 minutes - before the goals. Liverpool were pressed high and gave the ball several times, one of which we scored from, and a couple more where if the players just thought a bit quicker we could have had a decent chance from.

It looked like we were trying to match Liverpool’s formation, switching between a 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 when pressing. Iwobi and AMN would alternate in the midfield to keep a wide defensive shape while also alternating on the press. It worked really well.

But as we have seen this season, for some reason, that what is going well is quite quickly changed. It’s difficult to tell whether it was their first goal that made us more defensive or whether it was because we scored. Either way, as there was 75 minutes to play after their 1st it makes no sense to try and shut them out for the game. There was no need for that anyway because their back 6, inc Fabinho, bar maybe Robertson, looks shaky under pressure.

Our mistakes were unforgivable, though. I think you can forgive Mustafi to some extent because he’s been out for a few weeks and came back into one of the fastest games. But Lichsteiner has been an awful signing. He seems more interested in leaving one on the opposition than he does of actually defending. That’s not the Arsenal way. And when it comes to his actual job, he isn’t very good. You could see from the beginning of this match he was out of place - he was slow in possession, making runs, and getting out of defence. At fault for 1st goal and 3rd goal. In all honesty, I wouldn’t mind seeing Jenks in there for the next couple of games.

But I think this really exposed what we do need. Yes there are issues defensively - a top quality CB is a must. But it highlighted how much we miss Bellerin getting up and down that right side. And it’s not just his pace but his awareness around him. He isn’t caught out like Lich is.

Also, we desperately need better quality in attacking positions. At RW was a player that has played the majority of his games at senior level at DM and FB. And Iwobi also looked lost. Ramsey gave very little, god knows why he was captain. I don’t need to go into too much detail about how bad those three were when Auba had 7 touches in play.

There is only 1 player left from the season Klopp took over who was a starter then and is now - Ferminho. And only three players who regularly feature - Lovren, Milner and Henderson. There’s another handful that are still there who have either faded away and Gomez who has developed.

@MikeVinna may be right. There are too few players who will still be here if the investment is there in three years. And our best three will all be into their 30s and start being replaced then.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Chelsea I'll grant you as they win trophies but what the hell have Sp*rs done to gain new fans at our expense? Beautiful football once the pressure's off?

Better stick to Arsenal then as it'll be a while before Sp*rs win anything of note :lol:
Finish above us in the table two years running and being constantly talked of in the media as contenders while we are not. That is enough to persuade some kids looking to support a London team.

FinnGooner

Established Member
Finish above us in the table two years running and being constantly talked of in the media as contenders while we are not. That is enough to persuade some kids looking to support a London team.

This. In addition, their key players are young English lads who also make the backbone of the England NT. As much as I hate to admit it, Sp**s are succeeding in many things we've failed in. Our British core project was a massive failure whereas theirs has been the opposite, they got the Asian super star we were drooling after for years, they've managed to build a positive hype around them in thr media as this up and coming fresh challengers while we have been referred to as a dying giant for a decade.

All that said, we're still in superior position than them financially. We can get ahead of 'em again but our club needs to start doing the right things. And one is getting in the right manager. Emery needs to be given a fair chance but if after a couple of seasons there's no progress, we should be prepared for a refresh. Sp**s got Poch in by iterating through bunch of managers, ManU is going through the same process and we might very well have to do the same, although I would love it if Emery turned out to be our man. At least we've got a couple of actually exciting prospects in the club after a years of mediocrities like Akpom, Afobe etc.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
This. In addition, their key players are young English lads who also make the backbone of the England NT. As much as I hate to admit it, Sp**s are succeeding in many things we've failed in. Our British core project was a massive failure whereas theirs has been the opposite, they got the Asian super star we were drooling after for years, they've managed to build a positive hype around them in thr media as this up and coming fresh challengers while we have been referred to as a dying giant for a decade.

All that said, we're still in superior position than them financially. We can get ahead of 'em again but our club needs to start doing the right things. And one is getting in the right manager. Emery needs to be given a fair chance but if after a couple of seasons there's no progress, we should be prepared for a refresh. Sp**s got Poch in by iterating through bunch of managers, ManU is going through the same process and we might very well have to do the same, although I would love it if Emery turned out to be our man. At least we've got a couple of actually exciting prospects in the club after a years of mediocrities like Akpom, Afobe etc.
Right but for one small but telling point: you are only in a superior position financially if you are prepared to spend more, we are not. Arsenal has more non-football assets than Sp**s but it will not use them. At some point Sp**s are going to get huge money for Kane and more. If they use it sensibly, like Liverpool did all that Suarez and Coutinho money, they will outspend us comfortably.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
Please tell me it's not Monday because of our EL thing and I'm going to look stupid posting about Auba getting two today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom