• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL - Newcastle United V Arsenal | 13/08/11 | 17:30 | ESPN |

Armor for Sleep

Established Member
THunter said:
Our players after the game annoyed me, it was only Vermaelen and Robin from what i could see that never went over and shook Bartons hand. Song and Szczesny were seen laughing and hugging him after the game...idiots.

That really annoyed me too.

outlaw_member

Established Member
celestis said:
jay-d said:
As much as i hate him we need some John terry type characters in the team. no way would he stand for that crap and he would make other players know that as well.

Honestly , hugging after matches is fine especially tough ones , the boys weren't pushed around and won plenty contested ball . The way the boys behaved after the match shows they have grown up and don't fee like victims .

I suspect the team can't win either way really if we had behaved like prats after the game , we would have criticized for being sore losers and unable to hack the physical stuff . All this reaction irrational reaction and scrutiny is due to the result and nothing else.

Agreed, the last thing we needed was for our team to feel a sense of injustice, and go home crying to daddy Wenger that we were victimised again.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Anzac said:
Something that I had completely missed until I read it just now on f365 = play had not stopped at the time Barton dragged Gervinho to his feet = PENALTY as per Lehmann v Keane.

Your'e right Anzac it was a penalty twice , a fact that seems to have escaped everyone .

GOONER1991

Established Member
1macca1 said:
Joey Barton said:
"I have to take back blatantly calling him a cheat but he was still looking for a penalty and thankfully the referee knew what he was up to," he told Radio 5 Live. "I have to take responsibility for my actions and I should not have gone over and lifted him by his shirt. That was not the correct thing to do.

"We do push the boundaries but I felt disappointed by Gervinho trying to win a penalty. I am not a fool, I realise there is slight contact, but in my opinion he was seeking to gain an unfair advantage. Sometimes you react and I am not proud of the way I reacted.

"I did go down easily but it is not okay to hit me because it's me. I have been hit harder at school. It does not make what he did right or wrong but he raised his hand and the rules are you can't do that. I have made a meal of it but I knew Song had stamped on me and I was slightly aggrieved by that because I am aware the spotlight is on me at certain times, because of my stupidity in the past and people don't condone me easily.

"In 20 years of the Premier League there has been an influx of diving, and I sound hypocritical because I am guilty of going down too easily, but if I didn't and I stayed on my feet, I could be making my own team suffer if the officials had not seen it."
Yes you do sound ******* hypocritical.

"I like the courage of the player," Wenger said in The Guardian. "Nobody dismisses signing Joey Barton but I don't think we envisage doing that at the moment. He's a good player. Sometimes there's trouble with his temper but he's a great player."

He joked: "Maybe the way to sort Barton out is to sign him. Maybe that's the solution."
I don't like Arsène praising him, some of the squad our outraged with Joey and would want Arsène completely on their side.

That is the most hypocritical s**t I have ever heard. Firstly he complains that he's always in the spotlight and that people don't condone his actions easily. Well if he had of just stayed out of the whole situation, we'd all be talking about how disgusting Song's stamp on him was and how Barton did well to not react to it.

Then he goes on to complain about diving whilst acknowledging he's being hypocritical because he himself went down easily and has been "hit harder in school".

Let's not forget Taylor telling the ref that it was an elbow.

GOONER1991

Established Member
celestis said:
Anzac said:
Something that I had completely missed until I read it just now on f365 = play had not stopped at the time Barton dragged Gervinho to his feet = PENALTY as per Lehmann v Keane.

Your'e right Anzac it was a penalty twice , a fact that seems to have escaped everyone .

That escaped me also. What was actually given after the scuffle?

patrick42uk

Established Member
Got to say Gervinho was actually quite good in this game. I reckon with more bodies in the box on a couple of occasions, we could have taken advantage of his good work down the wings. HAd the beating of both full backs all day.

stuart

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
Got to say Gervinho was actually quite good in this game. I reckon with more bodies in the box on a couple of occasions, we could have taken advantage of his good work down the wings. HAd the beating of both full backs all day.

Yeah he was beating his man with ease, no matter who it was. I thought his final ball was very poor, but it's a good point about boides in the box. It's a real issue with this team imo Another reason i like have 2 strikers - especially when one drops deep so often.

number_0

Established Member
He has the same problem as theo though, he is very indecisive in the final third and his final ball is poor, maybe i shouldn't look too into it as SJP is a hard place to play at, but if fixes that, we would have one hell of a player.

This almost makes me feel ok with the fact that about watching RvP play in midfield.

ricky1985

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
Agree with that. He did look a little eager to make an impact, but it was his first proper game so that's completely understandable. I think it was a lack of understanding with his team mates that caused most of his problems in his final ball on Saturday. It will come with time, his link-play with Sow and, in particular, Hazard at Lille was absolutely top class, but it takes time to build that sort of understanding. The way he glides past people like they're not even there is unbelievable. Not seen anyone that good one-v-one at Arsenal since Henry used to beat fullbacks for fun.

General

Established Member
Legendary knobs like Poll and Jamie Redknapp have been very scathing about Barton's actions. In fact not very often do you see rent a ref Graham Poll stick the knife in another ref.

ebouenolike

Established Member
Verms vs Newcastle.

What a relief to have him back. <a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKHzVysOiII&feature=feedu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKHzVysO ... ture=feedu</a>

Anzac

Established Member
GOONER1991 said:
celestis said:
Anzac said:

That escaped me also. What was actually given after the scuffle?

Free kick to NUFC as a result of Gervinho's violent conduct. :roll:
I'm sure it was as they were moving into position for the restart that Song gave Barton that hug. :bash

Anzac

Established Member
1macca1 said:
"I like the courage of the player," Wenger said in The Guardian. "Nobody dismisses signing Joey Barton but I don't think we envisage doing that at the moment. He's a good player. Sometimes there's trouble with his temper but he's a great player."

He joked: "Maybe the way to sort Barton out is to sign him. Maybe that's the solution."
I don't like Arsène praising him, some of the squad our outraged with Joey and would want Arsène completely on their side.

I wasn't going to use this as another dig at AW, but I'm on a roll about this so what the h*ll.

I rate this from the manager as worse than our players giving Barton a hug after the whistle (but not as bad a Song's hug during the game almost immediately after the restart), and about on a par with Eboue's dive at OT re the Eduardo witch hunt.

You don't praise an opposition player in these circumstances because any hint of sarcasm is lost in the print media. Most of all you don't make jokes unless it is at the expense of that player or the match officials.

IMO at any future press conference before we play Barton I'd be enquiring as the whether the officials will be keeping an eye on his behind the ball activities, as he's been involved in off the ball incidents 3 years running & had 2 players sent off for violent conduct in retaliation, to say nothing of further incidents against other opponents.

I'd even go so far as to call him a loose cannon & menace on the field - perhaps he'd do something stupid early & get a red, OR he'd be on his best behaviour & ineffective as a result.

Arsenal Quotes

I always wanted to play in English football and Arsenal and Highbury IS English football to me.

Dennis Bergkamp

Daily Transfer Updates

Thursday, May 30

Arsenal are one of a number of clubs who have had discussions with the entourage of Monaco midfielder Youssouf Fofana [L’Equipe]

Arsenal are the front runners to sign Besiktas’ 18 year old striker Semih Kilicsoy, who scored 12 goals this season [HITC]

A deal for Bologna striker Joshua Zirkzee would involve a £13m commission for agent Kia Joorabchian [Football London]

Arteta wants to add a defender, a central midfielder, a forward and cover on the right wing for Bukayo Saka [Gary Jacob - The Times]

Arsenal are ready to enter the race for Feyenoord left-back Quilindschy Hartman when the Dutchman returns from injury next season [The Telegraph]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom