<

PL: Southampton vs Arsenal | December 16, 2018 13:30 GMT | Sky Sports

Discussion in 'Match Day Archive' started by APierre, Dec 13, 2018.

?

Match prediction

1. Southampton win

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Draw

5 vote(s)
    11.4%
  3. Arsenal win

31 vote(s)
    70.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MutableEarth

MutableEarth Bloody awesome NSFW avatars Trusted

Yeah, I'd argue that 4-3-3 would have been a much better idea going into this game. Would have done a better job of countering Southampton's use of space and their pressing traps.

NieThePiet, krengon, MLK79 and 3 others like this.
  2. HBL

HBL Well-Known Member

We don't have cb's that are good enough otherwise we wouldn't have conceded 23 goals.

It's pretty f*cking obvious. Mustafi isn't a starting cb at all. We've scored more goals than every team but City, we need a winger at some point but centre back is the obvious priority.

Our attack will be more than enough for top four if Laca and Aubameyang start games together regularly.

redanddread likes this.
  3. Ricardinho

Ricardinho La Liga Correspondent

Don't recall even seeing a replay on sky

4. GunnerUK

GunnerUK Well-Known Member

That’s the point I making though when I say we never turn it on and just go to sleep. If this game was @ Wembley today against Sp**s you can Guarantee we wouldn’t of played like that

5. gunner4lyfe

gunner4lyfe Well-Known Member

He will. Its still a derby and we will have our two CBs back

6. sammy89

sammy89 Well-Known Member

This loss is on the defence. Two goals should be enough to see off a team in the relegation zone, but we made them look like an Alex Ferguson team on the wings.

7. Garrincha

Garrincha Wilf Zaha Aficionado Trusted

The AMN - Monreal - Koscielny - Bellerin back four have played a few times haven't they?

8. Mrs Bergkamp

Mrs Bergkamp Established Member Trusted

My concern is that he doesn't seem to get off the ground well enough. That ball was there to be taken. He's been decent stopping shots but poor on crosses and also poor palming the ball away from danger. That's arguably 4 points he's cost us. Now watch every man and his dog bombard our box. I certainly don't blame him for trying but consistently poor execution is a worry and he's not commanded his box all season.

9. Mo Britain

Mo Britain Doom Monger

It's an argument but it would have meant playing Kos - who people are blaming for being unfit - and Monreal or Lichtsteiner (or both!) at centre-back. Meat and drink to Southampton's walking wardrobes.

10. lamby22

lamby22 It's Not Lupus

I would have went with Monreal at CB and AMN at LB in a back four with Kos and Bellerin.

Danishgooner18 likes this.
  11. Danishgooner18

Danishgooner18 New Member

I actually dont mind waiting to put in Lacazette or Auba until later in the game. For me the problem was that the midfield could not control the ball and link with our attack

12. TorontoGooner76

TorontoGooner76 Well-Known Member

My wife knew that I was pissed because I was telling yelling at the tv telling Özil not to stand there and to go get the ball back. He is being a big suck. At least Ramsey gives his all even though he understands that he is in the outs.

MLK79 and gunner4lyfe like this.
  13. Ozil'sCloakOfInvisibility

Ozil'sCloakOfInvisibility Not a Closet Spurs Fan

If someone looked up the Top 3 passing combinations for us today it'll probably mostly involve the players in the back 3 and Torreira. Just zero penetration through the middle, constantly forced back to eventually go long. It was a tricky call for Emery tbf. Either go with a back 5 for more defensive security because of the personnel or play an extra man in the middle and push the opposition back with controlled possession and leave yourself slightly light at the back. Hindsight is 20/20 but he chose wrong today.

Danishgooner18 likes this.
  14. gunner4lyfe

gunner4lyfe Well-Known Member

So what was he supposed to do? Its a free header so he had to try.

NieThePiet and redanddread like this.
  15. GoonerDKcph

GoonerDKcph Member

Özil looked very little like someone who wants to play. He is sooo lazy

redanddread likes this.
  16. Rex Banter

Rex Banter Got Swerved By Gallas Trusted

Also the need for a CB is overstated imo, we’re inviting all the pressure on to us by not having enough quality in midfield and out wide.

celestis likes this.
  17. hydrofluoric acid

hydrofluoric acid Many Men Wish Death Upon Me

We really missed Saka this game.

MLK79, celestis and al-Ustaadh like this.
  18. TopCorner

TopCorner New Member

He also lost the ball through lazy miscontrol countless times leading to a disjointed, ponderous attack.

He didnt create 2 or 3 good chances. He, along with Iwobi, need bench time.

19. ptrcopp

ptrcopp Well-Known Member

I agree he hasn’t been good, but when all our GKs are failing the issue can’t lay with them.
    We have been better defensively since the beginning of the season, but there are the same issues that have been there since Merte broke

20. Mo Britain

Mo Britain Doom Monger

Ok, at least it's a view even if I don't think it would have worked. Is Pleggy fit though because he wasn't even on the bench against Qarabag?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.