• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Manchester United vs Arsenal | 17/09/06

Gazza Martinez

Established Member
United are playing amazing high tempo football at this moment, really laying into teams mercilessly. However, they really seem to have forgotten how to plug gaps in midfield since Keane's departure, personally I think their style will see them succeed in the premiership but come unstuck in the CL against technical teams capable of denying them the football for long periods.

As for us, I think United will just try to impose a high tempo on the game and overwhelm us with their attack. The key for us will be to keep the ball well, stay calm and compact, and be patient. On a good day, we are capable of doing this, and I think this United side is reminsicent of earlier Arsenal sides, all pace and power, but look nervy when without the ball for an extended period. However, we were giving the ball away cheaply at times against Hamburg, and United thrive on capitalising on sloppy play out of defense, so we will have to improve this aspect.

Hopefully Toure's fit, because I doubt Hoyte is ready for a game of this magnitude.

ap

just hope toure and henry are fit for this massive match, and rio ferdinan is as sh!t as in the match against celtic

Arsenal 2 to 1 !!!

Reyes no.11

id honestly rather play adebayor than henry due to Henry's sulking skills. he makes everyone on the team feel like s**t. look how adebayor and vanpersie were alwasy encouraging each other. whats henry's problem? players like vanpersie are too scared they will mess up because of henry and can't play their natural game. i hope henry reads this and shows the team some respect and give them encouragement.

------------------Lehmann

Eboue-------Toure--------Djourou------Gallas

Hleb-------Fabregas------Gilberto-----Rosicky

-----------VanPersie-------Henry (captain)

Subs: Almunia, Hoyte, Baptista, Walcott, Adebayor

mad jens

we have to play defensive...put baptista in for the muscle and strength....put walcott to show how he can own gary neville rio ferdinand and the most important: DROP HENRY.....i know people will think im stupid but its true we should play without him. put ade in who has a point to prove and make gilberto our skipper....and one more thing let hoyte play if toure is injured, have faith in him lik wenger did in ade and see what he gave us :D
--------------Lehmann---------------------
-Eboue----Toure/Djourou---Gallas--Hoyte
--------baptista--------gilberto------------
----------------fabregas--------------------
----ljunberg---------------walcott---------
-----------ade/RvP-------------------------

We have to start winning games..going to old trafford definitely a tough one...last night Rio blunder gave Celtic their first goal...Man U foward are impresive currently IMO

zievad

My God man, the negativity on here is beyond belief. I have faith and always will have faith. There best player this season is injured, park is also out and rooney (who usually causes us problems) isn't match fit. I think we have a real chance here. We have to take our chances this time and score in the first 20 but I am going for a 1-2 win for us. Come on you GUNNERS!!! :D

Gurgen

Established Member
I'll take a 2-0 to United. The way we're playing in the league I don't think we have much of a chance.

We will struggle with their tempo, pace, and aggression, as usual.

Linson

Am I the only person who would rather see Matthew Connoly in the first team rather than Hoyte?
Him Captaining the reserves has been fantastic, he really has been brilliant!
Manure are still in decline -they're burning out the last of theie success - I can't help but feel that their squad just lacks any real depth both in youth and reserves. However I still feel like they are going to whoop us so completely that its not going to be funny.

Grampus_Eight

This is a great opportunity to exorcize the demons. Players who don't want to be here anymore are gone. Steel has been added.

Unfortunately, I think we left things too late in the transfer window and the team needs more time to adapt before clicking enough. To beat United, you have to dominate them in the center of the pitch. For us to do that (apologies to Cesc and Gilberto) we need to play 5 in the middle, but the Boss will be loath to do this since 5 across will hamper our attacking options.

So long as Hoyte doesn't play, I think we can manage a draw.

United are on fire. They are making mistakes, but their belief is so high, they are still winning every game. But they have their share of weaknesses.

Carrick isn't good enough to dominate. If you detailed him a bit with a player with size and strength (Ade, Beast) he can become very ruffled. Scholes and Rooney continue to fail to complement each other (touch wood). So long as they are without Heinze they have their own problems at LB.

However, I think the lead-up to this match just goes to show how much we needed another wide player and most importantly another LB - regardless of Gallas' arrival. The Boss knew he wouldn't have Cashley, Clichy, Lauren, Big Phil, Cygan and Sol to start the season, but we only brought in Gallas (and perhaps Djourou depending on one's perspective...)

In the end the game will be determined by Henry though. If he plays better than Rooney/Saha we have a great chance to win and will get a point. But if Rooney tracks Titi down all the way towards his own touch line and disposses him, then we will loose.

Ratinho

Established Member
Linson said:
Am I the only person who would rather see Matthew Connoly in the first team rather than Hoyte?
Him Captaining the reserves has been fantastic, he really has been brilliant!

Manure are still in decline -they're burning out the last of theie success - I can't help but feel that their squad just lacks any real depth both in youth and reserves.

However I still feel like they are going to whoop us so completely that its not going to be funny.

No, as he's a CB.

No they aren't.

Yes they will.

2-0 unfortunately, but I saw enough last night to stop any worrying for now.

qs

Established Member
We should score. Whether we score more I dont know. Assuming United dont switch their tactics, and why would they the form theyre in, I think they'll be very open. Carrick isnt going to stop Fabregas and Rosicky for 90 minutes.

The games hopefully going to be different to past encounters. First off they dont have Keane to fight his way through the match. They dont have giggs whos usually good against us and we dont have Reyes who always sulked his way through United games when Gneville was mean to him.

I think we've a decent chance of winning this. United are in good form but theyve not played a quality side yet, they shouldnt be as fired up as us either an dIm suprised Fargie hasnt started a war of words to try get their backs up a bit.

Rooney looked poor last night and Giigs has been central to most of what theyve done this season. Gallas can take care of Ronaldo but I worry about Eboue if the winker plays left.

I'm going to go back on what Ive saidf previously and say Baptista shouldnt start. He doesnt look fully fit yet and I think its too big a game for him yet.

Whats more Id play Adebayor. He was excellent last night and I just feel if things arent going well he has more fight in him than Robin. For that reason Id start him with Thierry.

Id go with the same midfield as last night or if I had to make a change Id drop Fab and bring in Ljungberg allowing Thomas to play in the middle.

Unless we're winning by 65-70th minute Id bring on Theo and try to use his pace to create chances.

If we get anyhting at all from thsi I'll be very very happy.

Its time to start playing football again Thierry.

Grampus_Eight

If Toure is out injured and Flamini isn't picked at LB, I would recommend Freddie for the job. In fact, given some time over there, he might be the business. I know he didn't set the match on fire at RB against Everton last season at the end of the match, but you know Freddie's got all the heart and desire and focus to put in a performance. Throw him the armband for the match if needed as a necessary incentive. Just don't persist with Hoyte there. He is dismal and I know Freddie can provide veteran leadership, won't loose concentration and can track Winky Ronnie and Rooney better than Hoyte.

Thommybhoy

Established Member
I have a fantastic feeling about this one I must say. I think we can win this one. I honestly do!! ManU defence looked, from what I saw against Celtic, funny on some occasions and we must, and I hope will, get our scoring efficiency better.

qs

Established Member
Grampus_Eight said:
If Toure is out injured and Flamini isn't picked at LB, I would recommend Freddie for the job. In fact, given some time over there, he might be the business. I know he didn't set the match on fire at RB against Everton last season at the end of the match, but you know Freddie's got all the heart and desire and focus to put in a performance. Throw him the armband for the match if needed as a necessary incentive. Just don't persist with Hoyte there. He is dismal and I know Freddie can provide veteran leadership, won't loose concentration and can track Winky Ronnie and Rooney better than Hoyte.

Nonsense. Freddie wouldnt have a clue how to play left back positionally and he cant tackel. He'd be good at making runs up the wing but thats a secondary fucntion of a left back, his first priority is to defend.

Plus Hoyte was excellent last night.

Grampus_Eight

For a one off situation and game where any chance we have of being competitive in the league will be determined (loose and 4th place finish will be a great achievement, 3rd will be a miracle), I would take Flamini any day; moreover for 90mins I'm certain Freddie would be better than Hoyte - defensively too.

Is their any indication that the kid played an entire season at LB in the premiership? I haven't seen it. It must be a massive case of nerves - maybe a couple shots of vodka pre-match would be helpful?

As for Hoyte having a great game, I can only infer you meant the time he came on in the FA Cup against Sheffield a couple seasons back or something.

qs

Established Member
I'd prefer Flamini too but it looks like he wont play there anymore. To suggest Freddie makes no sense at all though.

Hoyte had a very good game last night. If you're so ****ing blinkered that you cant even admit that the lad had a good game I really cant be bothered.

Spiller233

I'm probably going to end up watching the game with a group of lads that include two of my best friends who unfortunately for them..... are Manchester United fans.

Its been ugly watching these games with these boys the last 3 years or so. Happy memories, not. Bar the FA Cup final, but that wasn't fantastic now was it?

I don't want to go with them. I think I'm going to sneak off to another pub by myself. I am even more pessimistic about this fixture than I was of last years. But of course theres still that little bit in me that things we can ****ING DO IT!

Assuming all are fit, I would like to see.....

Lehmann

Eboue Toure Djourou Gallas

Ljungberg Gilberto Fabregas Rosicky

Baptista
Henry

Almunia
Hoyte
Wallcott
RVP
Adebayor

Doubt this will happen though. You know stickman Hleb will get in the mix.

PS.
For the Hoyte doubters out there. I too have not been very impressed with his performances so far. They've been a bit mixed bag. However, remember the lad started against Manure twice last year for Sunderland and I remember him doing a fairly good job. Albeit it was at Right Back. I seem to remember them getting a 0-0 draw at OT towards the end of the season.

So if Kolo is out and we have to use him at left-back, do not dispair. Lets get behind the boy. Wenger wouldn't have him in the squad if he didn't have something about him.

And here are some BBC Sport links for the games:

Stadium of Light : http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 322116.stm

Old Trafford: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 890624.stm

Theres not much mention of Hoyte, apart from some attacking runs in the OT game.

eddie_wills

qs said:
I'd prefer Flamini too but it looks like he wont play there anymore. To suggest Freddie makes no sense at all though.

Hoyte had a very good game last night. If you're so f****g blinkered that you cant even admit that the lad had a good game I really cant be bothered.

I'm not a Hoyte basher, but he was at fault for the Hamburg goal because he wasn't tucked in enough and left space for two men between him and the left centre half.

His passing was also poor at times, and when he gets forward he always has to check back inside and some of the momentum is gone as his left foot looks particularly poor. If Ronaldo runs at him on the outside, I can't see him coping on Saturday.

Hoyte wasn't particularly bad, but he didn't have a good game.

Top Bottom