• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Manchester United vs Arsenal | 17/09/06

eddie_wills

I think we'll lose 1-0.

But look, it won't be the end of our season. With apologies for resorting to cliches, nothing is won or lost in September and long-term we are more than capable squad wise of finishing above Utd.

Personally I think Wenger was going with Gallas at left back tonight because he was having nightmares of Hoyte v Ronaldo.

If Kolo's out, I don't think he has a choice and that worries me. Ferguson's not stupid, he knows he can get away with Richardson left side if it means Ronaldo taking on an inexperienced left back.

Please be fit Mr Toure.

Webdesignlab

Established Member
I can only think doom, Man U have been the great Prem team so far, we are sh*te in the prem at the moment.

Does not look good, hold onto your seat and when they win 2-0 after a lot of chances wasted by us and one decent headed goal from a corner leading to a sliding scholes late killer ... (man, I sound like a Man U supporter ... damn).

I Just cannot see us doing this. I must admit going into that Inter game I felt the same, also into that 0-2 FA cup we killed them at ... the same, so who knows.

Goalkeeper

sparky44 said:
Which way will it turn? If we didnt play so good against hamburg I would say an easy united 3-1 win but now im quite happy with our chance up in manchester.

I like seeing adebayor drop deep today and if henry isnt playing on sunday, id like to see a 4-5-1 into a 4-3-3 with baptista as the lone striker with adebayor/ RVP just behind him. I also want to see RVP roam down the wings and reall expose neville. Hopefully imo this is the team that should see us through:

Eboue ---- Gallas/Toure (Injured?)------ Djourou ------ Gallas/Hoyte

-----------------------Gilberto---------------------------

RVP---------------Fabregas-----------Rosicky-------------

----------Adebayor------------------------------------

---------------------------------------Baptista---------

Im not making a prediction for the game yet, maybe tomorrow because I havent thought it all thourgh properly

I agree with that formation. Knowing United, they might try to kick us off the pitch but with Adebayor and Baptista we could outpower their defence. RVP is good on the wings and his link up with Adebayor is improving.

About the defense problem, perhaps we could try Gilberto at CB and Gallas at LB with Flamini in DM. Gilberto used to be a CB back in Brazil and he basically becomes one on the counter attack. The only problem I can forsee is that Flamini can't impose himself into the game, as Gilberto did today in Hamburg. Just an alternate idea. Regardless, Hoyte has never given a good performance at LB

algunner

I think Flamini will play as wenger gave him a run of football at CL. He might come in at Left back if Toure doesn't get fit otherwise we will have Gallas at Left back.

This can Kick our season by beating manUtd. It always seems that big wins makes us tougher to win just like we did against real madrid. So I am hoping Wenger will use this match to kick start the season.
2-0 Arsenal

gun4glory

seb_afc said:
lee1001 said:
For once in my life im seriously considering not watching this game...quite honestly im scared ****less!!

haha you can try, but you know damn well you'll end up watching it one way or another!
It's the damned truth!

Will83

kym7224 said:
Toure must get back.. and hope Flamini on LB

Eboue-Toure-Gallas-Flamini... I don't want to see Hoyte 1 on 1 with C. Ronaldo..

thats the defense i want to see as well, Djourou & Hoyte are accidents waiting to happen, Flamini did an excellent job when called upon last season and i'd like to see him continue in that role until Clichy returns as Gallas is needed in the middle. I don't want to see Hleb playing, a strong breeze would knock him over, boy needs to develop some muscle mass as he is too lightweight. Beast to start in the middle of the park, desperatly need some muscle in there as we're too fragile when the tackles start going in.

Cruisio

Established Member
Is Toure is injured, and Hoyte has to play, we're buggered I reckon. What's up with the Djourou bashing by the way? I think he's been great so far, very solid.

the dawn raids

Established Member
Mbaki Mutahaba said:
I think Manure's first 4 performances have been overhyped. They are a descent side but nothintg special to them, absolutely nothing.

maybe, but theyre still grinding out results. were barely grinding out draws.

gun4glory

We'll be lucky to get a draw imo... Man Utd have been flawless so far in the league... We've been... well.... below par to say the least...
dare I say, the only way were can win this is if we start WITHOUT henry... He's clearly not match fit...
I guess he'll be OK to come on against some tired legs...

Webdesignlab

Established Member
the dawn raids said:
Mbaki Mutahaba said:
I think Manure's first 4 performances have been overhyped. They are a descent side but nothintg special to them, absolutely nothing.

maybe, but theyre still grinding out results. were barely grinding out draws.

We can't even beat Man City never mind Man U ... oh deary me. No chance.

Move on to Shef.

LeBoss

Come on, enough of this doom and gloom because we're making way too much of this Man U team. Watching them tonight told me that they won't be around again once the CL gets down to the serious business. That defence is vastly over-rated and surprise, surprise it's full of England players. Ferdinand and Brown were abysmal and the physical game of Hesselink really troubled them. We're seriously gonna miss a trick if we don't start with Baptista I feel. As far as mid-field, Scholes is again the man to watch, the rest i.e. Carrick, Fletcher etc. more overated players. Ronaldo is obviously a threat with his pace, and Hoyte simply cannot play this game or it could be a disaster. Everything rests with Toure...
Saha and Rooney are gonna have to be marshalled expertly, but if Toure plays then we have the personnel to keep them quiet. In fact, the team has far more class and technical ability than ManU but we need to turn it into results. United's form at the moment is a response to the expectations of their baying supporters, but trust me THAT collection of players will not keep up that form when the fixtures begin to pile up. Watch their play closely and u can see it's all very superficial, United are still a side in decline.
Come the weekend, ManU, under orders from SAF, will open up with their typical aggression and try to unsettle us but we will need to retain our composure to win this. It's important that we choose the right moment to open up their defences and most importantly defend as a team. I think we can win this 2-0 but it's gonna take plenty of sweat and grit from the boys. We CANNOT concede first, I really fear for us if we have to chase the game at OT. Henry has to step up, no more dozey performances from the captain, quite frankly I think he owes us.

gunner_down_under

Always been more worried about Man Utd than any other team - been the case for over 4 years now.....only ever time I was a little confident was when we wont the league there.

Not expecting a win on Sunday, especially with King Kolo out, but hoping for a draw at least....would be very ****in sweet if we win.

F_Henry

Arsenal will win 2-0 I think

I predict a great game from Henry,Cesc and Gilberto

This time, Rooney will throw pizza at Wenger

Man.U loose confidence and finish 6th.

Mark

Established Member
Lehmann

Eboue Toure Djourou Gallas

Walcott Gilberto Fabregas Rosicky

Henry Adebayor

1. Almunia 2. Baptista 3. Hleb 4. RvP 5. Flamini

I'd like to see that, but I can't see Walcott and Adebayor starting. Hleb and RvP should have a rest as both haven't quite been good enough recently. Ade and Walcott will provide us with the pace we need in what will probably be a counter-attacking mentality from us. Ade looked very lively tonight too.

Think the best we can hope for is a draw, but I think we'll get it. 2-2 I reckon. Henry and Rosicky.

Click here for my thoughts on the Hamburg game, and my preview of the Man Utd game.

JazzG

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
except based on today we seem to have forgotten how to counter attack. maybe its because there was no henry and freddie.

anyway, i was very-pro the passing game we'v adopeted but didnt bank on it being this toothless in attack. it looks nice sure but its pointless if its not leading to goals. Lukazan's scenario IMO looks very likely.

there are also some worrying signs for us defensively.

When we were at our peak there were usually 5 main players in our counter attacking game. Vieira, Henry, Pires, Freddie and Bergkamp. I feel Fabregas may be able to replicate the role Vieira played as when Fabregas is on the ball his mind is very sharp and he doesn't usually waste time with the ball. Fred and Henry are around but replacing Pires and Bergkamp will be difficult. Pires had very intelligent running and his one touch passes in a swift counter were breath taking at times but right now we got players like Hleb who dwell on the ball too long, the moment to pass the ball or to shoot usually doesn't last long but I feel he (the others also are guilty to be fair) doesn't seize that moment. Players like Pires and Bergkamp were great players who knew what to do. Remember Bergkamp and Fred in 01/02? Dennis knew what kind of runs Freddie made and he just kept supplying him with passes and Freddie finished the moved off, Dennis changed his game to make sure Freddie got goals and he kept giving him the passes how he wanted them. Pires knew when he had to carry the ball or when to pass, how many times did him Henry and Cole triangle devestate for us, they didn't even have to look and they knew where their teammate was, this is why for us he was a great player but replacing that won't be easy. A lot of our players don't seem to really understand how our own players work, Henry likes the ball quickly so give it quickly. Hleb has a lot of things going for him and for Stuttgart I didn't see him that much but I saw a Stuttgart team counter attack and make mugs of a Man utd team in Germany a few years back and it was Hleb who was running the show then. Right now he drifts out of position and holds the ball for too long, one of the problems to be fair is the lack of movement infront of him. Did you see Man utd's 2nd goal against Celtic? Rooney's movement created the goal and that is the kind of movement we are lacking. Sometimes we start with the ball wide but we move the ball central so slowly that the team now have a chance to squeeze the play and our chance is gone. This is why our attacks imo look so toothless right now, lack of options for the play makers due to lack of movement. Freddie and Henry on top form are usually buzzing around everywhere and I think that when they get back on form it will help.

A lot of our issues are due to Henry not being on form, when he is on form opposition defenses fear him and in a way just him being there can sometimes create instability in their defense which helps our players find space and thus leads to goals. Right now he isn't on form so the burden is falling on others who aren't stepping up. We all know sooner or later Henry will be on form, he won't need others as much then and when he is on form others feel more confident as well but I guess we gotta be patient and wait.

As for the match, Man utd in the last few weeks have dropped their cautious game and are attacking teams hard but they have had to sacrafice some defensive stability as well. This is why I feel we might have a chance because our players who are failing right now may have a lot more space infront of them to play with which makes it easier for them. The issues we will face mainly are from Saha/Rooney/Scholes. Kolo(if fit) will have to take Saha but Djourou against Rooney might get a bit ugly. Gilberto will also have to play a blinder to keep a red hot Scholes in check but thankfully Giggs is out so one less player to deal with. It is gonna be damn hard and there is a good chance of us losing but I wouldn't rule us out just yet, they will attack us and leave themselves open and we have to seize our moments. Henry will play and for once he has to look bothered against them coz usually he doesn't. Keep an eye out for our formation as well, got a funny feeling we won't be playing 4-4-2.

Seabass

Admittedly, everything (outside the CL) seems to be going against us winning this game against United. However, I see this as a perfect opportunity to turn around our Premiership campaign. We need something to get our confidence back, and even if we grind out a 1-0 win over United, we'll be better off than if we beat Sheffield United 10-0.

It really is depressing to see the lack of confidence around here though. It may be frustrating to watch the players squander chances, but you have to believe that they'll come good the next time around, otherwise what's the point of even watching?

I think that almost every Arsenal player who will be playing on Sunday is capable of putting in a performance of a lifetime to overcome United, so why shouldn't they? If anything, they'll be up for this game more than they have been for Villa, City, and Boro.

At any rate, I do agree that Hoyte probably shouldn't play. In this game, we need to put Flamini back there, no matter how much he hates it. It's just one game, and I'm sure he can do the job for us. Other than that, I'm not worried about any other players. We don't need changes right away, we just need the players who have been playing to step it up, and make it count.

JMT

any news on toure yet?... think well wait until tomorrow to see if hes going to be ready. there noway hoyte can handle C.Ronaldo. the thought frightens me.

With Park and Giggs both injured. there midfield will be missinga little something. but still have a good mid with carrick scholes and C.Ronaldo. but beware of Rosicky Fab Gilberto and Hleb. no to mention the little matter of Thierry Henry back. bring it on....

Latest posts

Top Bottom