• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player Ratings - Arsenal vs Coventry

jaguars4ever

Martinez: 5 - He hardly had anything to do the entire match. The one time Coventry threatened to score in the first half, he confidently extinguished the danger. However, he really ought to have smothered the incoming cross which led to the goal we conceded.

Santos: 5 - A quiet game from our favourite Brazilian. No doubt rusty, he gave the ball away a few times in the first half, and was rather sedate the whole game in his forward play. Absent were his cavalier forward ventures.

Djourou: 6 - I thought DJ had a decent game overall, barring one or two situations. He won the ball a couple times further up the pitch snuffing out the danger before it manifested while also allowing us to launch quick counter attacks. However, it was criminal to have let the Coventry player get goal side of him in the 6 yard box for the goal we conceded. While arguably the most experienced defender on the pitch, the gulf in class between him and the likes of Mertesacker, Vermaelen, and Koscielny is profound.

Angha: 4 - He had a poor game in my opinion. This guy did nothing right going forward. His crossing was poor, the passing was awful, and he repeatedly ran the ball into dead ends. Although one can argue that he was stable in defense, this is not enough from a full-back playing in our system especially given that the whole game was camped in Coventry's half.

Miquel: 8 - An immense performance by the young Spaniard. He was solid in defense and rounded off the game with a peach of a goal.

Walcott: 8 - While I don't approve of his posturing in front of the media for advancing his private agenda, it cannot be denied that when given time and space to run with the ball he offers profound penetration and sublime finishing with aplomb. However, what concerned me was the manner that he went missing for substantial portions of the game (sometimes not being involved in the game for 5 to 10 minutes at a time) prior to Coventry's collapse in the second half. Nevertheless, as a mobile false 9, his composure and finishing skills offer us a superior option to Gervinho (or Geronimo as my old man likes to call him). Now whether Walcott's consistency is up to scratch is another question all together...

Oxlade-Chamberlain: 9 - The OX was dynamite all match as was truly unlucky not to have scored 2 or 3 more goals. He was dangerous every time we moved forward, while being involved in the build up and spear-heading many of our chances.

Coquelin: 7 - Le Coq worked hard all game and was a dynamo engine in midfield. While overshadowed by the brilliance of our other players, he most certainly went about his business quietly and efficiently.

Arshavin: 10 (MotM) - Ahh, the enigmatic Arshavin. He had, what you can reasonably call in modern football, a perfect game. Yes, not everything he tried to pull off worked...but pretty much most of it did. And what delightful, imaginative, and precise moments they were. Shavva single-handedly orchestrated all our creative moves and was the centrifugal figure in all our lay-offs, through balls, flicks, and counter-attacks. And that's without even mentioning the Bergkamp-esque first touch and finish for his goal.

Yennaris: 6 - Didn't put a foot wrong. But neither did he do anything memorable of note either. An average performance.

Giroud: 7 - I'm relieved that our big Frenchman has finally broken his duck, and in spectacular fashion too. The move leading up to the goal was Invincible-esque first touch counter-attacking football, and his first touch chip over the keeper failed to disappoint. However, he really ought to have buried that penalty, and being distracted by a half-naked man is no excuse...unless you're Ashley Cole.

---

Gnabry: 8 - It appears we might have our hands on another footballing prodigy. The guy looks to be on another level in his touch, ability to glance away from people with the ball, outstanding dribbling ability, and incredible shooting technique. He could have had a hat-trick if not for Coventry's deflections.

Frimpong: 7 - Made a stunning Hollywood ball that really ought to have been converted. Having this guy really makes you forget about Alex Song. He also showed great energy and hunger for the ball.

Chamakh: 7 - While it completely baffles me that he failed to enter Coventry's 18 yard box even once, it cannot be denied that his link-up play was clean, well-timed, and overall quite slick. This guy will never score you bucket loads, but what he can do is help the rest of team do so. And that's exactly what he did this game. A water carrier of the final third if there was such a thing. Whether we can afford such a luxury is another question.

GunnerGetYah

Established Member
Dunno how you can give Yennaris a 6.. got assists for the 3rd and 4th goals after tackling players and making a quick turnover with perfectly weighted passes. Was involved in the 5th goal too, creating space for Arshavin to get his cross in by beating a player..

Also dunno how you could give Arshavin a 10.. his goal was well controlled but he wasn't really under much pressure against a poor Coventry defence, in the premiership he wouldn't get that time and space.

jaguars4ever

GunnerGetYah said:
Dunno how you can give Yennaris a 6.. Also dunno how you could give Arshavin a 10..
If you disagree with my ratings, feel free to post your own.

GunnerGetYah said:
against a poor Coventry defence, in the premiership he wouldn't get that time and space.
What a player could hypothetically do or fail do in another game is irrelevant. This is a ratings thread for this specific game.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Just so you know lads I wont be using this towards on my records because it wasn't on TV anywhere and there were no streams so I would imagine for the majority it would be hard to make assessments on who played well.

Sorry for those that attended the game.

Buhry

Established Member

Martinez 5 - Not much to do

Angha 3 - Not good in defence, shocking crossing and shooting

Djourou 6 - Decemt, could have done better for their goal

Miquel - 8 - Solid in defence, very composed on the ball, good goal. Great performance.

Santos - 5 - invisible for the most part, caught out for their goal

Coquelin - 6 - Meh, not great, not too bad. Needs to impose himself more on the game if he wants to be more than a fringe player.

Yennaris - 6.5 - Same as coquelin really, 2 nice passes for the 3rd and th goal though

Ox - 6,5 - other than the goal I felt he had a rather poor game, especially in the first half he lost the ball a lot. Better in the 2nd, strikes the ball well.

Walcott - 7 - Good goals, especially the 2nd one. Very anonymous before his first goal though, could have/should have scored another.

Giroud - 6.5 - Good goal, assisted arshavin, not a great pass though, hard to control. Didn't do mch else though and coventry were not a good team.

Arshavin - 7.5 - Very hot and cold. Good goal, lively, played some good passes. Coventry gave him a ton of space though and he also gave the ball away cheaply a few times, and doesn't really contribute defensively.

Subs:
Gnabry: 7, looked lively
Chamakh: 6.5, good touches and a few clever passes
Frimpong: 6, anonymous

Overall I wasn't impressed, especially the first half was poor, obviously as time went on coventry collapsed a bit and the goals started coming and the 2nd half was much better. Miquel and Gnabry were the positives for me, both look very talented. Good to see Arshavin, Giroud, chambo and walcott get goals as well, should be good for their confidence.

Note that I wathed the game on a 9 inch screen or so and had a bit of troulbe telling the difference between especially coquelin and yennaris at times :lol:

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
FeedTheOx said:
VAVAVOOM 14 said:
Agree. Angha had a nightmare. Coquelin has poor technique.
Coquelin does not have poor technique at all.

Yup, to say that Coquelin has poor technique is to admit to not having seen him play too often.

Arsenal Quotes

I knew we were very different, that he (Ferguson) had a total hold over his club while at that time I was still more of a coach. I also recognised his huge qualities. He knew how to surround himself with the right people and didn't rest on his laurels when he was successful.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom