• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Wolves v Arsenal | April 24, 2019 | KO: 19:45 BST

Can we be slightly less crap than Chelsea and get 4th?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
What were the other options missing PEA and Ramsey though?

Bench was bereft of options, you can’t properly chase a game when your only attacking choice is a teenager who’s yet to start a PL game.

Start with Kola? OzilTaryan is great if everything is going well but when your back to the wall away from home its akin to playing with 9 men. We’ve seen it time and time again individually from them both this season. Not a reaction to today’s game, I just really really don’t fancy doubling down on weak-ass players away from home.

Even a dour draw would have massively helped today.

No major issue with the boss. Calls for him to go leave me lost for words TBH.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

This is the opposite of United though. All Emery has to do is retool the squad, get back into the CL and hopefully get to a point where the club is either challenging for the league or at least comfortably top 4 like Sp**s this season.

If anything, a lot of people want to do exactly what United did and try to find the next Fergie/Wenger even though you'll never see managers like that again.

Emery’s got a big job on here, feel like the injuries have been unlucky with three important contributors all out for the season but it’s really shone a light on how unbalanced this squad is.

We have no midfielders apart from Ramsey who can carry the ball forwards, we have one natural winger because we sold all three first team wide men last year and we have a collection of very iffy full backs aside from Bellerin.

The Laca and PEA signings for me have papered over the cracks, without them we’d be in free fall right now.

MLK79

Elite Drama Queen
This is the opposite of United though. All Emery has to do is retool the squad, get back into the CL and hopefully get to a point where the club is either challenging for the league or at least comfortably top 4 like Sp**s this season.

If anything, a lot of people want to do exactly what United did and try to find the next Fergie/Wenger even though you'll never see managers like that again.
I disagree in that I think outside of Moyes, United backed their managers in the transfer market. They were willing to spend a decent amount of money to stay where they were. They failed miserably at it though. We've done similar in our own way, we've signed a 5th of a league squad. Obviously, we don't have United money but what we did was bring in some and hope we make top 4 this season.

We don't have the financial clout of United so I don't think that's how we should've gone. If rumours are to be believed, we still won't have that much money this summer. Rebuilding a squad with some talented youth players that actually have a resale value would've been good for us.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Letting Cesc and Nasri go in the same window was a disaster. Wenger never recovered from that. Completely changed the age profile of players he went for after that to avoid getting his heart broken

I think something happened to the scouting department at around the same time, up until then we’d been hitting gold almost every window for years.

Fàbregas and Clichy then RVP, Eboué and Flamini then Hleb, Walcott, Song, Adebayor and Diaby then Diarra and Sagna then Ramsey and Nasri then who?

How many young players that we’ve signed post 2010 have actually been successes? Oxlade-Chamberlain maybe? Holding has shown promise I guess.

Every other young player has completely flopped. One of the only successes is Gnabry who we sold when his value was at rock bottom.

Last edited:

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Back from the game. Firstly, I did seek out the AFTV mob but as they were setting up there was a bit of trouble with the Wolves fans, I didn’t have the energy and I was illegally parked so I left.

I was central in the Steve Bull stand and had a great view of the entire game. A few of the things I’m about to point out will come as no surprise, but tonight has amplified it for me.

- Our lack of quality in wide areas is honestly appalling. That’s wingers and full backs. Nacho, Iwobi, Mkhi and AMN failed to beat their man time and time again. Not sure any of them beat their opposite number once. Urgently needs addressing. Not remotely good enough.

- Torreira is still fragile mentally. He has bags of ability but playing in the PL is a lot different than playing in Serie A and he’s finding out quickly. He’s been kicked a few times and each time it’s affected him. Sent off against Spuds with a rush of blood to the head. Had to be withdrawn against Watford after the Deeney incident. And today he could’ve seen red after a two footed challenge- it was shortly after he got a kick. He needs to mature and keep a lid on it.

- A lot of people have Lacazette as their player of the season, I’m not so sure. For all his quality, he doesn’t score anywhere near enough goals. He has 6 away goals in the league since he joined. Today, his movement was shocking. If his last minute dash in behind didn’t work he was either offside or fresh out of ideas.

- Özil saw enough of the ball to make things happen. The movement in front of him was nonexistent but he was very half hearted with his dribbling and his passing. I found myself getting very frustrated with him.

Shocking day at the office. The only reason I’m somewhat calm is because City did the business against Yanited. Need to capitalise on any result with Yanited vs Chelski.

JuanCarlosValeron

It is crazy looking back at it, Wenger and the club had hit on a winning policy.

Sign young players who show promise, not all will make it but if you have good enough scouting you should strike gold enough times to be in the black and remain competitive.

Fast forward a decade and we’re having windows with either no outfield players or windows bringing in players with no resale value.

Absolutely infuriating.

Disheartening more than anything. I completely concur with @GDeep™ when he asserts that the Arsène of old would never have signed Aubameyang. I still remember Kroenke attending his first match after the takeover. You mentioned the game earlier, the draw against Liverpool where Arsène laid into Dalglish. The third most frustrating season after 07-08 and 02-03. It was the same story as the former, Arsène launching a title assault against much more prosperous competitors with a team assembled on a shoestring budget. Two talents compensating for the lack of investment by making great strides under Arsène. Arsène deployed Djourou against Chelsea in December 2010 and he appeared to bring the aerial ability and physical presence that we sorely lacked. Wilshere slotted seamlessly in next to Cesc and Song who had broken through the year before. Man Utd were not convinving but a joint effort from the media and the ref meant that they were the favourites. I still recall their match against Blackpool, 2-0 down when Rafael committed the most blatant penalty you'll ever see only for the ref to wave away the appeals. I was reading Am at the time and still remember @ricky1985 going absolutely ballistic. We went to Wigan with a side similar to the one Unai put out against Palace, we went 2-1 up and then conceded. Fabregas was at home when a free kick was blocked in the penalty area by the hand of a Wigan player. Our captain who had given away a penalty in a similar manner in the 3-2 defeat against Sp**s vented his frustration on twitter. When we prevailed over Everton in January 2011 despite Lee Mason coming up with a novel interpretation of the off-side rule to give the away side the lead, I started to believe that we could go all the way. Skysports obviously rolled out another corrupt ref to defend Mason, whose integrity had been questioned by Cesc during half-time, prompting Moyes to question why Fabregas was not sent off. Even when one decisive decision goes against us, it is never enough. When we comfortably beat Wigan at home, the press was up in arms about RVP benefitting from standing in an off-side when Theo was put through. It was a perfectly legitimate goal in a comfortable win, but the ref had applied the rules and we benefitted from it and the pundits were having none of it. The game against Newcastle presented Phil Dowd with an opportunity to put us in our place. He delivered. 4-0 up, Abou was dismissed for pushing Barton after the latter had attempted to join the 'they dont like it up em group", comprising Dan Smith, Martin Taylor and Shawcross. Dowd then gave the Geordies two non-existing penalties. When Barton converted the first, Woijech was cautioned for being pushed by Nolan. Tiote scored the last goal before the linesman who had not seen anything all game, disallowed RVP's winner. The wheels came of after the away game against Barcelona where the ref again played his part. In the summer of 2011, AW had to make his annual profit of 20-25 mio. by selling Clichy, Cesc and Nasri. AW had his replacements lined up for the former two, namely Gibbs and Ramsey. Gervinho was brought in as Nasri's replacement. Thinking about it, its extraordinary how much praise Poch is receiving. Some Arsenalfans argue that he is not doing something Aw hadn't already done. That is doing Arsène a disservice. None of them had much money to spend, but in addition to this, Wenger had to sell a couple of players year after year to generate a profit. Had the roles been reversed, Poch would have had to replace Son,Alli, Erikssen and Kane by now. The new season started with a draw, Peter Walton denied Gervinho a penalty and subsequently sent him off for an offence against Barton he never saw. Luckily, Taylor was there to tell him that the Ivorian had elbowed Barton. We played against Pool with Jenkinson at right back and Frimpong in midfeld but AW did not seem to derogate from his principles. The game against United with a decimated team was the turning point. While Chamberlain and Gervinho were typical AW signings, the acquisitions of Mertesacker, Santos, , Arteta,Bennayoun and Park stuck out like sore thumbs. Arteta ptoved instrumental in us getting top fourth and came to represent the new transfer strategy. Good, experienced players who are going to help us consolidate fourth place. Giroud, Podolski, Cech, Flamini, Debuchy, Perez and opportunistic purchases such as Cazorla, Özil,Sanchez and Aubameyang. We tried to find a balance by signing Mustafi, Xhaka and Lacazette, while promising players, not possesing the same physical qualities as those signed by AW during his first 14 years in charge. I understand the frustration regarding Mislintats departure. Here was a man, whom many hoped would provide us with a distinct strategy. Instead our hopes rest with the only man who seems to have any knowledge when it comes to football. While arguably a respectable tactician, it remains to be seen whether he can mask the deficiencies in our structure like his predecessor did so brilliantly for 17 years. One thing is for certain, Unai is as dignified and classy when confronted with bent referees as AW was.

Last edited:

How many young players that we’ve signed post 2010 have actually been successes? Oxlade-Chamberlain maybe? Holding has shown promise I guess.

Every other young player has completely flopped. One of the only successes is Gnabry who we sold when his value was at rock bottom.

Bennacer seems to be doing well in Italy. But it really is a shame that while France golden generation was emerging the only players we manage to get from there were Sanogo, Jeff, Fortune and Bennacer. It really should be investigated how we missed on so many talents.

bojed

AM Resident Joker #1
We still lost embarrassingly without Mustafi.

This got me thinking, maybe the whole team is actually a bunch of Mustafis.

blaze_of_glory

Back from the game. Firstly, I did seek out the AFTV mob but as they were setting up there was a bit of trouble with the Wolves fans, I didn’t have the energy and I was illegally parked so I left.

I was central in the Steve Bull stand and had a great view of the entire game. A few of the things I’m about to point out will come as no surprise, but tonight has amplified it for me.

- Our lack of quality in wide areas is honestly appalling. That’s wingers and full backs. Nacho, Iwobi, Mkhi and AMN failed to beat their man time and time again. Not sure any of them beat their opposite number once. Urgently needs addressing. Not remotely good enough.

- Torreira is still fragile mentally. He has bags of ability but playing in the PL is a lot different than playing in Serie A and he’s finding out quickly. He’s been kicked a few times and each time it’s affected him. Sent off against Spuds with a rush of blood to the head. Had to be withdrawn against Watford after the Deeney incident. And today he could’ve seen red after a two footed challenge- it was shortly after he got a kick. He needs to mature and keep a lid on it.

- A lot of people have Lacazette as their player of the season, I’m not so sure. For all his quality, he doesn’t score anywhere near enough goals. He has 6 away goals in the league since he joined. Today, his movement was shocking. If his last minute dash in behind didn’t work he was either offside or fresh out of ideas.

- Özil saw enough of the ball to make things happen. The movement in front of him was nonexistent but he was very half hearted with his dribbling and his passing. I found myself getting very frustrated with him.

Shocking day at the office. The only reason I’m somewhat calm is because City did the business against Yanited. Need to capitalise on any result with Yanited vs Chelski.
Lost a lot of respect for you here. No one should park illegally.

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
'Race' for 4th shaping up to be a snail's crawl. Hopefully there's some title race intrigue, though I kind of feel both teams will hold serve until 38 are played.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐

I know its hard to notice but did you notice if the defense talk to eachothers or someone acting like leader??

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Yeah I'm not so sure either , his link up play around the box and in attack is really hit and miss and the attack breaks down because of it . Also his balance is mediocre for a short bloke .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom