• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Manchester City vs Arsenal | 26/08/06

Zico

Established Member
Positives to take from yesterday

Van Persie - distinguishes himself by being the only Arsenal guy who doesn't buy into this idea of passing a hundred times to make the perfect goal. Should have a break out season.

Djourou - looked composed. There was a point when he showed great control right under the nose of a Citeh attacker.

Negatives

Hleb - best close control of any of our lads. But the guy needs to do two things
1. shoot
2. stop crowding the centre by cutting in all the time.

Hoyte - in too deep at this point. If he's not performing in our third game, it's time to relegate him. Positioning, tackling, overlapping all woeful.

I agree with whoever said a few pages back that our three last games showed the same problems. No willingess to shoot and lack of grit. How hard is it to shoot? At Liverpool, all of Riise, Gerrard, Kewell, Alonso, Garcia can't resist a pop from 25 yards. And now some dirty cat called Agger hit one from range yesterday. We've all seen Henry, van Persie, Rosicky and others score from range. So why this current fascination with dribbling and setting each other up?

go49oner

Established Member
if you think we played bad yesterday, try and watch Chelsea now, they are getting outplayed left,right and centre.

Shahram

The Tin God said:
He is s***e at rangers?

If they win tomorrow they are top of the league.

The have zero money , so by the looks of things he is doing a good job.

I more than anything want wenger to be our manager till he retires but for me he has lost touch with the way other teams have worked us out.

and yes i am an arsenal fan

I also believe Wenger is losing touch slightly from a few years ago. He's got to attached in a long term project IMO.... BUT he is still the a f*g brilliant manager and the best choice for Arsenal at the moment.

Shahram

go49oner said:
I was very pleased with the way we played today. Should've been 4-1. Van Persie's shot that hit the post could have easily gone in. Henry's shot in which he beat Dunne, 2-0, easily, game over. Another miss from Henry, 3-0. Toure's header that was cleared off the line, 4-0. Factor in the Barton penalty, 4-1. Everyone's happy, title challenge back on, Wenger is a genious. Unfortunately our luck didn't go too well today. No need to worry

btw, we played a damn sight better than United

I like your positive attitude. If only it was.....

Zico

Established Member
We cannot depend on Walcott just yet. In two years he will probably be one of the first names on the team sheet, but right now i'm still not seeing enough intelligent off-the-ball work and strength.

Reyes will be good back in Spain. He's obviously not together right now in England. We should be merciful and cut the sucker loose. If it is true that Robinho is out of favor, then I'd be willing to even pay Madrid 2 or 3 million quid on balance to take Reyes.

the dawn raids

Established Member
celestis said:
You talking about that one on one with the keeper ? With RVP open on the other side. In truth I thought the same thing , but frankly the truth is a striker in that position should always shoot . If Henry had passed that , then I would have been worried he was having a confidence crisis.

on evidence of yesterdays game, id say it isnt just the strikers with a confidence crisis shooting.

oOTruGunNaOo

Fredrock said:
jackycreegs said:
anyone for joey barton and cesc in midfield together? we could do with someone who gets stuck in and goes forward with real purpose.

Sounds good to me! Someone who actually plays a bit dirty but can attack as well as defend. However, I don't want Gilberto out of our midfield as I think that he is our best player at the moment. He's grown into a giant in midfield and I think he is more or less carrying the team on his shoulders until TH and Freddie are fit. He is becoming the physical presence we have lacked since PV4 left. He was everywhere yesterday, clearing the ball in our penalty area as well as finishing attacks in theirs. Cesc, Barton and Gilberto in those games where we employ a 4-5-1.

I suggested that a while ago but i was blown off. Wenger suggested barton to the monaco coach this summer so he mustve wanted him to develop a bit before getting him so wenger obviously likes him

AGooner

Henry clearly is lacking match fitness, he had a couple of gilt edged chances yesterday which would normally would have tucked away.

Walcott is an exciting player and I can see why AW doesn't want to rush the young lad. But with his pace I'd like to see him play more than 10-15 minutes a game.

We need to sort out our defensive frailties though. When the Chavs won the title two seasons ago I thought that there wasn't alot of difference between them and us and the Mancs (man for man) except for the form of Pete-the-Czech, who was like the Berlin Wall. This time around we have a totally inexperienced defence. We really need an experienced defender.

Artillero

This morning for my local football team I had an identical chance to Rosisky (4 yardsout 1on1 with keeper at an angle).

Passing it never crossed my mind. Just for the record I buried it.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Artillero said:
This morning for my local football team I had an identical chance to Rosisky (4 yardsout 1on1 with keeper at an angle).

Passing it never crossed my mind. Just for the record I buried it.

That does not make us feel any better mate! Just rub it in why don't Ya? :lol:

Shahram

arsenal_hleb said:
http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=412466&CPID=8&clid=3&lid=2&title=Arsène+looks+to+positives

wenger's comments leaves me bewildered. he didnt admit the fault and yet change the topic and talk about positives. and even said until this loss was ok to accept and no new signing was needed. and there is henry again, whining and whining when we lose a game, but he got a point though.

seriously, from recent games, henry finishing has been poor since the CL final. its often weak and no real placing.

Exactly my thoughts too

americanarf

Established Member
MancunianGunner said:
I always thought it was wrong to appoint Henry as captain. Our team is too dependent on him when he plays, whereas when he doesnt play they seem to play a lot more relaxed. Lehmann should have been captain, they are not going to look up to him to score a goal. We cant win a game when Henry is not up for it, but we can crush any team in the world when Henry does feel up for it. He has been a lot more consistent the last couple of years than he has in the past but I never liked the idea of appointing a striker as a captain. Should always be either the goalkeeper, the CB, CM or DM. Someone from the spine of the team.

I'm sure the main reason he was appointed captain was to get him to stay in Arsenal, which is not a good reason in my book.

and Hoyte will be ripped apart when we play against man u. hopefully flamini will play then. I mean how much longer can wengers patience last? Although he is know to be a very patient man so it might not be until january.

i agree, we are a bit over reliant on Henry but tbh i pretty much doubt that he will be stripped of his captaincy anytime soon. Too bad there arent many experienced leaders in the team who can take over anyway apart from lehmann as u said.

americanarf

Established Member
Gurgen said:
What I find remarkable is that everyone criticizes RvP for not working for the team, yet yesterday he did exactly that and he still gets stick because he didn't score. I'd laugh if it wasn't so ridiculous.

Henry however could have cut back for an RvP tap in twice but chose the weak shot instead. I shudder to think what would happen on here if RvP had done that.

and if it was the other way round RVP on the ball with the option to pass n doesnt, you can guess how thierry would react. i got no problem with a player who opts to shoot (rather than pass for a tap-in) when they are sure they will score. i would understand when we are winning by a couple of goals and are in complete control of the game but we werent which makes it even more frustrating. hopefully henry gets some games in the international break and regains "fitness/sharpness"

Top Bottom