• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Wembley Hotspur v Arsenal | March 2, 2019 12:30 GMT | BT Sports

What will the result be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TorontoGooner76

Dissapointment to say the least. It was a tense game to watch, of course. We had them getting very frustrated at 1-nil. Yes, there was a clear 4 Sp**s players offside when the free kick was sent in, but why does Mustafi give Kane the nudge? They should all know that they will go to ground at first chance to try and win a penalty. But...Mustafi is Mustafi. I think everyone else showed great control today in that regard. It is a shame because I though Mustafi did well enough at right back up until that point. He either needs to be sold, or else should be way down the pecking order as far as defenders go. The first option would be best as he just does not have the mental concentration needed.

I couldn't believe we were awarded the penalty that late but Auba's body language just seemed to show a lack of confidence in that situation. I'm sure he is gutted.

By the way, since Torreira was shown a straight red does this mean an automatic 3 match ban?

Glad we didn't lose of course, but I feel a bit let down by the result. Oh well, onwards...

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

That's correct. Neither penalty should have been awarded. Kane was clearly offside and I don't think there was enough on Aubameyang for his penalty. To make matters worse, Vertonghen was charging into the box as Aubameyang took his (horrible) spot kick. By FIFA regulations, that alone should have required a re-kick, but to make matters worse it also put Vertonghen in position to keep Aubameyang from scoring on the rebound.

Arsenal would have taken three points today if VAR was in effect. In a vacuum, a draw in this game isn't really a bad result, but the circumstances make it a highly disappointing one. On the positive side, the team continued to play very well and with great effort. There's a pretty favorable run of games to finish out the season once the United game is clear, so I'm still feeling pretty good about the team's chances of finishing 4th (or even 3rd).

The problem is that the majority of our remaining games are away from home, to tricky sides like Wolves, Leicester and Everton to boot.

I really hope we can continue this run of form all the way through to the end of the season because we'll need to arrest our recent poor away form.

HBL

Established Member
The problem is that the majority of our remaining games are away from home, to tricky sides like Wolves, Leicester and Everton to boot.

I really hope we can continue this run of form all the way through to the end of the season because we'll need to arrest our recent poor away form.
Yes but they might not be playing for anything. There are often at least 2-3 teams that start sliding down the table.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity

Pull it together, Ziggy. If we have anything about us, beating middle of the road riff raff like that for CL football is something we should be taking care of.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Mcmanaman said man of the match was between Sokratis and Monreal, and gave it to Sokratis. About right.

@YeahBee I don’t think you ever watch any football, saying Monreal was useless.

ONCE he went up to provided width and an attacking option

His usual alibi defense
Racks up The easy interceps so you get fooled by stats, but does to little proactice defending, he is just reactive and pretends to defend to the point that he doesnt get made but the Next guy is

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

That’s definitely not how they work. If it’s not a black and white decision like the wrong player being sent off or an incident that hasn’t been seen by the officials, they do everything in their power to deter appeals, because they care more about not undermining the authority of referees than they do about right or wrong.

VAR is truly their worst nightmare. It will show how incompetent their officials really are.

We have VAR over here , will be great with the offside calls but when it comes to fouls and penalties is really up to the discretion of the person viewing it . Some real head scratcher decisions as a result .

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist

Well, Arsenal played pretty well away from home today. And the recent run of poor form coincided with a lot of injuries that had key players out of the lineup. They need to expect to beat Wolves, Leicester and Everton on the road and be confident that they can.

Besides, United not only has both Wolves and Everton away, but also still must play Manchester City and Chelsea. Plus they play Arsenal at The Emirates. So Arsenal certainly has an advantage in the scheduling.

Chelsea still has to play Everton and Leicester City away, Wolves at home, plus they have away games at United and Liverpool. And they had been kind of a mess lately until they beat Sp**s the other day. Sp**s, by the way, still have both Liverpool and Manchester City away.

Wryer

Took a deep breathe, and convinced myself it was overall a brilliant game from the team, bar individual disappointments from Mustafi, Auba and Lacazette. Sokratis, Kos, Leno and Mhki were the standout performers. Very glad that Mhki is finding his levels again. Early days but probably his best 2-game stretch since his Dortmund days?

Especially disappointed with Auba to be honest. His face seemed to say, "fk me, I have to take a penalty now?" Elite strikers have supreme confidence in their finishing, and that's what keeps them so efficient.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Needed Ramsey on the pitch for the penalty ffs.

It’s done now, let’s move on, I’m tired beating a dead horse.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
With missed chances or incorrect decisions it’s all ifs and buts because you don’t know for sure how the rest of game would have panned out - but this is one of the few times you can be fairly certain the pen miss cost the victory.

The ref was clearly trying to even up his earlier mistake for the sp*rs pentaly IMO

Been fairly indifferent to Arsenal the last few seasons, no matter what the game. The love had just faded out of it. Everything went stale. But at certain points in this match it honestly felt like I was having a heart attack .... I suppose that’s something positive to take away :lol:

Shout out the nutter gooner openly dancing & celebrating the Arsenal goal in the back of club Wembley. Legendary. It fully kicked off and I don’t know how a bigger fight was avoided.

Also a thought there was a really low number of police compared to the old days... a few minor scraps when a big block of away fans came off the train, not a copper in sight until then. Austerity maybe?

Last edited:

HBL

Established Member
Jenkinson's limited but youré doing him a disservice there .
No I'm not. A half decent game against Bournemouth reserves doesn't mean he should be starting games regularly. Again not sure how Jenks has developed such a reputation/cult hero status amongst fans despite doing absolutely nothing for two and half seasons, he plays like he has his shoe laces tied together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom