• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Manchester City vs Arsenal | 26/08/06

MancunianGunner

if we could only be allowed to play with an extra player, i bet the opposition would be damn scared to play against a team with 12 players. lol

drthorne1

americanarf said:
MancunianGunner said:
I always thought it was wrong to appoint Henry as captain. Our team is too dependent on him when he plays, whereas when he doesnt play they seem to play a lot more relaxed. Lehmann should have been captain, they are not going to look up to him to score a goal. We cant win a game when Henry is not up for it, but we can crush any team in the world when Henry does feel up for it. He has been a lot more consistent the last couple of years than he has in the past but I never liked the idea of appointing a striker as a captain. Should always be either the goalkeeper, the CB, CM or DM. Someone from the spine of the team.

I'm sure the main reason he was appointed captain was to get him to stay in Arsenal, which is not a good reason in my book.

and Hoyte will be ripped apart when we play against man u. hopefully flamini will play then. I mean how much longer can wengers patience last? Although he is know to be a very patient man so it might not be until january.

i agree, we are a bit over reliant on Henry but tbh i pretty much doubt that he will be stripped of his captaincy anytime soon. Too bad there arent many experienced leaders in the team who can take over anyway apart from lehmann as u said.

What the Bloddy hell is wrong some of the people posting on here, Henry and his So called captaincy got us to the bloddy CL final last year and now becuase we have lost 1 GAME yes 1 people think he should no longer be captiain.

I am totaly amazed with some of these comments and not just about henry but also about AW and other member's of our team. The problem is that us as Arsenal fans have been spoilet over the last 7 years or so and just becuase we have not made the best of starts people are jumping to some of the most stupid ideas i have ever heard... JESUS

I bet if we win against boro and get something out of the man united game then the same people will be saying how great everything is again....

thierryunreal

drthorne1 said:
americanarf said:
MancunianGunner said:
I always thought it was wrong to appoint Henry as captain. Our team is too dependent on him when he plays, whereas when he doesnt play they seem to play a lot more relaxed. Lehmann should have been captain, they are not going to look up to him to score a goal. We cant win a game when Henry is not up for it, but we can crush any team in the world when Henry does feel up for it. He has been a lot more consistent the last couple of years than he has in the past but I never liked the idea of appointing a striker as a captain. Should always be either the goalkeeper, the CB, CM or DM. Someone from the spine of the team.

I'm sure the main reason he was appointed captain was to get him to stay in Arsenal, which is not a good reason in my book.

and Hoyte will be ripped apart when we play against man u. hopefully flamini will play then. I mean how much longer can wengers patience last? Although he is know to be a very patient man so it might not be until january.

i agree, we are a bit over reliant on Henry but tbh i pretty much doubt that he will be stripped of his captaincy anytime soon. Too bad there arent many experienced leaders in the team who can take over anyway apart from lehmann as u said.

What the Bloddy hell is wrong some of the people posting on here, Henry and his So called captaincy got us to the bloddy CL final last year and now becuase we have lost 1 GAME yes 1 people think he should no longer be captiain.

I am totaly amazed with some of these comments and not just about henry but also about AW and other member's of our team. The problem is that us as Arsenal fans have been spoilet over the last 7 years or so and just becuase we have not made the best of starts people are jumping to some of the most stupid ideas i have ever heard... JESUS

I bet if we win against boro and get something out of the man united game then the same people will be saying how great everything is again....

exactly if we muster together and beat 'boro and manure, people will say we're great. but for the time you can't just question everything. At least thierry was bold and courageous to come and speak for the lads although he didn't blame theirs or his style of play (which i wouldn't expect him to do anyway). IMO he's a captain who inpires his team through strenght and pace and flair, but ATM its difficult cos he needs to find an extra gear as he's off the pace and he's struggling himself.

Rocastle7

Maybe the guys should have a chat with the Arsenal Ladies. They beat Fulham 14-0 (!) today. At least some Arsenal-players knows where the goal is. :)

virna lisi

nah..i can understand the frustration..
last year we scraped our ass getting into the champions league for THIS year..we don't wanna go through that again..
these games against the likes of villa and man city are points we're gonna wish we had back.

take a shot fellas. we need greedy players..

Wolfman

Well my 2 cents - the only thing I said while watching the game that wasn't an expletive was "TAKE THE <expletive deleted> SHOT!!!

RC8

Established Member
arsefanfan said:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3164-2331347,00.html

food for thought. On Saturday we only had three clear-cut chances, the article says.

That's not true:

1-Henry one on one against the keeper,wide

2-Henry one on one against the keeper, stopped

3-RvP one on one against the keeper, wide

4-RvP post

5-Rosicky drifts inside the box, but decides to pass

6-Hleb drifts inside the box, but decides to pass

7-Hit the crossbar from a corner

All of those could have been goals, I don't care what a reporter says.

arsefanfan

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?this ... e+clinical
Wenger's comments. To rephrase it in a certain way, our style of play, which he wants to push through, requires everyone to be sharp, or there will be too many passes and not many chances. In this sense, the Times article has a valid point that we will not be able to "grind out" results like Chelski and Pool as we don't want to win ugly. My complaint is, how sharp should the players be? Throughout the season?

_scorpion_

Established Member
Anyone who watched us in the unbeaten season would have seen many matches where we played like crap but STILL got the result.

The team clearly lacks directness and a fit Henry.

Someone brought up an interesting point the other day - are Henry's new boots affecting him? I don't know. I know he isnt match fit so it is hard to make assmptions just yet.

I thought this was a match where Wallcot should have started and Cesc rested.

Rocisky should have played from the middle (operating in Cecs role) and the onus should have been on directness.

We overplayed way too many times in the last 3 games. Quite clearly, we have had enough chances to win 10 matches....but so far only 3 goals (2 in the CL).

I just hope that the issue of being more direct is brought up during the break at training.

On the good side, Wallcot looks promising! Gilberto played extremely well and Rocisky looks like a more direct version of Hleb who is not afraid to shoot.

I also think RVP has learnt a lot about being more of a team player and i'd like to see that continue. In saying that, he must never lose the thing that makes him special and should chance himself at times.

On the down side Hoyte does not look good at LB. It is not the lads fault for being picked , but he was dire. If we were going to experiment with LB's , why not Flamini? In any case, more directness please in our next match (and some good news this week regarding transfers) should do the trick.

the dawn raids

Established Member
_scorpion_ said:
In any case, more directness please in our next match (and some good news this week regarding transfers) should do the trick.

that sums it up really. this team is playing well and isnt far away from being top notch. a little added depth and more clinical in front of the goal and watch how quickly everyone is back on wengers knob again.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

the dawn raids said:
_scorpion_ said:
In any case, more directness please in our next match (and some good news this week regarding transfers) should do the trick.

that sums it up really. this team is playing well and isnt far away from being top notch. a little added depth and more clinical in front of the goal and watch how quickly everyone is back on wengers knob again.

:lol: So true.

Kenyonhater

I know the link has been posted but these points from that article are very well made.

The Times August 28, 2006

Arsenal's style lacks substance
By Oliver Kay

Manchester City 1 Arsenal 0

ONE OF THESE DAYS, ARSENAL WILL score a goal so stupendous in its inception, so stunning in its execution, that the rest of the football world will bow down in awe before them. Until that day, their pursuit of aesthetic perfection, combined with Arsène Wenger’s preference for youth over experience and for brains to the exclusion of brawn, promises to stand between them and what secondary ambitions they may have.

Remember the Arsenal “Invincibles” who went a league campaign unbeaten in 2003-04? These days they are happy to be the Indulgents, flicking the ball nonchalantly between themselves on the edge of the penalty area like some overtalented five-a-side team who believe that pretty goals count double.

It is not a new criticism — even the Invincibles had their moments of indulgence — but Arsenal’s teams over the past decade have always possessed a physical and mental fortitude that meant they could occasionally win ugly. This lot, apparently, are not built for that.

Criticising Wenger’s judgment can feel like heresy, particularly after his young aesthetes came so close to lifting the European Cup last season, but defeats such as this, by a technically inferior but far more combative Manchester City team, raise questions that have become all too familiar over the past year or so.

Can a manager legitimately cite youth, inexperience and fragility for his side’s failings when those shortcomings are the result of a strategy that was designed with just such a team in mind? Can he continually replace experience with youth — laudable as that may be in some respects — and expect a team to play with the consistency of champions?

Usually they will look to Thierry Henry, but when he is not in the mood — and, for all his brilliance, he continues to blow hot and cold — where are the players who will help to grind out results, as Chelsea and Liverpool do on a regular basis and Manchester United did away to Watford at the weekend?

Weaver was quick to play down his contribution by pointing out that he “didn’t have too much to do”. Bearing in mind the number of times Arsenal seemed to have carved the City defence wide open, that, however unintended, was quite an indictment.

kulazz

damn.. i dunno what's goin on through the minds of the squad.. it'll be a very long wait for the next game wondering anxiously of we can get the W or not.. this sh!t is so depressing

Arsenal Quotes

Thierry Henry was very quick at analysing everything that was going on and how he needed to react. This intelligence, this capacity to evaluate, understand and question oneself, is also the mark of great players... For everyone, for the fans and for us, he symbolised the golden age of Arsenal.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom